JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Although your statement seems to be coming true, the words "greenhorn" and "master" should generally not be used to reference a person, else bad things may happen. In a corporate system it should fall on who allowed this to happen as much as the person who was put into this position. Unfortunately it seldom does.
Seems odd, doesn't it ?
Apparently the firearms safety official on a movie set falls under the category of prop master.
Normal language and movie set nomenclature are two different things as in many disciplines, I suppose.

I'm going with several layers of incompetence leading up to a perfect storm.

I think both cases involved incompetence, although in the Baldwin case, Baldwin could have been directed to shoot toward the camera to get a muzzle view of the discharge on film. We don't know that for fact, though.
However it seems factual that were safety concerns on the set enough for the better trained union crew to walk off only to be replaced by a non-union crew.
No safety meetings, greenhorn prop master.....reads like a perfect storm.

This is the incompetence part and poor safety standards on the set.

That's pretty evil.
I couldn't subscribe to that one.
It looks like incompetence to me.
I sure hope it was purely incompetence. I agree that the cop was also highly incompetent when mixing up weapons.

Pretty bad situation all around. I don't really think Baldwin will recover from this. As much as his political nature runs wrong with many, I highly doubt killing someone was on his mind that day. The level of guilt and emotional distraught he is experiencing right now must be sickening.

RE: The armorer.

NOTE:
More than two articles were put up for everyone to read.

And?

Well.....one in particular was from a source in the UK. And another was from here in America. Yeah. So, what's the difference in coverage? Something to thing about maybe?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....even in court......there is/are frequently different versions of what actually happened (and the truth, according to some of the witnesses and experts).

As for the amount of News Media spin? Yeah.....you know how that goes.

Last Edited:
She also admitted in the podcast interview she found loading blanks into a gun 'the scariest' thing because she did not know how to do it and had sought help from her father, legendary gunsmith Thell Reed, to get over the fear.
1200px-Combat_masters_A1.jpg

The prop master will take the fall, Alec will blame an inanimate object for what happened, lawsuits will come and go, and the sun will come up tomorrow…. Alec Baldwin should be prohibited from ever handling a firearm again, on a movie set or otherwise. Period.

Another story on the subject of the armorer.

Aloha, Mark
and this one in the sidelines.

and this one in the sidelines.
It's sounding like the armorer didn't have the confidence to throw her weight around with the other big egos in the room. The assistant director should have checked with her but grabbed the gun and did something outside of his expertise: declare it cold.

Tragedy all the way around.

I like being able to read different stories about an event. Until I get tired of it. Wink, wink.

It's not like we ALL should have only ONE official version/source. Like with: Official Govt. Propaganda. Think for a second. Rrrrright....calling all other sources as....."rumor, lies, bad info, disinformation, etc....".

And, well......at any rate, I'm NOT here to play Jury.

And then......
It's amazing to see so many people here who will (and are willing to) declare one way or the other.....who's GUILTY and of WHAT.

LOL......especially just based on the New Media reporting.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Seems like the last layer of safety was to do the frontal shot with the gun aimed at a slight angle away from the camera. So as not to bring the camera people under direct aim, although looking like a true frontal shot on film.
A senior prop master described this technique in a previous news report.
The un-coached, ill-prepared Baldwin did not follow that plan.

So with the reported low quality of firearms safety on the set and Baldwin being one of the producers, Baldwin could be brought up on Involuntary Manslaughter charges for a couple of reasons.

Involuntary Manslaughter in NM, a Class 4 felony, carries a sentence of 1.5 years max.

Last Edited:
Seems like the last layer of safety was to do the frontal shot with the gun aimed at a slight angle away from the camera. So as not to bring the camera people under direct aim, although looking like a true frontal shot on film.
A senior prop master described this technique in a previous news report.
The un-coached, ill-prepared Baldwin did not follow that plan.

So with the reported low quality of firearms safety on the set and Baldwin being one of the producers, Baldwin could be brought up on Negligent Homicide charges for a couple of reasons.
Highly unlikely because the gun itself misfired. Alec had nothing to do with it…

Over 170 movies, many of them westerns, and zero dead...
https://truewestmagazine.com/john-wayne-and-the-peacemaker/
I was thinking the same thing. Likely the people involved in those westerns (both prop people and actors) had respect for guns imo.

For example John Wayne did a gun safety video for kids I think I saw at like 14 years old or something. I remember him on the video and the instructors in my gun safety class drilling over and over:

"Always assume a gun is loaded until u yourself check the chamber".

If the prop master, and or the director who handed him the gun, and/or Baldwin had followed the rules of firearm safety this accident never would have happened.

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews