JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never again. Maybe if the guy running the store was more interested in making a sale than bullbubblegumting with his buddies I'd go back. Only reason I didn't give it a poor rating was because they were selling guns and the lady was at least making an effort to acknowledge other people in the store

Spent a lot of time there, 30 years and 3 owners. It is not the friendliest place, in reality the culture of most small gun shops usually are very intimidating to many. Al's is no different. I don't go in to gunshops anymore and expect friendly, but I do expect to be treated courteous and efficiently. Marcus (the new owner) is friendly enough, but again like most, can be snarky to others to show he is an "expert". It is an okay place, good to find ammo that BiMart doesn't sell, and has fair prices on firearms usually. They really have increased their business since the new owner for being an out of a way place. I have bought a lot of guns, ammo,and shooting gear there over the years and used them as a FFL for shipping. All in all, nothing abnormal for a gun shop.

I have had several great experiences at Al's. He usually has some interesting used handguns. I've bought a sweet S&W .38 Special and a G23 there, both at lower than expected prices. He had some Fiocchi .223 at lower than market rate back when there was NO .223 on other shelves.

I've even sold a gun to him for some quick cash. He was totally forthright on how he was grading the gun, how much he would pay and eventually sell it for. One gun he flat out told me he couldn't give me enough for and I should hang on to it.

Owner is Marcus I believe. He can be distracted at times, but if you let him know you are looking to buy the right gun he will help you out and be real honest about the gun.

He has mostly hunting rifles and a ton of Browning hunting clothes. One of the first shops I check when I am just looking for something different and want an honest place to browse. Has some sweet collector grade M1 Garands on the wall.

I've had pretty good experience there. He does good gunsmithing work for reasonable prices. There is usually a lot of BSing with his buddies, but that's kind of to be expected in a small gun shop like that. If he knows you're serious he's very helpful. Not the lowest prices in town, but not the highest either.

I took a gun stock in to be finished, a synthetic Banser high tech specialty's stock, asked him to look at it and give me a price to finish and fit the butt pad and paint, i was quoted 300-400 , ok so given some finish time needed, the stock was already properly bedded for the action and bottom metal , asked what kind of time from i was told 3-4 weeks, so heres where the mistake began i left the stock to be finished

in a month i called and got the " a couple weeks" called again in a month and got the " a couple weeks " and again in a month i got the " a couple weeks " so now i am thinking i will just go get it and i showed up , " wheres my gun and stock " a well it's not finished yet " so what is done ? a butt pad is fitted " poorly " and about 15 minutes with a dremel and so i pay for what was done and out i go , oh the cost 165.00 bucks , it was also the opinion of others there was only 15-20 with a dremel tool, not ever gonna be back there for anything

he has missed out on a lot of future work with me thats for sure........

Tried repeatedly to buy a very common Ruger 22 pistol from them. "We'll get it ordered and give you a call when it's here."......weeks....."Oh, I forgot. I'll get you one, should be a week or two.".....weeks...."Oh yea, blah, blah, excuse, blah, blah, blah." Some much for supporting the little local shop. I would gladly pay a little more to support a local little guy but this is my second bad experience with buying a gun there.

I had a good experience with Marcus at Al's Gun Shop. I made my first firearm purchase there. Marcus helped me through the process and he sold the gun for $40 under the tag price. It was an overall pleasant experience.

IMG_0600.JPG

Recently I dropped of my Ruger 10/22 for some barrel work. I asked Marcus to chop (to legal length) the barrel and thread a flash hider on the end of the barrel just for looks. He did one better.

Marcus machined the barrel to accept the flash hider and run the barrel full length of the flash hider. This kept everything legal and on top of that kept the barrel a good length without losing 4.5" of it. What a great idea.

Marcus said it would take a week to complete due to other orders in line. I called Marcus early and asked if he could complete my order as I was going shooting that weekend. The next day it was done. Very pleased with the service and Marcus knows his stuff. I'd recommend Al's Gun Shop to all gun owners. Thank You!

