JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a fair amount of Alliant e3 powder from a NWFA member today. There really isn't any published data for this powder in handgun cartridges that I could find. Has anybody else here tried this powder in 9mm, 45, etc. Here are a couple of people who have tried it in 9mm and didn't blow their hands or faces off.

And Koda tried it in 45acp also:

Last Edited:
Alliant has posted some 12ga data on their site. I suppose what I would go is find a 12ga powder that uses similar charge weights, maybe green dot? Then compare to how those known powders translate to pistol use. Should be a good starting point, I think.

Alliant has posted some 12ga data on their site. I suppose what I would go is find a 12ga powder that uses similar charge weights, maybe green dot? Then compare to how those known powders translate to pistol use. Should be a good starting point, I think.
Supposedly an Alliant rep gave out advice of using red dot data minus 10%. I am inclined to try out what others have been using and I am hoping some locals have tried e3 in 9mm.

Does anybody know if Alliant e3 is a double based powder? I have not been able to find that info on Alliant's site, yet.

Here is link to MSDS for e3 and other powders. It would appear that it is double based but not sure.

Edit: Alliant got back to me and this was the reply.

"All Alliant propellants are double based products.

Thanks,"

Last Edited:
The e3 shows a lot of potential. I tried a 30-30 load and 350 Legend load and they both sent the bullet out the barrel and brass was fine, primer was fine. I have a 5gr 303 British load with a 217gr bullet ready to fire. I will try it later this afternoon. I am going to try 3grs in 7.62x39 with 170gr bullet. I may try the 3grs in 300 BO but I forgot my 300 BO die set so unless I can jerry rig my other die set to load the 300 BO, I might have to put that one on back burner.

20220408_181752.jpg

20220408_165830.jpg

The e3 shows a lot of potential. I tried a 30-30 load and 350 Legend load and they both sent the bullet out the barrel and brass was fine, primer was fine. I have a 5gr 303 British load with a 217gr bullet ready to fire. I will try it later this afternoon. I am going to try 3grs in 7.62x39 with 170gr bullet. I may try the 3grs in 300 BO but I forgot my 300 BO die set so unless I can jerry rig my other die set to load the 300 BO, I might have to put that one on back burner.

View attachment 1173492

View attachment 1173493
Hmm, you might stick a bullet with those 3gr loads.

Hmm, you might stick a bullet with those 3gr loads.
3 grains worked fine and stuck the bullet in a juniper tree. 5grs worked great for 30-30, 303 British and 350 Legend. Now that I know the e3 works, the next step is to test for range and accuracy. The brass came out pretty clean in all but the 350 Legend which had a small amount of soot. Might need a slightly heavier charge for that cartidge.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top