JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I don't see this as particularly relevant. The gun was in his hand and obviously no one else pulled the trigger so either he he did, or the gun failed and discharged - regardless it was pointed in the direction of the people and one died because of his negligent gun handling.
I agree, and I failed not to add that. I thought to include that after I hit 'Post Reply'.

My point was more to do with how it's being reported as if it was an accidental discharge(a mechanical malfunction of the firearm) rather than a negligent discharge. It's an easier road to prove to a jury that his actions could be considered by a reasonable person to be reckless and criminally negligent, and not muddied by reasonable doubt concerning a potentially defective firearm.

The media has reported that there were previous 'misfires' earlier in production on set. A 'misfire' by definition is a gun that didn't fire/an explosion that failed to occur/a dud. This reporting might also lead a laymen to believe that the firearm in question being used may have been malfunctioning.

Of course, I presume that the term 'misfire' is being used incorrectly. That either the firearm accidentally discharged or that there were previous negligent discharges on set, and that Baldwin was fully aware of them.

Last Edited:
Speaking of movie guns, why do they all make a "click" sound when they are aimed at someone? I wonder who started that trend and why. Seems like every TV and movie sound editor now does that. My wife and I call them "clicky guns" when we see it in movies.
My thinking is that it became universal due to the 4 click sound of SAA (or clicks of SA black powder revolvers) in westerns and then later in Cop shows/movies too when they were still using revolvers. So the click of the hammer became associated with guns and later was used in movies even when the hammer was already cocked or even when it's a striker fired gun sometimes.

My thinking is that it became universal due to the 4 click sound of SAA (or clicks of SA black powder revolvers) in westerns and then later in Cop shows/movies too when they were still using revolvers. So the click of the hammer became associated with guns and later was used in movies even when the hammer was already cocked or even when it's a striker fired gun sometimes.
Along with endless racking of slides. Each time a gun is show, must rack slide.

And I'm saying "Damn man, you just NOW thought about loading a round??????"

Yessir, outside playing regardless of the weather. Was outdoors until "the street lights came on". Television was a treat and limited.

But things were different back then too. As kids we were relatively safe, the neighbors all knew who our parents were, the neighborhood police officer walked his beat, kids weren't snatched up like today, and excuses weren't made for pedophiles and child molesters.
Good points

Nah...it all went down before, it always has, it just wasn't in everyone's face. Hell the worse school masacre to date was in 1927. Evil been around since man has been around.

Agreed and understood, but in the last 50-60 years the mask sure has been taken off, making it more blatant in and your face.

This is what I have to tell MYself once in a while. Man isn't just NOW turning evil. Mankind has always been a scourge on the earth. It's juts now the 24/7 commercial media is there to ingrain mans evil into everyone's brains that chooses to listen. It may also be getting worse than 100 years ago. "They" tell us now that lawbreakers shouldn't be punished, the poor things.
I don't know if we have a way of determining how much this particular crime has or hasn't increased over the decades. I do suspect that cellular phones and internet communication has made it a lot easier to traffic children than it was previously.

I love how they are so freaking careful to state it was Baldwins fault.

Reading a bit more about some of the stuff coming to light on this accident.

Baldwin was practicing a cross draw scene. Gun was being moved from off hand across camera to strong hand. Being single action revolver, so many safety protocols should have been followed. Gun should not have been cocked. Trigger finger should not have been anywhere near the trigger for "practice".

Reports coming in from other actors stating it is almost always common procedure that a gun is shown clear, chamber or cylinder open and such before being handed to actor. Clearly this never happened. Nor did Baldwin take notice of it not happening. Nor did he seem to care that it didn't. Hell, I care when it doesn't happen when simply looking at a firearm at a store or giving someone one of my guns to look at or shoot. I ALWAYS show clear before handing someone one of my guns.

Reports that police found live ammo and blanks on set. Apparently this is an industry absolutely no no. What the hell happened here is just absolutely poor safety procedures. The person handling this will likely be the one that gets most of the criminal charges.

