JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok I'm a noob on this subject but I'm super curious about form 1 solvent traps. How are people building these for $50-$75 dollars? Is this all in (besides the tax stamp)? Do these perform as well as more expensive cans?

Also, is it smarter to just buy something from a company like Quiet Bore or a likewise company? This would theoretically be going on a 9mm XDm so would I need a booster device also?

Any guidance would be great!

To answer some of your questions.

People are most likely....stretching the truth....when they are claiming to have put them together for that cheap, that is unless they are running their own machine shop and not counting their labor.

If they are actually able to do so for that cheap it is most likely a poor/inefficient design (the freeze plugs type come to mind)

To stay legal once approved, the body of the silencer has to be engraved. That alone would eat into the above costs.

Those super cheap types would never be able to hold a candle to a true K baffle type for its intended purpose.

As your XD is a tilting breach you would need a Nielson device (Booster) have it run right.

Honestly I would go with Quitebore, and read the information they have about forum 1's and the other information that's posted on their site, I'm in the middle of doing my first forum one and will be using them once my forum gets approved

Depends on use.

Plenty of examples here by @wired using Chinesium solvent traps that cost sub $100. Some of which are extremely well made from the pictures perspective

Most sub $100 are from questionable sources in China made from questionable Aluminum. However, aluminum is plenty strong for pistol and rimfire. If it has enough internal volume, it should suppress well enough.

Industry standard thread pitches are being used on many of the tubes by many solvent trap makers. So boosters can be purchased by name brand suppressor companies and threaded into your home made can.

You do not need a bunch of fancy equipment, or a mill or lathe. A drill press helps, but honestly most baffles by most solvent trap companies are center punched or started so a hand drill could be used.

Quiet bore is an extremely easy way to go. Especially if you buy their jig.

A form 4 can is the easier route, if you don't feel like messing around making one. That and you get a warranty. So if you mess it up they fix it.

Beat of luck. Have fun! Lots of products out there now. More than ever.

Whenever form 1 silencer discussion comes up you see people postulating on things they have no experience with. I don't offer up opinions on how to tune Lamborghinis because I don't know what I am talking about. If you don't know that you can easily build a silencer for a fraction of what a store bought one costs why would you throw your opinion out there that it can't be done or that it's performance will be sub par. Not true. ? Makes no sense to me. In any case yes, you can build one for $75 and less. It will work fine on a PCC. It will not cycle on a browning action pistol. You can build one with titanium a tube and hardened baffles for under $300 that will handle everything up to 300 Win Mag. You can build one that will cycle on any pistol for $300 booster included. The best part being you get the stamp in under a month. It used to be you didn't want to do something that you couldn't reverse because of the high price of the stamp and the long wait and complicated paperwork and because it was beyond your scope of knowledge. All the info is on the internet, the paperwork is SIMPLE, $200? It's the cost of a dinner now and the wait is 3 weeks. You can build 2 to 4 cans for what one store bought silencer costs. AND you get to learn a skill.seems simple to me.

$250 and Three weeks . I doeesnt trap solvent any more but it sure sounds good on a .223. Titanium tube and ends and 17-4 SS guts/

oyCGVb.jpg

Ok I'm a noob on this subject but I'm super curious about form 1 solvent traps. How are people building these for $50-$75 dollars? Is this all in (besides the tax stamp)? Do these perform as well as more expensive cans?

Also, is it smarter to just buy something from a company like Quiet Bore or a likewise company? This would theoretically be going on a 9mm XDm so would I need a booster device also?

Any guidance would be great!
Look at youtube for this. I got the Wife VERY interested in one of these, in .22 to start. Have a handful of .22's that are set up to take a can. Just did not want to wait almost a year for one. Then wired told me about the Form1. I don't know how I had missed this. Looked at youtube, there are several demonstrations on ones made from a kit. Kind of like an 80% lower. You can buy them in the $50 and up range and anyone who is not a total klutz can make them work. You just do the Form1 and get the OK FIRST, and you are gold. One I watched the guy is doing the thing at his kitchen table with a hand held drill and a pair of pliers so his little girl can help. He then has the little girl shooting the finished product and it looks and sounds great. Again he mentions, do the Form1 first, when you have your stamp, build your can. He was doing the way he did to show anyone can do it. If not for this huge Hoax and what it has done to the economy I am, sure I would already have at least one, if not more, cans put together and working. Wife is asking to hold off a little since this hit to the economy scared hell out of her. It is shockingly easy and cheap to do though. Just do it legally.

