JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think you did everything right. As stated above, no need to confront the BG when he is outside your home. Let LEO do what LEO does.
I am building a house and having several layers of security built in, a good front door video bell or video camera with audio is the way to go. Also LIGHTS LIGHTS LIGHTS. BG's hate lights, finally make sure you secure those doors in a way that make kick ins nearly impossible.

A outcome where no shots were fired and everyone involved is still safe and sound is always desirable.

As to critiquing what someone does to defend themselves...it can be difficult and unfair at best without knowing the people and places involved...so all I can really say is that I am glad that you and your family are safe.
Andy

You're safe. Your family is safe. The intruder is gone without a shot fired. Sounds like everything went about as well as it could. Glad to hear the police were able to get there reasonably soon and deal with the problem for you. Good on you for holding it together in a very stressful and frightening situation.

A outcome where no shots were fired and everyone involved is still safe and sound is always desirable.

As to critiquing what someone does to defend themselves...it can be difficult and unfair at best without knowing the people and places involved...so all I can really say is that I am glad that you and your family are safe.
Andy

Any day you don't have to shoot and/or kill someone is a good day.

Shortly after Wife and I got together this happened to her. I was at work, she wakes up to some clown POUNDING on front door, screaming something un intelligible. She grabs gun and calls 911. They got here pretty fast after being told she was armed but he had run off. Sounded to me like some drunk at the wrong house. Wife had until then complained a few times about the money I was spending on guns. I don't think I ever heard her complain much about them after that :)

Shortly after Wife and I got together this happened to her. I was at work, she wakes up to some clown POUNDING on front door, screaming something un intelligible. She grabs gun and calls 911. They got here pretty fast after being told she was armed but he had run off. Sounded to me like some drunk at the wrong house. Wife had until then complained a few times about the money I was spending on guns. I don't think I ever heard her complain much about them after that :)

Now if you can get her to only buy sensible shoes..... ;)

Damn what a beautiful animal!!!

Gus
Will always be the one of many Shepard that I have had that as set the bar.

They are all Special, but he was the BEST.

The OP did everything Right... my Gal and I are former LE and never open the door with out gun in hand or within reach while at the door.

Gus was a 140lb silver tip GSD.

My mom that lives in Sacramento has had this happen several times over the year when she was living alone. 2:00AM-3:00AM some woman knocks on the door or rings the door bell. No way was she was opening the door. She said she called the Sheriff department and an officer was dispatched. Once she said LEO the woman skedaddled each time. My mom and others paid for a local Sheriff deputy to patrol around their neighborhoods so the response time was a just a few minutes.

Just talking about it yesterday. The guy was definitely on something. My wife saw him through the peephole once. And he knock for probably 3 or so seconds at a time (before I got there. After I got up, it was like 2 or 3 knocks) and he was swaying and couldn't stand still.

The best thing about the whole situation (in me eyes) is my wife wasnt really interested in having a handgun. When I would bring it up, she just sorta scoffed at the idea like it was me wanted another gun (not untrue:D).

Now we're going to go look at some to see what she wants. I didn't even ask about it. She told me she didn't like the fact that there wasn't a gun she could use nearby in case something happened to me.
That isbpartually my fault, we haven't went shooting much in a while. I have my ar15 near the bed, but she's not very familiar with it

Just talking about it yesterday. The guy was definitely on something. My wife saw him through the peephole once. And he knock for probably 3 or so seconds at a time (before I got there. After I got up, it was like 2 or 3 knocks) and he was swaying and couldn't stand still.

The best thing about the whole situation (in me eyes) is my wife wasnt really interested in having a handgun. When I would bring it up, she just sorta scoffed at the idea like it was me wanted another gun (not untrue:D).

Now we're going to go look at some to see what she wants. I didn't even ask about it. She told me she didn't like the fact that there wasn't a gun she could use nearby in case something happened to me.
That isbpartually my fault, we haven't went shooting much in a while. I have my ar15 near the bed, but she's not very familiar with it

I'm glad your situation wasn't worse. Too many people think they'll never need the means to defend themselves until it's too late. Sounds like you have a smart wife since she's woken up to the need for a defensive weapon.

@hatchj - get what she is comfortable with.

But not for nothing, a carbine is the weapon of choice for those who don't train often. The AR platform is light and ergo - makes it a good choice.
Doesn't like the space age look? M1 Carbine (clone) or SKS or ...
Possibly a PCC - match the caliber of your handgun. The new Ruger looks interesting (takes Glock mags too)

Some threads down in rifles, like this one
Carbine vs carbine

As far as the rifle goes, she just hasn't had much opportunity to use it I didn't shoot much this last year and I've only had it for 2.

As far as a pistol goes, I've got my fingers crossed that she'll want a cz p10c or p07. That way I can just get one type of magazine. If not it's not that big of a deal. Just gives me more gun stuff to buy.

Here's our early warning system's.
The mutt's.JPG

Sounds like you handled it just right.

We've had a few strangers come to our door out here on the farm. The ones who show up at night have usually slid off the gravel road and are asking me to pull them out of the ditch with my tractor. So far, no troublemakers.

Your story has me thinking about replacing the old front door with something a bit sturdier.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top