Reports that the gun Baldwin used was being used for "range practice" off set as well. Scary if true considering the movie prop guns (rather real guns or not) should be strictly used without real ammunition when issued to a movies armorer.

Im at the point where as much as I don't truly think Baldwin meant to do this, he certainly is not 100% innocent, and could potentially be held criminally responsible in a court setting as he was a part of this films executive's management and should have done better to ensure himself and his crew where safe. There were some 3-5 steps of safety not being practiced on this movies set. Shameful in this gun owners views.

Looking into the lady killed, she seemed like a good person and a loving wife and mother. I hope her family can find some resemblance of life after this loss and as I said earlier, she rest peacefully.

Last Edited:
Cameraman on set: Alec Baldwin was very careful with guns

Until that one day...
adding that 24-year-old armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was simply too young to be given a task of this magnitude.

Heck, my sixth grader is old enough to check for ammunition in and safely unload a Colt style Single Action Army revolver.

adding that 24-year-old armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was simply too young to be given a task of this magnitude.

Heck, my sixth grader is old enough to check for ammunition in and safely unload a Colt style Single Action Army revolver.
Has it been brought up in one of these links? Dunno, but I'm hearing now on the Hannity radio show that there are OTHER dummy rounds that go in that gun that look real, with bullets, that have no powder/primer under them. For realism for the viewer. So, we have Blanks, Dummy Rounds and real live ammo, on the set. Wut? 🤷‍♂️

Has it been brought up in one of these links? Dunno, but I'm hearing now on the Hannity radio show that there are OTHER dummy rounds that go in that gun that look real, with bullets, that have no powder/primer under them. For realism for the viewer. So, we have Blanks, Dummy Rounds and real live ammo, on the set. Wut? 🤷‍♂️
If Baldwin was simply practicing his draw with what he was told was an unloaded pistol, why was their a need to point it at a person and pull the trigger?

As many others here have stated, if you are going to "practice" pulling the trigger on a firearm you ALWAYS check to make sure it is unloaded AND point the muzzle in a safe direction.

If Baldwin was simply practicing his draw with what he was told was an unloaded pistol, why was their a need to point it at a person and pull the trigger?

As many others here have stated, if you are going to "practice" pulling the trigger on a firearm you ALWAYS check to make sure it is unloaded AND point the muzzle in a safe direction.
I'm not giving this subject that much of my attention to have any real answers. It's a terrible thing for everyone involved. that's all I know. I was making potato salad and had the radio on. And didn't know if that 3rd type of cartridge had been brought up.

Smelling like poop to me, too. Both my kids could field strip and reassemble an AK blindfolded well before they graduated from H.S. They were exposed to semi-auto, slide-action, bolt-action and several single shot long-guns. DA and SA wheel guns, DA/SA, DAO, SA (and DP51 tri-action) semi-auto pistols. I find it hard to believe that Thell Reed's daughter didn't have similar exposure and competence.

They were framing up the next sequence that they were going to shoot, but needed to adjust positioning of the cast as well of the camera(s) due to light streaming in and casting shadows. Baldwin was to do a cross draw and point toward the camera from what was written. Still doesn't explain how the shot was fired, a SAA has to be cocked and then triggered. Just sounds like negligence to me…

Read that in one of the numerous short articles out there describing the environment in what feel
like 144 character bites…. As opposed to bytes…

I have some of these in various pistol calibers. They are only case & bullet w/ sand as fill; to simulate the weight of an actual cartridge. The primer pockets are packed with rubber/plastic.

They work great to check for flinching when practicing the 'Guess where the random snap cap is' drill.

Smelling like poop to me, too. Both my kids could field strip and reassemble an AK blindfolded well before they graduated from H.S. They were exposed to semi-auto, slide-action, bolt-action and several single shot long-guns. DA and SA wheel guns, DA/SA, DAO, SA (and DP51 tri-action) semi-auto pistols. I find it hard to believe that Thell Reed's daughter didn't have similar exposure and competence.
There's almost 8 BILLION people on this rock. That's a lot of stupid to spread around.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads