Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Alder Lake Kokanee?

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by Blitzkrieg, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Pierce Cty, WA. Any advice/intel?

2. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

3. letrain

letrain toledo,wash Active Member

Watch out for stumps lol. Troll for kokanee is best bet. Always limit out with wedding ring. If not getting much action change colors.

Blitzkrieg likes this.
  4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Kokanee have very soft mouths. Make sure you put a rubber snubber on your line when trolling.
    Don't set the hook, just pick up the pole and start reeling.
    Great candidate for a smoker.

Caveman Jim, Ian1816 and Blitzkrieg like this.
  5. Blitzkrieg

Thanks guys.. I bought a bunch of wedding rings, do you add night crawler parts? Or? And is a treble or single hook best? I bought both..

6. letrain

letrain toledo,wash Active Member

Try everything? Everytime I've been there it seems you have to find what they want that day. Like changing the color, etc.

7. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

From what I've heard...White shoe peg corn, shrimp and/or krill oil will always be in the koke fishers arsenal. Kokanee are plankton and krill eaters from what I know.

Mike

salmonriverjohn and Ian1816 like this.
  8. Blitzkrieg

Gal shopping at Cabelas said shrimp worked for her. I'm also bringing salmon eggs..

9. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Kokanee school and like cold water.
    Fish finder may be useful to get in their midst.

Blitzkrieg likes this.
  10. jbett98

Finding the correct trolling speed is a must. Most folks troll to fast. You want a nice lazy rotation to the flashers, not a high speed blur.
    Troll North/South instead of East/West, that way the flashers are producing the maximum amount of color and light intensity as the day progresses.
    The flasher is an attractant. Think like a fish. It's just another Kokanee that is feeding above the fish below.
    When the Kokanee below sees the flasher giving off the same colors as a real Kokanee feeding, it will rise to the commotion and being opportunistic feeders, it will strike at the bait missed by what it thinks was another fish.
    I firmly believe in consulting the Solunar Tables originally conceived by John Allen Knight.
    It takes into account the gravity forces between the sun and the moon.
    Most people think that's it's a bunch of hokum, but it's proved it's worth to me time after time.
    If you study the Solunar tables, you will notice that not only will fish start feeding at the major bite times, birds will be also be on the wing feeding.
    You can look online for it, or in the Field & Stream magazine every other month.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  11. jbett98

If you get lucky and start catching some, keep hitting the same area at the same speed and direction.
    Make sure you get the fish into a cooler with lots of ice, as they have real delicate flesh and are prone to bruising when warm.

Caveman Jim and Blitzkrieg like this.
  12. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

I'm ready to go this week Blitz!!!

U201491 likes this.
  13. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Was a great fishing trip today Blitz. Windy and the first boat (three total) but found some protected areas that held some fish so we boated a 1/2 dozen out of a dozen or so bites!!!! Enjoyed the company too (net guy)...did I mention that Steve netted all the fish without a single miss? Outstanding!!!:)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    U201491 likes this.
  14. Blitzkrieg

Yeah, but Jim caught all 6 !!! I think he bribed those scaled critters...

salmonriverjohn likes this.