JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OH NO !!! :rolleyes:

Animal Squirrel Squark.jpg

One I liked to watch was "doomsday peppers". So... many flaws and BS.
Favorite episode showed the guy's amusing preparations and stressed the secrecy of his location.
Mind you that the video of his "extensive" communication abilities showed his antenna farm and the inside of his ham shack. A tell in his shack provided his name and address. A quick at google earth provided recognizable confirmation that the secrecy of his location had been compromised.:s0140:

My absolute favorite was the guy who was burying stash after stash in multiple random locations in case he has to "bug out" from away from his house. He diligently logged every single location's GPS coordinates. What was his reason for doing all this - the thing that drove him? Solar Flare. :rolleyes:

My absolute favorite was the guy who was burying stash after stash in multiple random locations in case he has to "bug out" from away from his house. He diligently logged every single location's GPS coordinates. What was his reason for doing all this - the thing that drove him? Solar Flare. :rolleyes:
Good one. It's people like that who thumb their noses at those who aren't "serious" about prepping and fail to realize that common sense and intelligence trumps idiots with lots of preps.

I watched the first season of Alone and really enjoyed it. Then I didn't have cable for years and haven't seen any since Netflix added the latest season, so I watched it. It was good.

I was rooting for the Air Force SERE guy as a friend of mine is a former SERE instructor and friends with that guy. Figures the AF guy succumbs to emotional issues.:p

If you go to the official website, there is a set of rules, and you ARE allowed to take certain things with you, although there are limits on that. You can bring THIS or bring THAT. They used to do some kind of food package as well. It's been a few years since I watched the show.

The one thing that makes the show attractive is the fact that no one out there knows what anyone else is doing, or how many people used the sat phone to say the hell with it. The only way you find out that you won is if they pick you up because you are the last person out there.

I've been in a few serious survival situations but I won't go into those right now. I will say this, though: That guy back there who said it is mostly a question of attitude is right. There are only three things to consider out there. The acquisition of food, the prevention of hypothermia, and protecting yourself from possibly hostile wildlife. And living such a life alone is above all...BORING. You have to get used to work, and being bored. If you can do the work, and survive the boredom, you can win. I think it's the boredom that eliminates a lot of contenders.

Would it have been legal for him to 'take' the moose ? IE as In having a tag and in season?

Eventually one of the guys does take a moose. My bet is that they probably have tags/licenses/etc. before they send them out there.

That said, the guy who got the moose is still losing weight (30#) because a wolverine stole his fat container and now he is eating only the protein. So he later killed the wolverine with an axe while it was stealing his meat. That I find as possibly crossing the line with regards to game laws. They are not allowed to kill foxes because they don't have the permits for that.

Now he is fishing to get fat.

One guy seemed to be doing well with a gill net.

Heh, and so he's on TV showing this? WIth visible land marks in a known region? Free stuff for anyone who knows the area. :s0168:

I guess you could give him the benefit of the doubt, maaaybe he went home and plotted them all on a paper map. Probably not.

Back in, "The Day", I couldn't find anyone that wanted to go deer hunting. So, I went into the Sierra's by
my self. :)

I spent the first 2 days hunting deer, but by the third day I was hunting someone to talk to. :rolleyes:

Back in, "The Day", I couldn't find anyone that wanted to go deer hunting. So, I went into the Sierra's by

I spent the first 2 days hunting deer, but by the third day I was hunting someone to talk to. :rolleyes:

Being an Aspie, I tend to avoid in person human contact. I have gone months without it (e.g., I spent months in Alaska by myself when working there).

I do fine without having someone to talk to - in person. I do ok even without being online. I go weeks without in person contact now. I have always been this way - I know it isn't typical, but it is what it is.

If my health was better, and I practiced the necessary skills, I would maybe do ok in such a test as I would not have a problem being alone - usually (I would worry about my daughter though).

Seems I watched a couple of the 'Doomsday preppers' episodes for the comedy of it.

If I recall there was one where some numbskull mounted some kind of gun on top of his 'bugout' vehicle and when demonstrating it the shots were shots were hopelessly inaccurate, almost flying wildly around. It seems like he went through all his ammo very quickly.

And lets not forget the guy who shot his thumb off.

Heh, and so he's on TV showing this? WIth visible land marks in a known region? Free stuff for anyone who knows the area. :s0168:

I guess you could give him the benefit of the doubt, maaaybe he went home and plotted them all on a paper map. Probably not.

I recall him only marking a few nearby trees - no sort of triangulation. I thought it amusing that he's burying all this shiz and then relying on a device that'll be knocked out in his SHTF scenario to find the stuff.

Dude was setting himself up to be the post apocalyptic plot for Holes.

Makes me wonder how the mountain men of olde handled the lifestyle with only one get together a year, aka rendezvous? Were they out there mostly alone all year with "primitive" supplys mumbling away to themselves about pelts and lack of wimmin folk. Maybe its hard to get bored when there are wolves and bears, and you only have as many shots as you have guns, at the ready, and I cant imagine knife combat with a pack of wolves or a bear. It was a different time, I suppose there arent any casualty lists for the mountain man occupation. Im glad the show folks have a cell phone to escape peril/boredom.

The only guy a liked was an episode in the PNW, a guy basically piled up some logs into a cave/shelter, and used a gill net for fish while collecting seeweed. Lived like a bear for a long time conserving all his energy. It was awesome.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top