JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last time I was at the store and saw a shortage of supplies, I suspected it was due to the all the recent fires. Various organizations have been requesting donations to help feed and shelter firefighters, evacuees, and those that have lost their homes. Another segment of the population is fending for themselves living in tents, RVs, or just sleeping in their vehicles. The normal supply chain doesn't carry the volume of supplies to cope with the surge, so items get wiped out at stores. I don't think it's due to any particular virus, climate, or political concern outside of that.

Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary. Use of this information, other than in the manner in which it is intended, may result in injury or death.

Taste buds are individual choices. Many people prefer fast food over a good home cooked meal... My father was a WWII vet and loved Spam, I ate plenty of it as a child. At the same time, I come from an extended family of farmers/ranchers who raised beef cattle and our freezer was never empty... My father would still eat lots of Spam, I prefer a straight cut of beef.

I don't get the comments about Spam being a poor person's food, or that one must be wealthy to avoid eating Spam.

Spam costs about $3.50 a pound locally while hamburger can be found at under $3 a pound. So, Spam is actually more expensive than hamburger and more expensive than ham pound for pound.

I was wondering if some of the ammo shortages are due to the proliferation of solar power, or other alternative power sources that demand LEAD as one of the main ingredients. In other words...big batteries take a lot of lead to produce, and demand is way up for them. Not just for solar power stations, but simply as backup power sources with inverters, or other uses.

As far as Spam goes, when the pandemic started, but about a week prior to the Big Food and Paper Product Buyout, I stocked up heavily. So now I just replace what I have already used when I use it, whether it be paper or Spam.

The only thing I regret was buying that 24 pack of Libby's Sausage Gravy. ('Contains REAL sausage!') Yeah, right. Trust me on something. You are WAY better off just making your own.

The one thing I changed in my lifestyle, as far as shooting goes, (I go camping and shooting a lot in the Olympic National Forest) was I started just picking up whatever caliber I needed in any size box or whatever I could get my hot little hands on. And then...I started cutting back on my actual shooting. On trips where I would pop off a brick of 22 for example, I would shoot off maybe fifty rounds and save the rest. I also picked up an 1851 Colt Navy in 36 caliber and stocked up on the supplies for THAT. So instead of blowing off mass quantities of store-bought ammo, I would do the black powder game all weekend. Takes a lot of your camping day to load, reload, clean, and then finally shoot those things.

Now my ammo supply is more than adequate, because some day...if you think ammo is scarce sometimes NOW...wait five years and see if it gets any better. Maybe it will, maybe not. But you should prepare just in case. As far as black powder shooting goes, it's the one way to shoot where you can actually MAKE all the items you need for shooting...as long as you study up good on HOW to actually MAKE the proper powder. I have not done that yet, although I'm starting to learn. The roundballs you can cast if you wish.
Generally speaking, the new solar batteries are Lithium Ion. Much lighter and have a much longer operating life than the lead acid batteries. There isn't a lead shortage, it's manufacturing that is unable to keep up with the demand. It seems that now the gun stores are selling firearms to liberals that have no idea as to how to shoot, etc. No I am afraid!! There will be accidental shootings on a scale we've never experienced before!

BTW......
Spam can also be used as a substitute in Viet Namese cooking for Nem Nuong when making Bun Thit Nuong. And it's still delicious.

Bun Thit Nuong?

Maybe..... you've had it before (only not with the spam substitute)?
Nem-Nuong.jpg
Then.....add a couple of BBQ shrimps, a cut up egg roll, (I like some cilantro too) and you're really in business.

"Dac Biet" = Special.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I only like Spam cooked. Fried or grilled. When I was young my Dad would eat spam and canned lunchmeat raw. I guess he got used to it in the military back then. Oh, and throw in some canned Vienna sausage for good measure.

I only like Spam cooked. Fried or grilled. When I was young my Dad would eat spam and canned lunchmeat raw. I guess he got used to it in the military back then. Oh, and throw in some canned Vienna sausage for good measure.

Must be cooked for me, too. Could it it out of the can if needed, but, ugh...

We stockpile little of it as we don't eat it regularly. Things like canned corn beef, more so, as it rotated through faster. (Made some delicious Reuben sandwiches last night with said.) DAK canned hams store easy and are pretty tasty.

Spam is higher quality than most people realize. Only six ingredients and no bizarre cuts of meat. If you eat hot dogs you have no business holding up your nose at spam.

Roman: "You know what they make Hotdogs out of, right?"

Those canned hams are awesome for making soups, break off what you need and toss it in! I love making lentils soup with a canned ham, really load it up good!

For sure! Just don't add extra salt to your lentils when prepping the soup! Learned that the hard way in school made a whole slow cooker of beans, tasted great then I chopped up a whole canned ham and added it for "ham". Almost unetable from the salt! o_O I am sure I ate it anyway.

Roman: "You know what they make Hotdogs out of, right?"

For sure! Just don't add extra salt to your lentils when prepping the soup! Learned that the hard way in school made a whole slow cooker of beans, tasted great then I chopped up a whole canned ham and added it for "ham". Almost unetable from the salt! o_O I am sure I ate it anyway.

The first time I saw that movie I laughed so hard I came close to passing out!

Now I don't feel bad for having some 70 cans of spam and so much other food. What am I going to do with 150 lbs of pancake mix though. The rice and beans, canned chicken, tuna, spam and pasta, sure. I bought WAY too much pancake mix...

I used to buy Spam in the 1970's and my in-laws made fun of it. I'm still an occasional buyer and I have some in my emergency supplies. Including some of the fancy flavors that weren't yet available in the 70's. But I haven't gone overboard. As recently as last year when we were still able to have our grandchildren over, Mrs. Merkt would serve fried Spam with French toast. There's a turkey version too that isn't bad.

My problem with Spam now is I can't eat very much of it, too fatty for my digestive system. Along with many other things including nut butters.

As to the canned corned beef from South America. People on this forum have asked, "What're your bona fides?" for making this or that statement. Okay, my qualifications are having bought and consumed this product over a 60 plus year period. The older version of canned corned beef, usually found in those weird, tapering, upright cans, was made from solid cuts of meat. The few cans I've tried over the past 20 years, those contain loose meat fibers. I think made from a slurry of meat that has been rendered down and all mixed together. In the style of solid chunk tuna vs. the little threads of fish all swishing around loose in the can.

Canned salmon is another item to be found on the shelves of my emergency supplies. Another item that people either like or hate, no middle ground. I like it and I can eat it straight out of the can with a spoon; fish, bones, skin and all. They pack the fish raw in the can, seal it, then cook it in the can. The bones are all cooked and dead soft.

Canned salmon, along with Spam, was widely suppled and used during WW2. Shipped easily, long shelf live. In those days, there still were bountiful supplies of salmon and it was cheap.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top