JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In a few weeks, that huge steaming pile of lies from Salem (should include Portland and Eugene in there too), will go into full effect. I haven't seen a lot of chatter about it recently, just some folks here and there.

In the last few months, I've made a few adjustments to my collection, trading some items off, buying one or two new, selling a few. Each time I meet someone, I ask their thoughts about 941. Each time, I get a very similar response - it's a load of BS.

Not long ago, I had a private sale with a recently retired LEO out of the Multnomah County area. I asked his thoughts on 941 and the future of private sales. He laughed a bit, agreed 941 was a steaming pile of crap meant to implement a registration (which we all know they bold-faced lied about) and that his belief was that it was basically unenforceable. He said they barely had the time and resources to go after true criminals as it was. He said they had leads and tips on real crimes they could never follow up on because they simply didn't have the time and money to do it. And, when they did, many times the local DA wouldn't prosecute because it wasn't likely to result in an actual prosecution, so it wasn't worth their time. And then, the real bombshell, this once LEO indicated, in a somewhat subtle way, that he would likely 'not comply' with 941 himself.

It was a bit of a shock to hear that from a former law enforcement officer, but it was also interesting to get a true LE point of view on the matter. I chuckled at his response, shook his hand, and went on my way.

But I had to think that since 941 is such a hotbed issue, I wouldn't put it past certain agencies, such as those contained in Multnomah county, to set aside a few folks for the express purpose of setting up and catching folks attempting private sales without a BGC. All they would need is a few to display on the alter of public insanity for the whole world to see.

Since the day of that sale, I've met a number of folks that have stated basically the same thing. The whole idea of "will not comply" seems to be taking root. And, while I have not decided myself to "not comply", as I will likely just skip private sales in the future, I am actually encouraged by this grass-roots, screw Salem mentality from the people. We have been wronged. We have been vilified by legislators that think they are above us. We have been convicted of crimes we haven't committed in the false names of safety and security. Oh what a place we find ourselves in today. And what would the founding fathers of this country think if they could cast their eyes on the state of affairs we now find ourselves in.

I think many folks will start thinking about real, honest to goodness civil disobedience as a result of 941. And while I have no intention of violating the law, and thus running the risk of becoming a test case, I must confess, there is a part of me that is certainly tempted to do so.

Being that this is a public forum, I wanted to get the thoughts of anyone that would care to share them here. Maybe some would be willing to say "hell no, I won't comply!" publicly, while others may say they will comply, but perhaps have a little smile on their face when they say it ;) Either way, I'm just curious how you view your future as a potential criminal for simply continuing to do something you've had the freedom to do for many years, only to have some weak-kneed overlords in suits tell you your a threat and need to be contained.

How does the future look for you?

I am personally done with private sales, the cops WILL use this and any excuse to lock you up
if you believe the cops that say they dont have the time are just full of the same crap the anti's are.
I recently had the sheriffs come out to the property for a boat inspection to get a new title.....had to wait for the prick to run my name first looking for wants & warrants....WTF I call the cops to do the right thing and their main concern was could they lock me up first. I have in 62 years only a single speeding ticket, Im no criminal but they do want me in prison!

If you think the cops wont try to bust you for 941...... your just naive

Free men need no approval

I certainly appreciate the sentiment, but we do live in a country with laws and a government that can come at you with considerably more resources than you have available, if they choose. We are free, but even our freedom has limits, at least when the government decides to restrict them. Every choice, every action, has a potential consequence. Like it or not, I don't think we're quite as free as we'd really like to be.

I certainly appreciate the sentiment, but we do live in a country with laws and a government that can come at you with considerably more resources than you have available, if they choose. We are free, but even our freedom has limits, at least when the government decides to restrict them. Every choice, every action, has a potential consequence. Like it or not, I don't think we're quite as free as we'd really like to be.

Why yes sir.

Whoever questions this MUST be on the dry side of the state and REQUEST trial by jury. One must stack the odds as much in your favor IF you are caught and IF anyone gives a damn.

While I typically am a follow the rules, be the gray man in life and let trouble pass you by... what is unknown is unknown. If I fart at night and the wife inhales it I won't tell her in the morning- no sense being silly. Same analogy.

Why yes sir.

Whoever questions this MUST be on the dry side of the state and REQUEST trial by jury. One must stack the odds as much in your favor IF you are caught and IF anyone gives a damn.

While I typically am a follow the rules, be the gray man in life and let trouble pass you by... what is unknown is unknown. If I fart at night and the wife inhales it I won't tell her in the morning- no sense being silly. Same analogy.

Yes, the location you choose is certainly important in this state. The last thing you want is a gang of 'compassionate' Portlanders getting their hands on you ;)

I find it interesting that many folks in power today are a product of the free speech, free love and down with government movement of the 60's. They decried those in power for wielding the power given to them because of their position. Now they, and those that have learned from them have become the ones in power, and we find in our government exactly what they claimed was so awful: that they assert their personal views, their personal vendettas against those with whom they disagree by forcing legislation, in the name of compassion and safety, on a population that didn't/doesn't need it. They complained about people's rights being violated, and yet that is exactly what they themselves now do.

