JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Original story here: Aloha man arrested for detonating dry-ice bombs | Beaverton News

ALOHA, Ore. (AP) - Washington County, Oregon, sheriff's deputies have arrested an Aloha man for investigation of detonating dry-ice bombs.

A resident called 911 Saturday afternoon to report a woman screaming and loud noises. Deputies who arrived heard a loud explosion near a home, and closed off the street for about four hours while they investigated. The sheriff's office says the explosions were traced to a house where they found a man had used dry ice and soda bottles to make and detonate bombs.

The sheriff's office says 59-year-old Douglas Kaynor was arrested for investigation of five counts of unlawfully possessing a destructive device, five counts of unlawful manufacture of a destructive device and four counts of disorderly conduct.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

I can't believe youse guys, experts on shootin' stuff, should be woefully unaware of dry ice bombs.

Not that I would ever make such a thing or tell anyone how to, but for safety's sake, NEVER put about an inch of powdered dry ice into a 2 liter pop bottle that contains an inch or two of water, and then screw on the cap. If you did such a foolish and reckless thing, you'd only have about 30-60 sec. to chuck it as far as humanly possible before it popped. With a heckuva racket - but not a "detonation."

I can't believe youse guys, experts on shootin' stuff, should be woefully unaware of dry ice bombs.

Not that I would ever make such a thing or tell anyone how to, but for safety's sake, NEVER put about an inch of powdered dry ice into a 2 liter pop bottle that contains an inch or two of water, and then screw on the cap. If you did such a foolish and reckless thing, you'd only have about 30-60 sec. to chuck it as far as humanly possible before it popped. With a heckuva racket - but not a "detonation."

LOL... For someone who " Not that I would ever make such a thing or tell anyone how to ", you sure know a lot about them.. But nice story!

hehehehe

Last Edited:
Man, those things are fun, loud, and not all that destructive :( charges for that are pretty lame, basically like popping a balloon (just....a balloon made out of semi-thick plastic)

This guy will walk.
The definition of a "destructive device" is found in 26 U.S.C. § 5845(f). The definition reads as follows:

(1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas, (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellant charge of more than 4 ounces, (D) missile having an explosive charge of more than 1/4 ounce, (E) mine or (F) similar device.

(2) Any weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and

(3) Any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.

The term destructive device shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned or given by the Secretary of the Army, pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of Title 10 of the United States Code; or any other device the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.[1]

I agree with the definition of destructive device, he will walk if he has a half-way competent lawyer. I could even take a crack at it, and at the very least get it knocked down to 1 count of each just like this,
Exhibit A:
YouTube - Dry Ice
With how quickly the chemical reaction takes place after the device is made, how is it possible for him to be charged with possession of 5 of them, since having the ingredients separately (dry ice, water, 2 liter) and not combined in the 2 liter are legal and were found like that, there would be no charge.
If there was 5 of them made, they would have already reacted in those few seconds and no longer existed, if they did go off when the officer was there, I'm sure the officer would have also added 5 charges of assault/attempted murder on a public safety officer as well.

Dry Ice bombs are good FUN! That is it.....FUN! I have been playing with these things for many years. I had one blow up in my hand as a matter of fact, left me with some scars and a good story to tell and that is about it. They are loud!!
Caution to those who may try this: Use the chunks of dry ice, not the powder, gives you a litter more time to step a safe distance away. Chunks will give you about 1-2 minutes. Powder as my hand can show can blow about as soon as you get it capped!
Have fun and be safe:)

The guy won't walk at least not without a good defense attorney. Wash Co DAs like to tack on as many charges as they can hoping the guy will plea.

This situation is somewhat ridiculous, unless we are not getting the whole story. If he was using the bombs to destroy other people's property or threatening a person's safety, OK, but if he was doing it for fun the criminal charges are lame, slap him with a violation if you must. I know some many people that done this growing up, even played with worse.

We did those in middle school science.. But I was home schooled so stuff like that happened:s0155: They are pretty sweet!

we did this in middleschool SHOP class... only we went across the street to the high-school, which had a bigger field.

the guy will walk so long as he doesn't panic and plea. i don't care how much of an A-hole the guy was, BS is BS.

My lil brother got hit with one of those when he was younger. A neighbor hood jackass found some dry ice behind a store and decided to put it in a bottle. Told his lil brothers to shake it, thought it would be funny. They started to shake it then saw my brother walking by, they called his name and tossed it to him. He looked up and saw the 2 liter and when he put his hands up it exploded on him and hes still got a scarred hand from it. It messed his hand up pretty bad at the time. After we got back from the hospital I cornered the older brother and had a lil discussion with him.

we did this in middleschool SHOP class... only we went across the street to the high-school, which had a bigger field.

Simpler times, eh?

In elementary school all the boys carried cub scout pocket knives.

In high school physics class the teacher bought out a .22 rifle and fired it into a hanging block so we could measure the slug's energy by the height of the swing.

Today, however, the Seattle Times has picked up the story:
<broken link removed>
They incorrectly use the word "detonate" too.

Imagine what we'd be reading if Mr. Kaynor had been Iranian or Egyptian or Saudi by birth!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top