JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On another form, there was an article about recommended items for your range bag. Highly recommended was a webbing-type tourniquet with a plastic buckle to secure it and a plastic finger loop on the end to tighten it in place. It's claimed that the tourniquet can be applied by one hand, by the injured party, should it ever have to be used. A tourniquet could be a life-saver and it takes up almost no room in a range bag....even one like mine which is starting to resemble the back room at Wal Mart! I would like to expand on this somewhat to recommend a C.A.T. (Combat Applied Tourniquet) Tourniquet, from Composite Resources in Rock Hill SC. This one is standard equipment of some armies and also used by many EMT services here. It is also made of a light webbing but it has a pocket running its length, in which there's a cord. Twisting a built-in handle tightens the tourniquet. The webbing is formed into a loop, which goes around the appendage and a long tail with very aggresssive velcro laminated to it.

So, what's the alternate use for rifle shooters? Competitive shooters use a leather strap, which they tighten around the upper arm. The other end is clipped to a metal fitting under the forward part of the stock. When the shooter pushes against the stock, the belt becomes one rigid side of a triangle. The other sides are the forearm and the upper arm. The rifle becomes stabilized, without using a prop of any kind. The tourniquet acts the same way. Put your arm through the large loop and tighten with the handle, wrap the 'tail' end of the strap around the stock or forward sling attachment and squeeze the velcro shut. You now have a rigid triangle. An advantage of the tourniquet is that it accomodates any kind of jacket you're wearing and you can tighten of loosen the 'triangle' as you wish. The tourniquets are available through safety supply stores and they're inexpensive, if you don't choose the 'military' option.

Considering a rifle sling as a tourniquet?

Not the worst idea, however someone's belt would be a quicker alternative.

Considering a rifle sling as a solo tourniquet application?

Would be challenging & take far longer than a belt.

...or just carry a CAT type regardless of what your doing.

Agreed, however oddities & negligence can occur anywhere. I'll normally bring our full trauma bag in the truck when we hit the range.

However it would be far more likely to assist a witnessed cardiac event, rather than an GSW.
Agreed, however oddities & negligence can occur anywhere. I'll normally bring our full trauma bag in the truck when we hit the range.

However it would be far more likely to assist a witnessed cardiac event, rather than an GSW.
A range should be one of the safest places anywhere. However, I did have a 'heart stopper' one time. At one end of the line, there was a bunch of kids fooling around. They had just bought an AR-handgun and 6, 30 round mags. The AR didn't even have a sight. They decided to make a 'gangsta' movie and were spraying the entire downrange with lead! I was at the other end, carefully obeying the red/orange/green lights. When the light said 'hot range', I carefully lined up for a 100 yard shot, concentrated and started the breathing cycle. My Remington has a very light trigger and just as I was in the last 10% pull before it went off, one of the doofus kids strolled right in front of me. I packed up and sat in the car shaking for 20 minutes before I could drive home. Your point about a trauma bag is well taken!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top