We don't need to be told what size drink we can buy. We don't need to be told if smoking is good or bad for us. And we certainly don't need them to tell us if our right to bear arms needs to be further restricted.

I suspect people will be working in the background to ignore 941. Some may even openly flaunt it.

I wonder, what would happen if every single gun owner in the state, on the same day, gathered in public places all over the state and on that day, conducted private gun sales? I know smaller groups have already done this in Washington. But what if all of the gun owners did it? What could Salem, or anyone else do?

Here's an idea - what if we arranged a "mass private sale day", maybe every few months, where every private sale was conducted, all across the state, all at once. Wouldn't that just make their heads explode? ;) Well, we would probably leave anything in Multnomah County or Eugene out of it, just to be safe, but the rest is probably fairly safe.

Or they will buy at the gun club. ARPC will do the background check for $17 if you are a member. I sell a gun and I use my club service plus you get to try it before you buy.

Or they will buy at the gun club. ARPC will do the background check for $17 if you are a member. I sell a gun and I use my club service plus you get to try it before you buy.

Yeah I just read that in the newsletter. As long as one person is a member, good to go! Even if it doesn't work as a sale you may end up with a shooting buddy.

Important to note that Section 3 of this bill still provides you with a means of selling privately WITHOUT an FFL transfer WHILE AT A GUN SHOW. ORS 166.436 remains in effect!

That's right, if you're out in the world you have to find an FFL to do the transfer, but if you're in a room with HUNDREDS of FFLs, they can take a walk! Private party sales with a background phone call (made by the seller) remain LEGAL under the new law, with NO REQUIREMENT of a transfer through an FFL.

Know the laws, and you'll see how silly it was for them to even write this thing. I'm not going to be surprised at how many people are suddenly "related" to each other when it comes to selling guns!

The Multnomah County Sheriff would love to arrest a few people and gain political points here in Portland for going after the "bad guys" who are illegally transferring guns.

I don't like 941, but I think I will be done with private transfers for a while.

The real problem comes when they integrate the Oregon sales records into a national database. The feds have the money, manpower, and the motivation to actually cause trouble for us 10+ years down the road, confiscation-wise.

I predict that gun sales are going to go through the roof because no one will want to go through private sales anymore. People are just going to be buying new.
I agree, also people will tend to hang on to, or put away older guns they have lost interest in as opposed to going through the hassle and expense of selling them like they would have before SB 941.

Especially if it's a cheaper model like a Hi-Point 9mm handgun or an old no-name pot metal .22 worth $150 or less anyway! So that means less used guns available to buy.

Doesn't that mean manufacturers will have to produce even more guns to meet the demand from less used guns on the market that are collecting dust in some guy's safe?

Doesn't that mean even more guns out there in America than ever before?

I thought the Progressives want Americans to have less firearms! They never think these things through to the logical conclusion before they pass these stupid laws do they?

Talked to a local dealer and if you want to sell a gun to someone useing this dealer it will cost you $45. Ten for the state and $35 for him.

I agree, also people will tend to hang on to, or put away older guns they have lost interest in as opposed to going through the hassle and expense of selling them like they would have before SB 941.

Especially if it's a cheaper model like a Hi-Point 9mm handgun or an old no-name pot metal .22 worth $150 or less anyway! So that means less used guns available to buy.

Doesn't that mean manufacturers will have to produce even more guns to meet the demand from less used guns on the market that are collecting dust in some guy's safe?

Doesn't that mean even more guns out there in America than ever before?

I thought the Progressives want Americans to have less firearms! They never think these things through to the logical conclusion before they pass these stupid laws do they?

I've wondered that myself. Though I've noticed an increase in the number of ads in Washington since 594 passed - it would appear that people did back off for a while, but it appears the gun bug can only be dormant for so long. I haven't paid close attention to the values, but figuring the seller and the buyer are both impacted by the cost of that transfer and BGC, I'm sure there has been an adjustment in values to accommodate the change.

But I, like many others, I'm sure, will likely focus on buying new. Unless the value of a used gun was really great, I'd probably pass due to the added cost and hassle for the transfer. So, in the end, as you point out, I'll be helping to contribute to the proliferation of new firearms, all thanks to the numnutz in Salem!

Talked to a local dealer and if you want to sell a gun to someone useing this dealer it will cost you $45. Ten for the state and $35 for him.

I have a local home-based FFL here in OC that said he will do one for $25. Shop around and there may be some good deals. I know members at Canby Rod and Gun are supposed to be able to do it there too, but I haven't heard what cost, if any, is involved.

I just wish my range, DRRC, had a club FFL.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top