Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Alternate tool options for punches?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by NoSmoking, Sep 16, 2014.

1. NoSmoking

NoSmoking Springfield Member

I wasn't sure if this was the correct forum for a question like this, so if its wrong please let me know.

I just picked up an HK VP9 and wanted to change out the grips, but it asks for a 2.8mm punch to remove the pin. I'm still relatively new to firearms so I don't have many of the necessary tools yet.

Is there something else I could use to safely (and without damage) remove the pin?

Thanks for any advice.

2. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

A 7/64" drill bit would work. use the driven end and push some plastic or wrap tape around the cutting end to protect it as you tap.

NoSmoking likes this.
  3. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I have ground the point off appropriate sized nail and used it as a punch, you will need several nails, soak the part in light oil first.

4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a set of transfer pin punches for cheap, only $9.99
    The little center point helps set AR roll pins without marring up the pins.
    They also fit the lower receivers holes perfectly, so when you are assembling the lower they can be used as a guide rod, and if you use the other end, it will work as a pin drift.
    If you're worried about marring the pin, then also pick up a set of small brass drifts

image_18450.jpg

Nickb likes this.
  5. NoSmoking

NoSmoking Springfield Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. Those are great tips!

I completely forgot about Harbor Freight, thanks for the reminder!

6. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I use a "Chop Stick" with a .223 case over one end to push out AR Pivot Pins.
    Also, a brass toilet seat bolt makes a handy drift punch.:p
    Sometimes you just have to get creative. ;)

7. huthuthike

huthuthike Hillsboro OR Active Member

Ace Hardware has brass bar stock, I spent $10-$20 and got about 12" of every size they had. Cut them down to appropriate sizes and they have worked well. I figure if they bend I was probably doing something wrong.

Capn Jack likes this.