JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
What was the 'best' (or better yet worst) thing you have read from an anti about this?
WORST: (Lemme get back to you on the 'best')

They seem so preoccupied with what/who/why/how/where the firearm was loaded, rather than understanding the importance of the basic firearm safety rules.

Loaded/Unloaded is primarily irrelevant as FIREARMS ARE TO BE ALWAYS TREATED AS IF THEY ARE LOADED.

This thinking that the lady was already doomed by the time the firearm was in Baldwin's possession; rather than grasping the simple fact that if Baldwin had instead kept the muzzle pointed in a safe direction while practicing his draw,; she would still be alive today.

It's like having discourse with a sack of potatoes.

I was fortunate enough to have a decent dialog with a major Hollywood Director to glean some knowledge from his personal experience. The guy who wrote/directed Marvel flicks "Guardians of the Galaxy", "Suicide Squad" He's a Lib, but it was mostly cordial.

:s0114:

20211027_234019.jpg

Even though Baldwin is all those things, He was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing with that gun!
As an actor according to standard movie set protocols would not be allowed to open or check a firearm.
Early in this thread a movie crew member posted about the standard set procedure.
In those standard protocols, The armorer would bring out the guns, prove they are unloaded including pushing a rod through the barrel and chambers. [This is in front of the whole crew!] For practice a rubber gun would be used, and then just before the action was started the Armorer would load only the correct amount of ammo needed for that scene. And the reason the actors are not allowed to open or mess with the guns is ... since they only load the proper amount of ammo, the armorer also must index the cylinder of a revolver to be sure the next round up is the blank! The others in the cylinder will be dummy rounds that if the camera catches the front of the gun will look like its fully loaded. If this was a different picture using semi auto guns the actor if checking the loaded status would eject the loaded blank on to the set. And screw up the number of blanks in the gun!

What was different on this set was "due to Covid restrictions" all non-essential people were kept off the set. Including the safety people. The guns were not secured at all times by the Armorer and staff. they were left on a open cart and picked up by the assistant director. It also does not seem that the armorer kept them secured while off the set. And that twice before a gun with a problem was used. it had twice had an AD during a scene.

Now this last part is my own speculation but the experienced Prop Master who refused the job after four days of negotiations said he did so over safety reasons. He probably saw a problem in the producers plan to reduce the number of people on set. And wanted no part of it!

So Baldwin the actor would not be allowed to open , check, or mess with the gun handed to him.
But Baldwin the producer May be held responsible for breaking standard protocols, hiring people who were not up to the job, and not seeing to the safety and security of the people working for him .
The Prop Master, Armorer, and Assistant Director, also failed to safely do their jobs, and share some responsibility! DR
Good explanation of the process and the underlying flaws. However, we all have choices in life and, as an anti-2A activist, vehemently outspoken against guns, AB didn't have to be there doing that. Or, put another way, I don't believe anybody was holding a gun to his head.

MSM: "No one wants to take your Western Movies away but due to the tragic accidental death during the making of the move 'Rust', the need for common sense AB laws are required. .."

Its not about gun control. Its about AB control.

AND not that it really matters but the 24 YO 'armorer' was previoulsy involved in another act of stupidity just last year:
As others have stated, this "article" is so flawed it's impossible to follow... It did say somebody was rented. :confused:
It was the Armorers negligence. This is not a shooting range or a war. This is a movie set. Actors have to rely on the armorer to ensure the weapon is safe and suitable for the action on a movie set which includes point guns at people you do not want to destroy and pulling the trigger. What happened was not Alex Baldwins fault unless he ordered the Armorer to place live ammo in the gun.
I'd argue this to a point. The armorer was bypassed by the assistant director who grabbed the gun off of the cart and handed it to Baldwin. The armorer didn't check or release the gun to be used. The director selected the gun and claimed it was a "cold gun". NOBODY checked the gun, including Baldwin.

John Schneider, known as Bo Duke, was the one that was interviewed in the video a "hundred" pages ago that stated the proper method of declaring and showing the gun is indeed safe to fire. We know that didn't happen.

