JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I live in Washington County too and I got a renewal notice. But I also have a UT and AZ CHL license. I just put those 2 expiration dates in my Outlook Calendar to make sure I don't forget those in case neither state sends out renewal notices. Best thing I did today :)

My WA permit expired on my last B-day (months ago), and I never got a reminder. I am now an out of state resident, that drove all the way back to Spokane the last time I renewed (and changed my address) and then this time, I get to the renewal date and forget (and no reminder). A shame. I would renew it if I could, but I suspect I would have to re-apply since I am late and out of state...

People die, People move, People forget to renew, People change political positions, and as said people find better options (the Idaho permit) Thats 5 reasons if you divide 11000 by 5 you get 2200 per reason. Think 2200 people might have moved out of state? How about 2200 of the what 578299 permits I could easily see 2200 people dying after all nation wide some 67500 people die each day! And if less people are applying for permits the total would decline.

I would guess that there is a relatively straightforward answer to this, related to the gun buying panic of 2012-2013.

Since WA licenses are on a 5 year renewal cycle, many of the more casual people (not actively carrying) who signed up for them during that panic may failed to renew now that 2018 has rolled around and there is not such a sense of urgency. Or at least until recent events.

I would guess that there is a relatively straightforward answer to this, related to the gun buying panic of 2012-2013.
I see this as nothing more than a typical fad/interest in guns that started post 94 AWB that eventually culminated in a dramatic appeal with 'black' guns, plastic pistols and overwhelming numbers of people becoming interested in 'self defense' and obtaining CCPs. This all seemed to peak in the 2012/13 time frame but began to drop off soon thereafter and is really being noticed now. Record numbers of used ARs/AKs on LGS racks, less numbers of CCL applicants. Bottom line is while the interest in 'black' guns and all that went along with it was obvious it was not sustainable. The nich, while seemingly vast was mostly impulsive, quick buys by the majority. Oh there are no doubt people who are longer term owners with more dedicated interests such as competition shooting but the fact remains the black gun interest ramped up quickly and is falling about as fast. Those of us who have grown up around guns and hunting and have always maintained an interest seem to be at about the same levels as I have always seen but the interest in 'modern firearms' is falling rapidly - and I doubt there will ever be a resurgence even if politics or attitudes change much.

The raw numbers, or 1.8% drop, don't say much.
I would speculate that it's a combination of saturation with shifting demographics.
With the greatest drops in King, Pierce, and somewhat, Snohomish counties, it's probable that residents from those counties gladly sold their properties at high dollar value to the liberals thronging into the area like Portland.
It is unlikely that these interstate immigrants will apply for permits.
As far as WA CPL, it's a low value return for the cost. I applied for one anyway - would prefer to have a good guy card native to the state I'm driving in. I just received mine in the mail, 10 days from when I applied. :)

Do CPL holders take out your wallet sometimes to see when it expires? I took it out my wallet probably about 10 times over the past years so I know when it expires. :confused:

In Thurston County no notice and I have to admit mine expired. Trying to find the time to go down and get it again but every time I plan it something interferes. Thanks for the reminder, really wish they would send a renewal notice. My fault completely though, procrastination gets me sometimes.

Last Edited:
I think that much of it depends on the amount of robberies and rapes in the media, or personal victimization. Our culture inhales and exhales in unison with media reports. When citizens are frightened due to a wave of particular crimes, CPLs go up. And, vice versa.

Old folks are probably more likely to be pro-gun, and want a CHL, and a lot of old folks are dying. Also, the insane property values in the Seatte area are probably prompting many to sell out and move to free states - unfortunately taking their commie politics with them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top