JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Buy motion detector lights and try to mount them so as to light up whoever may be at the door. :D
My porch light just back lit people at the door and I couldn't tell who they were.:(
Also, buy a "Ring" doorbell. It's motion detector turns on the video 20' from my door and rings my
cell phone, then the recording goes onto the i-cloud for storage, until I delete it.:)

Almost the exact thing happened to me about a month ago now.
2:30am my dog goes ape skat! Like danger close ape skat. She's big and has an intimidating bark so it woke me like God slapped me in the face and I shoot out of bed instantly knowing something bad is happening.
I grab my pustol in the closet, then go back and grab my glasses.
My wife was sleeping in our daughters room because she wasn't sleeping well.

I go slowly downstairs, tell my wife to call 911, throught the window at the top of my door I can see two figures.

Someone is jiggling the handle and knocking on thw door, then starts rigging the doorbell.

I go up to the door, I have a long thin window next to the door, as I look out I see a girl right at my door and a guy behind her a few feet.

I tell her to GTHO,
She is visibly drunk or high (looked drunk) and is saying to let her in, that I know her mom, and open the door,

I tell her to get away from my door, she's in the wrong place, I don't know her or her mom, etc.

Repeatedly tell her to get away from my door. She keeps jiggling the handle so I put my pistol up to the window, about 3in from her face and tell her again to get the heck (not heck) away from my house.

The guy is gone as soon as he sees my pistol, he's yelling at her to just get out of there.
She keeps at it, ringing the doorbell several times as I walk away. My wife hands me the phone and I describe as best I can what they looked like and the car they got into, direction they went.

After they drive off it takes about 5 mins for a LEO to fly by in their direction.
I live straight down maybe 1/4 miles from the police station.

Not sure what happened or if they ever caught up to them.

But my adrenaline was jacked for about an hour. Couldn't sleep for at least an hour.

I was just wondering a week before how I would react.
Overall I think I handled it well, but I think I missed out on getting better descriptions of the guy and girl, and their vehicle.

But what an eye opener. That was the first time pointing a firearm at someone, and that was a pretty crappy feeling.

I'm glad it wasn't worse.

I think they were just drunk and lost. Maybe the guy was taking her home and she was lost.

Who knows. I was pleased with my dog.
She did her job.
I still have no idea how my two kids didn't wake up. Between the dog going nuts and the doorbell.

since were talking about security cameras, can someone talk me out of doing a hardwired camera system vs a wireless? am i crazy to think some burglers would try to interrupt the wireless signal? idk much about that stuff.
I researched this and installed wired cameras. The wireless cameras need power. Some have you run
a low voltage power cable. If you have to run a power cable to the camera why not run a video
cable with it? My system came with a combination power/video in one cable. Researching the wireless cameras a lot of user reviews experience problems with them cutting out or distortion. Depends
on where you want to put your cameras if it is even possible to route a cable to the cameras.

I really want cameras, but everytime I think I've found a decent set the reviews turn me off.

Arlo isn't perfect but its quick, easy and works really good. if you are interested let me know you can come over to my house and check them out. We don't live that far away from each other. Well worth the price in my opinion. Make sure you get the pro series.

Looking at the view in the driveways back on the last page.....What are the cameras going to tell you of someone wearing a hoodie pulled over their heads? And dressed all in black? That seems to be all we see anymore in various news stories showing peoples security footage. And camouflaging the the camera? I'd think you'd be better off with the camera visible, but out of easy reach.

Arlo isn't perfect but its quick, easy and works really good. if you are interested let me know you can come over to my house and check them out. We don't live that far away from each other. Well worth the price in my opinion. Make sure you get the pro series.

He can now have 1080 as an option with the NEW Arlo PRO 2 CAMERAS.

I maybe adding 1 as they will work On the same base station..... Google for reviews.

Looking at the view in the driveways back on the last page.....What are the cameras going to tell you of someone wearing a hoodie pulled over their heads? And dressed all in black? That seems to be all we see anymore in various news stories showing peoples security footage. And camouflaging the the camera? I'd think you'd be better off with the camera visible, but out of easy reach.

I have a camera right above my front door. In all reality you could probably rip it down if you wanted but by then I got you and a great shot of your face.

He can now have 1080 as an option with the NEW Arlo PRO 2 CAMERAS.

I maybe adding 1 as they will work On the same base station..... Google for reviews.

I have four cameras. I have thought about adding the fifth one and maybe even a second base station for more. I was actually surprised how far they reach. I will say the further you put them the more often you have to charge the batteries but it is worth it.

If I had four more cameras I wouldn't have a blind spot on my property.

I have a camera right above my front door. In all reality you could probably rip it down if you wanted but by then I got you and a great shot of your face.

This is true. Right at the front door and IN THE FACE would be acceptable IMO. I've wanted to put cameras up under the eves of my garage to pick up my driveway and the street, but it doesn't make sense when all you get is a figure dressed dark and the face obscured.

I get your concerns....
Ok
Hoodie guy shows up.at 3am I get a Double alert. This tells me something has trigger 2 CAMERAS and on my property.

now I get up and let the Shepard outside. If i hear his DEATH BARK I and taser, flashlight, and gun go and watch him enjoying a midnight snack.

If I be at work I go live on all cameras and if need active the siren.... and call PD and call my retired neighbor.

Also like being able to relocate cameras in a snap.

I get your concerns....
Ok
Hoodie guy shows up.at 3am I get a Double alert. This tells me something has trigger 2 CAMERAS and on my property.

now I get up and let the Shepard outside. If i hear his DEATH BARK I and taser, flashlight, and gun go and watch him enjoying a midnight snack.

If I be at work I go live on all cameras and if need active the siren.... and call PD and call my retired neighbor.

Yes, good.

I'm looking at the fact something goes down and you find it in the morning. Cameras won't help identify the guy. Also, we have raccoons and cats and stray dogs, possums that can trigger and alert. Not to mention we are not the sharpest knives in the drawer when it comes to smart phones. I have security lights that are pretty much out of reach that come on. So far so good.

IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0378.JPG

Those are the three views facing the front of my house. 95% of the time I catch a shot of the face usually more than once. One on the front door and two on the driveway facing the street.

SKruger, what is the resolution of your cameras? Because those look pretty crisp and clear. The biggest issue with cameras is they are often low resolution and thats why all we see in the news is grainy or blurry images of guys in hoodies that we cant identify. Ive heard you need to buy a minimum of 1080p resolution to even consider...

SKruger, what is the resolution of your cameras? Because those look pretty crisp and clear. The biggest issue with cameras is they are often low resolution and thats why all we see in the news is grainy or blurry images of guys in hoodies that we cant identify. Ive heard you need to buy a minimum of 1080p resolution to even consider...

I would have to double check but I am pretty sure that the Arlo Pro is 1080. When I get a chance I will take a look and let you know.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top