Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Almost bought a .45, but ended up with a P7M8

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by cameronhu, Jul 21, 2009.

1. cameronhu

cameronhu Ridgefield, Wa Member

After all the great advice I got regarding .45s, I somehow managed to spend my allotted $1K (plus an extra $75) on a like-new HK P7M8 w/ 5 mags. I don't know what the **** I was thinking... It just seemed like the right thing to do :)

Good deal? or Big mistake?

2. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

You bought, and now own, a terrific firearm. Don't look back.

3. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Total mistake dude... Sell it as soon as possible... to me.:D:D

Everything I have ever heard about those is that they are really accurate and a hoot to shoot. I came inches from buying one years ago. I was approaching the table with cash in hand when someone stepped in and bought it.

I will admit that if I had to think of a gun that was as opposite as possible to a full sized 1911 45, it may be a P7.

So to answer your question, it is a great deal if you like it, but a mistake if you want a 45. I would consider it a victory and go shooting!:thumbup:

4. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

An M8 for just over 1K is a good buy. ;) Most are 1200-1500 NIB.

5. gallogiro

gallogiro Willamette Valley Active Member

pictures?

6. cameronhu

Only this one- Will post better pics when I pick it up.

7. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Wow... I got to be honest I wouldn't have spent $1k on that but it's your money and if your happy who cares what I think right! :thumby:

Happy shooting dude.

8. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

IF you can find magazines for sale, they are around $75.00, so you essentially go a M8 for $700.00! That's a screaming good deal! There are several devotee website messageboards about the P7; give it a google and find lots of pals.......................elsullo

9. cameronhu

Thanks! Will check out the devotees. Hopefully the gun will live up to the claims :)

10. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Yeah the P7M8s are great guns, and are only going up in value. With the amount of mags you got, you got a great deal.

11. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I wouldn't have done it any different.

12. NoOne

NoOne Puget Sound Active Member

I had a P7M13 for years, and found that the recoil was very mild because the slide was so low to my hand. Really wonderful to shoot for the first hundred rounds or so...but then they do tend to heat up, because the gas system is just above your finger...it do get hot..

But I don't think that is a big problem because the pistol wasn't designed to be a sustained fire weapon. It was designed to be a defensive weapon where you would usually only fire a few rounds, so the heat issue wouldn't be a problem. Few people would take theirs out and fire 300 rounds through it 2-3 times a week.

The only time mine malfunctioned was after rolling around in the desert's fine dusty sand.. It only took a couple of puffs to blow the sand out and it worked fine again..

13. doubleactiononly

doubleactiononly Seattle Member

if I were you I'd be real happy. P7M8's are no longer manufactured and are getting harder and harder to find. Buying one for $1K is an excellent buy IMO

1911's on the other hand, are bountiful in selection. No matter what size/shape/options you want, someone makes one.

14. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

I have # 226 of the last 500 imported. You did not make a mistake.

If you ever want to sell one or two mags please PM me.

Thanks,

SF-

15. cameronhu

Here's the promised photo- This is really a great feeling gun- can't _wait_ to shoot this weekend :)

16. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Correct!

17. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

Everyone should own at least one P7. :D

18. doubleactiononly

doubleactiononly Seattle Member

Ohhhh man, you even got the wood grips? Well, if for any reason you're unhappy with your purchase, let me know!

19. koden

koden Milwaukie, OR Member

very nice gun. Check the P7 sites to confirm but from what I remember don't shoot any lead. It fouls up the gas system.

20. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

You have probably already heard this: also note that Winchester Silvertips were advised against, as shavings from the aluminum bullet jackets could foul the gasport. Those walnut grips only make me covet thy P7 even MORE.................elsullo