JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not finding any data on rifle cartridges, just pistol, and then just straight-wall cases. No .357Sig for instance.
Thanks for the tip though.
I'll give them a call.

ALLIANT POWER PRO VARMINT: 4/15/13 I got an email notification from Natchezss.com that they had Alliant PowerPro Varmint in stock. I quickly went to my Hornady 9th Edition (2012) loading guide and found it referenced extensively for .223 /5.56 from 50 grain to 80 grain bullets and for every weight in between. Yet the powder is not referenced for any other barrel but .223/5.56 so I would conclude that 1.) It is specifically engineered for 223 or 2.) Hornady has not tested it on other size barrels yet. So then to the Alliant(r) site which lists recipes for Medium Varmint loads 24" barrel ie. .223/5.56 (40gr - 55gn.) 22-250 (45-55gn), .222 (40-50gn), 204 Ruger (32-39gn), 220 Swift (40-55gn), 223 Win (58-85gn), 30-30 Winchester (150-180gn). So clearly it can drive a heavy projectile and Hornady 9th, in the NATO 5.56 realm, lists for 55 grain to 80 grain loads for a 1:7 twist 20" Bushmaster cautioning that the heavier 75-80 grain bullets will not stabilize in slower twists than 1:8". Desperate for any powder, I picked up 5lbs, 20 minutes later, sold out. I just got in under the wire; so go to seller sites, select "email me when available", keep checking your email, react quickly. Good luck and Happy hunting :s0155:

Anyone here ever try this stuff?
The data they have for it makes it look pretty impressive with .44 and .357.

Has anyone seen it for sale anywhere?
Just FYI, Alliant ran their data with a 10" pressure barrel (doesn't everyone shoot a 10" TC Contender?). So I would take their velocity numbers for the magnum revolver rounds with a very large grain of salt. From what I have read, the real world numbers put it very close to W-296 and H-110, performance wise. A little slower burning, so it may provide a performance boost with very long barrels such as the lever action carbines. Sounds like conventional .357 and .44 Mag revolvers may wind up with some unburned powder in the barrel and potentially erratic performance. Again, I haven't tried it yet myself, so this is hearsay. I wouldn't order an 8 lb keg to try it out, though. I wouldn't mind trying a pound if I could find it, and it was priced around $20-$25.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top