IMG_0600.JPG

I was raised in that neck of the woods. My dad and I have bought many, many guns there. I bought many of my first and best guns there, many fond memories of hanging out there with my dad. First Al, then Stan, now Marcus. I don't shop there anymore as I live in SW Washington now. I think it's a wonderful place to buy guns if you know the guys and are a regular spender of dollars but I could see how it might seem somewhat cold to a newbie.

Good place. I don't know anyone by name there but the guy running the place is honest and lets you browse without bugging the crap out of you. I think some of the problem people may be having is that a lot of shops will try to talk you into something by not letting you end the conversation. If you're not used to some friendly small town hassling, I can see it being intimidating but they always mean well :) Al's Gun Shop will answer the questions you have and give you the help you need. Most people only go into gun shops to browse and see what's new. Plus he's got ammo when nobody else can keep it on the shelf. Good place to go when you need that personal small town touch... Always my first stop when I need anything.

Hit & miss service. He did some gunsmithing for me years ago and was great. prices for the service were more than fair, and his prices on firearms and ammo were decent (a little higher than you'd pay at most metro area shops, but only by $10-15).

The last time I was in there was when the craziness was subsiding. Cheapest AR on the wall was an old, obviously used Colt that was tagged at $2000. Glocks priced close to $700. .45ACP ammo $35 a box for FMJ. Ar prices in town were already back to the $1000 or less range, Glock 9mms could be found again at typical $500 retail prices, and 230grain Federal FMJ was going for $21 per box at gun shops like The Gun Broker or Willamette Valley Arms. I won't do business with someone who felt the need to bend folks over price-wise when there is no call for it. They're either out of touch, or counting on the naive or wealthy to keep buying there without shopping around.

With a lot of other shops to choose from, I don't think I'll be doing business with them again.

The negative comments here surprised me significantly, but we all must operate on our experiences, and so I do respect such commentary when it is supported by a genuine narrative of supporting events.

Here is my contribution: Marcus is one of those persons who is not easy to get to know, but treats you precisely as you treat him. His background in business includes marketing experience, and his background toward gunsmithing includes being a precise machinist.
If you are a "know-it-all" showboater, his reaction to you will be that of indifference. If you present yourself as still learning, and asking good questions, he will take you under his wing: and all he knows is yours.

If you want complicated gun work done quickly, he will advise you these are mutually exclusive. If you have friends that advise you after the fact that his work could have been done in "15 minutes with a Dremel", then I would politely recommend your friends for any future work. If his work is not to your satisfaction, then engage the discussion as to what you see that supports that.

It is my experience that his prices on used guns (and collector guns) are "priced to move", and I have found incredible bargains there.

Yes, there is a cadre of regulars that consider his shop their "clubhouse", and I understand how that may be off-putting to a newbie. Remedy: shed your "newbieness". Go back, stand back, listen and contribute politely, and very soon you will not have to be polite anymore with your contributions to the discussion. Women who go there are treated with the utmost of respect and deference, and that is perhaps the best testimonial to this shop's reputation. Best gunshop in Washington County.

Been there a couple of times and not made a purchase, but I was treated with unfailing courtesy both times.
If I lived closer I would be happy to shop there. :)

Here is my contribution: Marcus is one of those persons who is not easy to get to know, but treats you precisely as you treat him. His background in business includes marketing experience, and his background toward gunsmithing includes being a precise machinist.
If you are a "know-it-all" showboater, his reaction to you will be that of indifference. If you present yourself as still learning, and asking good questions, he will take you under his wing: and all he knows is yours.
I wanted to fill out a 4473, hand someone $800 and them hand me the rifle on the wall. Unfortunately they couldn't put down the coffee mug and quit b.s.ing with people behind the counter long enough to accomodate that simple request.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top