JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
The other victim speaks.

and more from Baldwin.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
This part of the article speaks volumes:

The 24-year-old head armorer in charge of guns on Alec Baldwin film where cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was tragically shot and killed on Thursday had admitted she wasn't sure she was ready for the job in an interview before filming started.

And this part is nearly incomprehensible:

She also admitted in the podcast interview she found loading blanks into a gun 'the scariest' thing because she did not know how to do it and had sought help from her father, legendary gunsmith Thell Reed, to get over the fear.
Even if she was completely innocent, she just put herself under a very large microscope when they start looking to lay blame.

I don't see any world where he faces charges on this. Whether playing make-believe or not, was he negligent in the handling of a firearm? Absolutely. Was he criminally negligent given the checks that movie sets allegedly put in place to prevent harm? No, highly unlikely.

And I wouldn't want him to face charges on it. Facing a trial gives him closure. I'd rather he live with this and be reminded by so many of those he's vilified that he's now forever a part of a group of people he's ridiculed, shamed, and disparaged publicly. Sure, hubris might allow him to try and justify it away, but it will always be there. And people will always be there to remind him.

I was thinking the same thing. Likely the people involved in those westerns (both prop people and actors) had respect for guns imo.

For example John Wayne did a gun safety video for kids I think I saw at like 14 years old or something. I remember him and the instructors in my gun safety class drilling over and over:

"Always assume a gun is loaded until u yourself check the chamber".

If the prop master, and or the director who handed him the gun, and/or Baldwin had followed the rules of firearm safety this accident never would have happened.

Good thing nobody there was native, he would've stormed out.

This part of the article speaks volumes:

The 24-year-old head armorer in charge of guns on Alec Baldwin film where cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was tragically shot and killed on Thursday had admitted she wasn't sure she was ready for the job in an interview before filming started.

And this part is nearly incomprehensible:

She also admitted in the podcast interview she found loading blanks into a gun 'the scariest' thing because she did not know how to do it and had sought help from her father, legendary gunsmith Thell Reed, to get over the fear.
This is what a diversity hire gets you.

When your "armorer" is scared of the weapons, you get these results.

I read above she was scared of loading the blanks. I'd think, and only my opinion, that the responsibility of being the "person in charge" was the reason behind the scared part. Being Thell Reed's daughter I imagine shooting has been a large part of her life.
And this was her second film, not the first where she'd stated she wasn't sure she was ready for that. (not a quote, my gist of her comments)

IIRC the bullet was pulled and re-seated to point it at the camera and look loaded and the primer was not deactivated. The next round was a blank, which propelled the stuck bullet out of the bore with a lot more power than I would expect. I don't remember all the sites I looked at.

IIRC the bullet was pulled and re-seated to point it at the camera and look loaded and the primer was not deactivated. The next round was a blank, which propelled the stuck bullet out of the bore with a lot more power than I would expect. I don't remember all the sites I looked at.
Sounds like you looked here or this is an uncanny replay...

IMG_5178.JPG

Yup....the sharks are gathering.

Aloha, Mark
As they should.

This appears as a multilayered issue, revolving around cost cutting, ultimately leading to a preventable death.

Same day, several discharges.

Same day experienced crew walk off. Supposedly & expressly due to safety concerns.

Death then occurs.

Actor whom committed homicide also one of the folks responsible for the costs of the production...

-Again, as it appears, & IMO.

Get your cartoon mutts squared away, @nammac!

Astro says "Ruh roh..."
Astro_ruh-roh.jpg

Scooby says, "Arooo...???"
scooby_doo_aroo.jpg

:D

ETA: corrected character name
H/T to @titsonritz
PS: Never watched the show, so wouldn't know... but yeah, I know who Velma is...

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews