JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy all -

I find myself getting more into hunting, primarily birds so far, but likely deer this upcoming year. Additionally, I do quite a bit of fishing throughout the year. I own a few different lower end knives I've been using for these purposes so far, but I would like to purchase a nicer, dedicated "outdoorsing" knife, for my various hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping needs. What can everyone suggest? I know I would prefer a fixed blade, and am envisioning something in the 3"-5" range. I would like to keep it in the $40-60 range, though am not entirely opposed to going slightly higher if needed for a quality knife.

As a side/related note, how important/useful is it to have a gutting/skinning hook?

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks..!

I'm an old fart
I love carbon steel knives, the kind that rust!
They are easy to sharpen and can shave hair off your arm!
I hate stainless, even 440C is a disapointment compared to carbon steel!
If you like to make the yard sale/ circuit you will eventually find carbon steel kitchen knives. the old Hickory brand knives started a $.98 and worked up to $5.00.
You will only need a 3" blade with a slight curve to dress a deer. you might find a vidieo on Youtube that shows this; I know that the VT. Dept of Fish and Game made a movie/VHS on this subject. ten minutes to dress a deer with a carbon steel pocket knife, posibably less with a knapped flint blade, but who's counting?
knives are tools dressed-up like fishing lures to make you bite!
Know your task, choose your tool for that job and ignore the hype!

There are as many opinions about knives as there are, well, knives.
A knife is a real personal thing I think. While the carbon suggestion may be the perfect knife for some the high end custom damascus may be for another. Just like a firearm, or even a car different individuals will seek different levels of pride in ownership, ergonomics, feel, performance, edge holding ability and yes, even corrosion resistance.
Here is a site that I guanantee will provide you with every bit of information you could ever want ant then x100. It is a very interesting place. <broken link removed>
You may even find that you want to build your own as I have begun doing.

Here are a couple of pic of the knife I made in a thread right in this forum.
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/non-firearm-weapons/48184-do-you-make-knives.html

Last Edited:
Gotta recommend two. The Mora Clipper or something similar for fishing and general outdoor work including cleaning game. For skinning the Jarvenpaa Scout. Both painfully cheap and cheaply made but the steel is wonderful and takes an edge like no other knife I've ever owned. If you don't like either of those models there are tons more similar knives at varying price points from other scandi brands. Visit ragweedforge.com and check 'em out.

I will second both carbon and Damascus. Carbon is what I choose in a knife, personally and professionally. The edge you can put on one and maintain with little effort is, well, like a razor.
I bought my dad a custom Damascus one year for his birthday, and that thing is scary sharp.

Saw one of these at the Rickreall show today, and was very impressed, anybody have any experience with them? It's an Outdoor Edge Swingblade, felt very solid, made out of AUS-8, nice grippy handle on it, for like $50. Probably going to go back tomorrow and make it my hunting knife unless anybody tells me any horror stories about them tonight.

View attachment 190461

I'm the opposite, I hate knives that rust. Benchmade makes some decent hunting knives IMO. I'm partial to D2 myself. Has to be a fixed blade for me as well. Big PITA to dig the fat and blood out of a folder.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top