JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't or don't be alone?

That'd be the best situation.

Alone? Don't know that an abandoned house would be the best place to be. Best scenario is to travel unseen, or at the least, unseen where you will rest. Incredibly difficult to do in some circumstances, so keep going.

I've traveled a hole bunch solo (hiking, backpacking, pedal cycle touring), so could revert back easily enough I'd imagine. Worst rest I've had was in abandoned buildings/houses (Hungary, Kazakhstan, Ukraine and Xinjiang region China come to mind). For me in those situations it was the creep factor, every little noise was some giant rat (in my mind) getting at my food.

If I needed a hard shelter for a bit, I would use it (cooking, personal hygiene etc) then setup outside nearby to sleep or move on. Took me a while to learn, but once I learned that, it works great.

Tin can and some pebbles.
We used those pull firecrackers as kids to boobytrap doors. They basically have a string out both ends and when you pull they have a firecracker that goes off.

If it's a door an airhorn on the wall works well, if they open it fully.

I use these things. Cheap and effective force multiplier, completely wireless and self-powered:
1b1.jpg
If you get a couple sets, you can set up a receiver dedicated to each zone. They are easy to camouflage with RealTree tape or ultraflat spray paint cans.

https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Wirel...604676&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=driveway+alarm

They make a similar one that has a keychain remote on/off. I used 2 of them in my apartment back east - covered the entire place except the bed/bath. Easy & simple.

Reminds me I have to pick some up for my house as a backup to the commercial alarm. Thanks!

I always thought an interior swinging barrier that could be closed at night would be just the thing. Maybe a "door" made of iron pipe and chains. The home invader busts your door down making a hell of a racket, then runs into the internal barrier that he had no clue was there. His delay gives you plenty of time to wake up and situate your family in a defensive position, get armed, etc. If he stays and tries to defeat the barrier you shoot his bubblegum, but more likely he just gets the hell out.

I tried to talk my wife into putting such a door in, since we have no dogs, but she thought it would look too ugly. "Form over function"... :rolleyes:

Oops, now that I re-read the OP I see this solution won't work for what you are looking for.

I had a very close friend who owned a gun shop in Pierce county back in the 90's. He had a chain link fence all around his property. His early warning system was a couple of geese. He openly dared anyone to try ad sneak into his yard without him knowing.

Forgot about this tip, because it's second nature to me:

Not an alert system (per say), but door bars are super handy. Gives a few extra moments for you to wake up & orient yourself when "zombies" are attempting to kick in the door. They still will, but it will take more effort, time & noise.

Staying at motels & at home I use a commercial bar from master lock. Collapsed it fits nicely in one of my duffle bags.

Now here is a great spin on the same principal for a get home kit:

A hiking staff/rifle monopod. The one I have I bought years ago, and don't know the brand. I think I bought it bass pro or campmor. A quick google-foo didn't show the one I have.

It's similar to this one (NOTE-LINK IS FOR THE PICTURE):

Rifle Holder Walking Stick (http://www.utopiatools.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SKU1381&click=5015&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine&gclid=CO_Xv_Lw3M0CFQmVfgodlfIKOA)

Anyways it's a collapse able/adjustable hiking staff that has 2 attachments for the top camera mount stud. One is a wooden ball making it a hiking / walking stick.

The other attachement is a "V" to use as a rifle monopod. I've used this as a stand for my loaded touring bicycle...and...as a door bar with success. Stopped a completely drunk / confused Chinese truck driver trying to get into my room at a Tibet roadhouse.

I find walking sticks / trekking poles are very handy as intended too...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top