Questions for @wired as our resident expert;
What is the source for the trap kit pictured??
Do you have other sources you would recommend also??
Any sources to avoid??

After reading the ATF instructions for Form 1 I am more confused than before. Could you please answer the following questions with examples (fictionalized where desired, of course) of what you have used??

Form(1) questions;
Line 4(a) Name and Address of Original Manufacturer and/or
Importer of Firearm (If any) - Is this the supplier of the trap kit, or??
Line 4(d) Model - Whatever I want to call it, or??
Line 4(e) Barrel length - Same as (f) Overall length or leave (e) blank??
Line 4(h) Additional Description - It sounds like this should this include the information in Lines 4(d) and 4(g) as they will be engraved on the silencer, but should it??
Line 5(b) Class - Leave blank??
Line 8 Name and title of authorized official - Who's that??
Thanks!!

For pistol caliber stuff like 9mm I'd go with K Cups from solventtrapcups.com. One of their B can kits or D can kits work really well assuming you do your part . There is machine work involved and you will need a friend with a mill and/or lathe.

Solvent Trap Kit | B-Size Solvent Trap Kit With Stainless Steel Cups

For .22 stuff just about anything will work. Wish.com for tubes with baffles and theyre what? $20. Or you can get a C cup kit . Theres a guy on the form one suppressor board selling a really nice all stainless kit for $120 or so. Ive got one integral .22 that I built from a wish.com "muzzle brake" .

I think you need to sign up there to see this page...

Those cones in the pic came from pure performance armory. The tube came from SD Tactical and the ends from prepper discount.

If you can't do machine work clipped cones using the same cones are much easier to do with a drill and a dremel than K baffles an work as well or maybe almos tas well.

Storage Cups 60* 1.355" 17-4 SS Heat Treated | Pure Performance Armory

Most of those questions don't apply to form 1 silencers and are what you'd do for a form one SBR . In any case dont do the paper form. Takes a lot longer. Do the eform online. The eform is kind of like an IQ test. All the information is there . You just have to figure out how to click the right boxes. Get on the ATF to send you some fingerprint cards for free and get a ink pad from amazon. take a selfie and attach it. roll your own prints. Done deal. Keep in mind that the ATF website was designed in 1980 or so and is a complete piece of garbage but if you are patient and persistent it will reward you. Seriously , its a piece of crap but it does work eventually.

This a whole new world. I remember the bad old days when you couldnt buy a threaded tube much less anything that resembled a silencer baffle. It used to take HOURS to machine one K baffle out of bar stock.

Last Edited:
I have 2 .223 cans. One has 8 white trash tactical titanium radial shielded D size ( 1.355") cones . Hawk innovative tactical ASR titanium tubemand a Hawk Ti end cap. ASR Alpha quck disconnect.

The other is a standard Ti tube from SD tactical with 17-4 60 degree cones from Pure Performance Armory. Ti end caps from preppers discount. and a Bravo ASR silencerco quick disconnect adapter.

Both have double clipped baffles and .280" bores.

6O0TKa.jpg

Questions for @wired as our resident expert;
What is the source for the trap kit pictured??
Do you have other sources you would recommend also??
Any sources to avoid??

After reading the ATF instructions for Form 1 I am more confused than before. Could you please answer the following questions with examples (fictionalized where desired, of course) of what you have used??

Form(1) questions;
Line 4(a) Name and Address of Original Manufacturer and/or
Importer of Firearm (If any) - Is this the supplier of the trap kit, or??
Line 4(d) Model - Whatever I want to call it, or??
Line 4(e) Barrel length - Same as (f) Overall length or leave (e) blank??
Line 4(h) Additional Description - It sounds like this should this include the information in Lines 4(d) and 4(g) as they will be engraved on the silencer, but should it??
Line 5(b) Class - Leave blank??
Line 8 Name and title of authorized official - Who's that??
Thanks!!

Hopefully this helps some, I found it quite invaluable while filling mine out

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top