The members that turn on, and attack, other members because of a minor difference of opinion really suck the enjoyment out if this site sometimes.

To the hardworking mods here, please don't sterilize the place, like other forums mods do, those types need to be out in the open so we know who they are.

I find some opposing opinions important. You never know what people really think unless they are free to express themselves. Block or ignore those that are rude or childish. Personal attacks are unnecessary but consider the source. For me they hold zero value. If you have something to say or better information try saying it with respect.

Hello BB,

My post was still on there this morning because that is where I looked it up to put it on THIS forum. Wherever that LONG AB thread is over there.

I have not signed in since this morning.

I have NO one on ignore HERE or THERE or on any place in the WWWeb.

Let me go over there in a bit and see what I can find.

ADDED MORE:

IT is still posted there - Post 200 on that LONG thread.

IT is on the 'I see why Hollywood is afraid, etc.' THREAD.

I do and did have THIS message thing shut off due to travel and I may put it on again.

My husband and I are making some FINAL decisions regarding the INTERNET - companies and telephones too. So that is coming up soon too.

Take care!

Cate

ADDED more.
I found it... thx.

Still haven't gotten to the end of that thread. LOL

bb

And you see how that 'knowledge' had zero effect on the physical act of pointing and discharging a loaded gun at someone.

The RULES of gun safety are NOT situational.

YMMV

It did for Baldwin's victim.

And you see how that 'knowledge' had zero effect on the physical act of pointing and discharging a loaded gun at someone.

The RULES of gun safety are NOT situational.

YMMV

It did for Baldwin's victim.
Its a movie set. People point guns at each other and pull triggers. You've seen movies before, right? The Armorer makes sure those guns arent loaded with live rounds. No live rounds should ever be on the set of any motion picture . What passes for gun safety in the real world and what passes for gun safety on the set of a motion picture are different. We follow our rules it works. They follow their rules it works. Stop following the rules? Guess what happens.

I don't care if Mister Rogers himself hands me a weapon, because I know that the damn GUN does not know we are in the land of make believe.

We obviously have differing definitions of responsibility.

Peace.

LAST THOUGHT - If AB was 'practicing his cross draw', there was NO REASON to be pointing a gun at another human being.

Last Edited:
I don't care if Mister Rogers himself hands me a weapon, because I know that the damn GUN does not know we are in the land of make believe.

We obviously have differing definitions of responsibility.

Peace.

LAST THOUGHT - If AB was 'practicing his cross draw', there was NO REASON to be pointing a gun at another human being.
Also , as an actor it is not only NOT your responsibility to make sure you're gun is safe to handle and point at others you are NOT allowed to open up said weapon , take the mag out, look down the barrel etc. That is the armorers responsibility, job etc. The last thing you want from a liability standpoint , besides live ammo on the set, is a bunch of idiot actors being their own armorers and destroying the integrity of the process. If the set armorer had done HER job on this set we wouldnt be having this discussion.

Even if I buy the Armorer defense, you still have not addressed the elephant in the room.

Even if I buy the Armorer defense, you still have not addressed the elephant in the room.

The elephany in the room? You mean that actors are idiots and you have to hire adults to make sure they dont do stupid sht? That was the armorers responsibility. She flubbed it. Actors are waiving stuff around all day long getting into character. The elephant in the room was the armorer not doing her job for whatever reason.

Do you seriously think that AB will face criminal charges? Hell to the no. He will not and he will not because he is not criminally to blame for shooting the cinematographer . The Armorer is. He is in a world of hurt on the civil side though.

Its a movie set. People point guns at each other and pull triggers. You've seen movies before, right? The Armorer makes sure those guns arent loaded with live rounds. No live rounds should ever be on the set of any motion picture . What passes for gun safety in the real world and what passes for gun safety on the set of a motion picture are different. We follow our rules it works. They follow their rules it works. Stop following the rules? Guess what happens.
No they don't. This has been explained repeatedly.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads