JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"INCREDIBLE: Tennessee school counselor talks student with gun out of shooting.

A 14-year-old boy went to Sycamore Middle School on Wednesday asking to speak with counselor Molly Hudgens, according to WKRN-TV.

Authorities said he told her he was having problems and was going to kill teacher and a police officer, but no students; he told her she was the only one who could talk him out of it.

She did.

Read the whole thing."

BZ to the counselor.
This is an important part: "The boy was taken into custody without injury, "

Long long ago, but not so long after Columbine, I had a 14 yr old student tell me he had been bullied and that he was gonna teach them a lesson and "do a Columbine." Fortunately, it was right at the start of my prep period (I'm a teacher), so I had the free time to talk this kid through his anger. I explained how horribly sad I would be if he "Columbined" bc his life would then be over. He'd be dead or incarcerated. I told him that bc I cared about him, I was going to ask him to go to visit the counselor with me right then. That legally, to keep him and everyone else safe, I had to report him, but that the counselor might be able to give him some good non-violent ways to deal with his anger. He was so glad to have someone really express caring for him that he was totally ok with me turning him in.
The story has a good ending. He matured. Graduated from high school. Never "Columbined." Ended up joining the army, got married, had kids.
Kids need safe adults who care about them. Adults willing to really listen, non-judgementally, to their anger and pain. I'm happy that I'm in a place where I can often be that safe adult, but I don't think you have to be a school teacher or counselor to listen. Kids want adults to care about them. We may be able to save lives by being open to the kids around us. Who knows.

"INCREDIBLE: Tennessee school counselor talks student with gun out of shooting.

A 14-year-old boy went to Sycamore Middle School on Wednesday asking to speak with counselor Molly Hudgens, according to WKRN-TV.

Authorities said he told her he was having problems and was going to kill teacher and a police officer, but no students; he told her she was the only one who could talk him out of it.

She did.

Read the whole thing."

BZ to the counselor.
This is an important part: "The boy was taken into custody without injury, "

Don't get me wrong, definitely awesome on the counselor's part here but this issue sounds a lot like a kid with Conduct Disorder (being the armchair psychologist that I am?). CD being the children's version of Antisocial Personality Disorder aka psychopathy.

Get that kid locked up and mental treatment fast, it's only going to get worse from here.

Maybe, or maybe just a mega-messed up, angst-filled kid who had no problem solving skills and was crying out to this counselor for help. Hang around teenagers a lot and you see a lot of temporary insanity. If you can keep them alive a few more years, they often mature and become normal humans. Or not.

Don't get me wrong, definitely awesome on the counselor's part here but this issue sounds a lot like a kid with Conduct Disorder (being the armchair psychologist that I am?). CD being the children's version of Antisocial Personality Disorder aka psychopathy.

Get that kid locked up and mental treatment fast, it's only going to get worse from here.
Why lock him up? He obviously needs help and he had the presence of mind to seek out an adult he trusted. It's lucky he did trust her.
Incarceration in a mental facility sounds like a great way to screw a kid up.
When I was a teenager I couldn't get people to listen to me when I needed help.
The school system failed me miserably. I was lucky to turn out so "well balanced".

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top