JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
No matter what he broke (at least) one of the cardinal rules of firearm safety... they can try to blame it on an assistant or whatever for handing him a hot gun, but IMO ultimately if you pull the trigger its all on you.

Perhaps if Mr Baldwin wasn't so anti gun he would be used to handling firearms and know the 4 rules of guns safety.

If he did, he would have known that every time you pick up a gun u check the chamber (assume all guns are always loaded unless you yourself check the chamber). That holds true even if someone tells you "it's safe". Never let the muzzle cover anything u aren't willing to destroy. Keep fingers away from trigger until on the target.

Even if his new crew screwed up (which they did) he could have prevented the accident if he simply followed the most basic rules of gun safety. Also they should have known there was a serious issue when there were three previous accidental discharges and most of the crew walks out and says work environment is unsafe.
QFT

Joe

Yours must not check her DMs. Like another poster said, if this was old Clint Eastwood the tune would be different. If your chamber needs more echoing there's a little button you can press to ensure your space remains safe.
It's obvious that you're new here. I said absolutely nothing about not having a moral responsibility to know how to safely use a firearm. My comment was obviously 100% about the people that would force you to do their bidding in order to exercise a right. We've been through this over and over again through the years. The people I mentioned have a history of shamelessly leveraging the lives of children to pursue their desires for control.

Go ahead and play the gaslighting game if that's what makes you feel better. You might want to take it over to DU if you want to play that game because it's not going to fly here.

As for those suggesting that our opinions may be different if it were someone besides Baldwin, afraid I would have to respectfully disagree. Everyone handling a firearm is 100% responsible for that firearm. There are no exceptions.

Last Edited:
Yeah. Now that it was determined to be a live round how in the hell did he kill the cinematographer? Why was it even pointed at her?
Not having any film making experience, but having watched more than one "cowboy" or action movie I've seen many times where the gun was pointed at the camera. And I can't imagine where anything but a bullet would have enough energy to pass through one body and travel into another.
So with a muzzle loader or with a cap and ball revolver , making a blank load is easy....

Pour your powder charge..
Then put a felt wad...or a bit of newspaper / toilet paper over the power charge...
Prime or cap...
Fire....

And yes the felt wad or paper wad will exit with some force and at times smoldering....
Care must taken , just as when firing round balls or bullets.
Andy
Years ago, as a young lad I made a blank out of an old buckshot round. Cut the case and dumped the pellets out. Then I fired it off in the basement when Mom and Dad weren't home. I pointed it at the basement door. The cardboard wad hit the solid wood door frame and compressed the wood about a half an inch. I was totally stunned. I was about 20 feet away and even as a young lad (9-10ish) I knew if it had been pointed at a person or animal there would have been serious damage.

im no fan of Trump (okay I guess im a little bit of a fan), but I would love to see what he has to say about Alec Baldwin killing this poor woman with his firearm negligence
I'm sure at this point Jared, Don Jr., Melania, Ivanka, Eric, Barron and everyone else in the family are holding onto his thumbs for dear life to keep him off of Twitter.

Here's what I'm gathering as information comes out :

1) Low budget film so they were using normal sidearms (not bona fide prop guns) supposedly loaded with blanks.
2) Due to the low budget, they may not have been using highly trained armorers and safety officials.
3) It could not have been a blank cartridge in that one projectile was able to penetrate two people.
4) Baldwin could have been directed to fire toward the cinematographer and director in order to get a "muzzle view" of the firearm discharging on film.

1) Prolly takes more hours to get certified to be a wiener Dr. than a LARPER."
A dickdoc is an MD with a specialty in urology, so yup it takes a lot longer to be one of those than to be an actor.

2) The lethal round had the bullet pulled and reseated. When fired the bullet lodged in the bore, and the blank that was next up in cylinder rotation propelled it out of the gun with enough force to go through Ms. Hutchins and injure Mr. Souza. Who'd a thunk it?

It sounds like a soup sandwich...

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.56.08 AM.png

1) Prolly takes more hours to get certified to be a wiener Dr. than a LARPER."
A dickdoc is an MD with a specialty in urology, so yup it takes a lot longer to be one of those than to be an actor.

2) The lethal round had the bullet pulled and reseated. When fired the bullet lodged in the bore, and the blank that was next up in cylinder rotation propelled it out of the gun with enough force to go through Ms. Hutchins and injure Mr. Souza. Who'd a thunk it?
Where did you read it was a squib?

Not having any film making experience, but having watched more than one "cowboy" or action movie I've seen many times where the gun was pointed at the camera. And I can't imagine where anything but a bullet would have enough energy to pass through one body and travel into another.

Years ago, as a young lad I made a blank out of an old buckshot round. Cut the case and dumped the pellets out. Then I fired it off in the basement when Mom and Dad weren't home. I pointed it at the basement door. The cardboard wad hit the solid wood door frame and compressed the wood about a half an inch. I was totally stunned. I was about 20 feet away and even as a young lad (9-10ish) I knew if it had been pointed at a person or animal there would have been serious damage.
Reminds me of the time the cleaning jag pulled off the end of the wooden ramrod I was cleaning my muzzleloader with. After much consternation, I had the tremendous idea to go up to my shop, fire up the air compressor, remove the nipple and jam a small pointy air compressor attachment into the nipple hole and squeeze the lever on it. After seeing the jag put a hole in the shop wall sheetrock about 3 inches from a window, I thought - "That could have been expensive." I would like to be able to claim "as a young lad". :oops: It's just too bad air rifles had already been invented, or I would be a rich man today.

Sorry for the thread drift. I'm no Alec Baldwin fan (other than that one movie with Anthony Hopkins where I enjoyed watching him get pulverized by a grizzly bear) so I won't comment on his blunder. If you can't say something nice, and so forth.

'I wasn't sure if I was ready': The 24-year-old armorer who had doubts before being put in charge of guns on Alec Baldwin film set where he shot cinematographer dead - after some crew walked out over safety

• Armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed and assistant director Dave Halls were named in search warrant on Friday
  • Gutierrez-Reed, 24, laid out three guns, and Halls picked up a Colt pistol and handed it to Baldwin
  • 'Cold gun!' shouted Halls, a veteran assistant director who worked on Fargo and The Matrix Reloaded
  • When Baldwin pulled the trigger, a bullet was fired, killing the cinematographer and injuring the director
  • Gutierrez-Reed is the daughter of legendary Hollywood armorer Thell Reed who trained her from a young age
  • She recently served as head armorer on a film for the first time, on The Old Way, starring Nicolas Cage
  • In a podcast interview after filming ended, she said she wasn't sure if she was ready to be a head armorer
  • Meanwhile, troubling reports highlight safety concerns on the set of Baldwin's Western film, Rust
  • Production crew on the set of Rust walked out on Thursday morning in a row over safety and long hours
  • On Thursday, when they arrived to pack up, they found a team of non-union workers waiting to replace them
  • Halyna Hutchins decided to stay on the set and film with Alec Baldwin and the film director Joel Souza
  • She had been advocating on behalf of her team for better working conditions, but was killed by the bullet

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads