1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by doubletap007, Jan 14, 2012.

1. doubletap007

doubletap007 Beaverton Active Member

Another fool playing with his brand new"loaded"ar15 at home and puts one through his neighbors house.

It makes it hard to convince the antigun leftwing nuts that we have responsible gun owners out there when people keep doing stupid things like this.

Do you keep your ar's loaded at home?I dont,i keep my concealed carry piece loaded but never the ar's or shotguns.

why do people play with a loaded gun?if im going to mess with my handgun i unload it first so i dont shoot my neighbors.

by keeping only my handgun cocked and locked i know i am always empty with my other guns though i will always check them anyhow,how hard is this?
    oh and....thats what she said!
  2. HandSolo

HandSolo hillsboro New Member

so your not smart enough to have loaded long guns in your house or you don't trust yourself to have loaded long guns in the house?
  3. GFO

GFO WaCo, Oregon Active Member

Nothing in the safe is loaded. EVERYTHING outside the safe is considered loaded, whether it is or not, it is handled as if it is. Just my rule.
    Riot, doubletap007, ATCclears and 3 others like this.
  4. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

I keep the rifle in an accessible location to me & the wife, with a full magazine in it, but the chamber empty. My pistol and her pistol are hot all the time. The other guns in the house are kept in similar condition - magazines loaded, chambers empty.

Then again, we live in a rural area, and don't have neighbors 6 inches away like most apartment dwellers do. And we have the occasional need for loaded long arms that are caused by 4 legged varmints. It's also nice to keep the long arm ready to rock & roll should problems arise with two legged varmints.

I don't make it a habit to finger **** my guns when they're loaded though. That's a bad habit to get into, and inevitably will land you in a situation like the OP describes. If you wanna play quickdraw - Bi Mart sells plastic Peacemakers with their plastic holsters and little plastic badges to go with it. If you want to pretend you're slaying savages and zombies - throw in any of the Call of Duty games into the playstation.
  5. doubletap007

too smart to keep loaded long guns in the house...why would i need them loaded?
    i have my handgun loaded,thats enough isnt it?
    i dont shoot my longguns till i get to where i can,do you transport loaded rifles?not that theres a problem with that but i clean mine as soon as i get home and see no need to load them up after cleaning them since i wont be concealed carrying my ar.
  6. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Not a good way to start your new year. My AR is unloaded in the safe but it has a full mag in it.... the AK is however loaded with a 40 round mag and one in the chamber. My Glock is always condition 1 and if I need to get something with more power I go for that Draco AK. I am sure they have snap caps in .223 so why don't people use dummy rounds I will never know. This guy is lucky he was not hurt and he didn't hurt his neighbor. I wonder if the neighbor can legally go after this guy.... I would.
  7. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

I'd never load anything that has the capacity to get out to the house and possible due harm to a neighbor. No way. Even when cleaning I triple check and then watch where the barrel is pointed.

If someone is careless enough with a rifle to shoot through their home into a neighbor's house than they just don't have the IQ points or responsibility that should come with gun ownership. How people get away with this is crazy. I know if I did something like that just once I would be crucified for it.
  8. sadiesassy

sadiesassy Prescott Active Member

My father had hunted aince he was a kid. He was into Silouette Shooting.
    Very safety conscious.
    He had worked on the guns and made up some new rounds ( For some reason I am thinking he resized some shells.
    It was about 28 degrees in the small shed we had with no heat.
    So he came inside to cycle the ammo through his rilfe - just to make sure it cycled fine before the match.
    About 15 shells through - Bam!!!
    Not sure how he did it, he did not think he hit the trigger.
    It landed in my mattress.
    Luckily our house was built with concrete blocks
    But many of these types of issues I have heard of have been people whom usually are fairly strong on gun saftey.
    Like my gun instructor who decided it was cold out side and decided to unload his rifle inside the trailer - that now has a nice hole in it.

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I am as pro 2A as everyone on this forum but after reading the article on this I am convinced there may be a need for some kind mandated basic display of firearms handling safety prior to taking delivery. The article was short but it was easy to establish a 'profile' of this person. His reference to how the incident scared him and prompted him to return the rifle said it all.
    Old Hick and (deleted member) like this.
  10. packman

packman coast Active Member

they are loaded. regardless of there being ammo in them or not;)
  11. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

I don't care what you think, I have never seen an 'unloaded" gun that wasn't stripped of it's firing mechanism.

All my firearms are loaded, if they have ammo in them or not.
  12. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Regardless of weather they are loaded or not, guns should always be pointed in a safe direction. At your wall IS NOT a safe direction! Dumbasses!
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  13. doubletap007

my 12yr old daughter seen this on the news last night so she texted me"you didn't sell my ar15 did you?cause i seen some guy shot one in his house on the news in aloha"(i live in aloha and kids live with mom in beaverton)

so i texted her back "of course i wouldn't sell your ar15,so tell me what this guy did wrong taylor?"

she texted back"he didn't have the safety on and he didn't keep his booger hook off the bang switch!"

I laughed so hard but i like to quiz the kids when someone else has an accident about why it happened so a bad incident dont go to waste.they learn better when you have them tell you what this guy did wrong.
    of course i added that he also had the gun loaded and didn't check the chamber before he pulled the trigger.

when i was teaching her to shoot her gun safely i kept saying keep your booger hook off the bang switch,and each time she would chuckle but i knew the funny way of saying it would sink in better than calling it the trigger.i'm glad it worked.
  14. Starship

Starship NE Portland Active Member

Local news said that when interviewed the guy said that the gun scared him and he returned it.... Obviously a well trained and informed gun owner.
  15. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

16. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

the problem isn't that the guns are loaded. it's the idiots that keep messing around with loaded guns that are the problem. If your gun is loaded, don't mess around with it at home. it's that Fing simple.
    Kevatc and (deleted member) like this.
  17. doubletap007

agreed...but he was scared so he sold it....this means he was new to guns and therefor shouldn't have loaded it untill he was more experienced with it.
    if it's your only gun in the home i would load it too,the reason i dont load long guns is because i have a handgun for home protection.
    i also play with my guns a lot at home so i dont load them here but thats not to say all people are stupid to keep them loaded at home,as others have stated they live in remote areas where they need quick access to loaded firearms,but an aloha apartment is not that place.
  18. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

My Glock-30 (daily CCW) is always chambered and at a minimum within my reach at all times. All my other weapons are in the gun safe when not in my DIRECT control or authority, BUT within that safe I keep a combat Mossberg-500 with a loaded mag-tube, one AK with a loaded mag, and one AR with a loaded mag... none of them chambered. ALL of my unloaded weapons have chamber flags in them, and EVERY weapon is ALWAYS cleared whether "chamber flagged" or in "condition two" when picked up to fiddle-fart around with.

I've never had an accidental discharge and I've handled firearms regularly since my teen years... I'm 44 now. :thumbup:
  19. bulzeye

bulzeye scappoose Member

i'll take an AR or shotgun over a handgun in a home defense situation any day of the week. mine are loaded at all times. Handguns are for the range or concealing in public.
    chemist and (deleted member) like this.
  20. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

The Guy was stupid, the end product of too many 1st per. shooter vid games. The individual probably voted Deamoncrat as well.
    The most interesting bit of the article that went unmentioned is what type ammo was he fireing to get that penetration?
    PS: all guns are loaded all the time, or they will be soon.