JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been thinking that a person should try and carry a couple different types of fire starter. Matches are great but if a person can get fire with a ferro rod , or fire piston the last much longer....**** if the weather in Oregon lets you I have been using a Magnafing glass as practice. My thought is that by using other methods your are not burning you consumables.

I carry a mag starter have for years. Works wet or dry, I also carry a tin of those gel blocks for additional help. Had one occasion to use it on a canoe trip from ****. I never get more than 100 feet from my truck when up in the woods without my pack.

A friend of mine carries the 'Firestick' - the one I believe is endorsed by Bear Grylls. I have watched him get a fire going in minutes with it. Always a good idea though to carry one 15 minute fuzee, shrinkwraped and protected to use in an extreme emergency. I always had one duct taped to a backpack rail when I used to backpack heavily but never had to use it - came close though once in a snowstorm.

Just the other day I dinked around with a cotton ball with a bit of vaseline and a old magnesium bar with the striker part. It took about 6-7 strokes with the striker part and "ta da" cotton ball burned for about 3 minutes.

I carry a stick with a flint and a steel on it , a quart size bag of shredded magnesium and two road flares in my pack - I feel pretty good about this combination. Never really needed them but feel I can generate enough heat to almost get anything burning.

James Ruby

yep I have used cotton balls dipped into wax & ferro rod striker with good luck. Heck i used to use the toilet paper oil filters on a piece of farm gear and they would burn like crazy but I dont want to carry the weight. even flares get to be to much for one use....Onces=pounds and pounds = pain.. I am alway looking for smaller and lighter ways to go. Better yet ones that last along time.

cotton balls saturated with vaseline and a magnesium and flint starter for the win. I put them in a altoid can and the vac seal them, have used five year old ones this year with no problems. I also put some strike anywhere matches in there with them in an old small pill bottle.

For larger fires:
I gather old candles and gently melt in a cheap Goodwill pot.
I use paper cupcake forms filled with sawdust or dryer lint.
Pour the melted wax onto them and let cool.

For smaller fires:
Cut cardboard into 1/2" wide x 3" long strips. Be very careful cutting with a box cutter!
Soak the strips in the melted wax and let cool.

Try using a Blast-Match or similar item. It can be done with one hand if injured. It combines "flint/ferro" rod with a striker.

im really surprised know one has said a bic lighter they are light if they get wet you can still dry them out. that being said i always carry a magnezium flint fire starter with dryer lint in sealled containers but still bring a lighter .. i really never bring matches since if they get wet they are useless. even water proof matches over the years will deterorate

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top