JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back to BIG BEARS...(who don't care what you are wearing). I lived/hunted on Kodiak Island for about 12 years, and I've seen some big Brown Bears. Like EVERY animal, they are individuals. Some are WAY tougher than others!

Whenever we were driving by the ADF&G office, and they had a head and hide in the parking lot, we'd stop to hear the story. There were some dandy stories too. Saw one that charged a local deer hunter who also had a bear tag, and when it stood up to get a better look at him, he poked it "right wear he ties his bowtie" with a .243 Winchester. Down and dead right there.

The best one (best story by far), was shot by a guy from Iowa. It had big holes all over! We knew the guide, and got to see the video later on. First shot was broadside at about 300 yards, and went down, and rolled down the hill, like he hit it in the head. They were celebrating, and the guide's assistant said, "you better shoot it again". It took a few seconds to get the camera back on it, but the video, it's coming up straight up the hill with the absolute meanest look, slobber, and all, and it's coming FAST. The client whopped it square in the chest and down he went again. Now it's about 100 yards away. They start to celebrate again, and Yep, up it gets and comes again. This time the client, and the assistant smack it, it turns broad side, and they both whack it again. It rolls once down the hill, and up it gets, and the rest of the video was of brush and grass sideways, as the client's buddy dropped the camera and picked up his rifle. I don't know what caliber or load everyone was shooting, but the client has shooting a 460 Weatherby, and the guide always had his old 375 Weatherby (it was the pre-378 caliber). I wish I could get a copy of that video. Was truly in incredible what a big tough bear could take. Stan (the guide) told us after they skinned it, they opened it up, and one lung was soup, and the other one was mangled, and the bottom of it's heart was gone, and one front shoulder was shattered. It was pre cell phone days, or I'd definitely have a picture of the hide. Amazing animals.

I could give a sh!t less what hunting clothes anybody wears and even less about your opinions of what I wear while hunting. I do care about respecting the prey and setting the example for future generations of hunting.

I remember years ago I was in Alaska on an island for work and the lodge where I was staying had no TV to watch (I shudder at the horror of that thought as I type) and was forced to read some books they had there. They were Alaska Bear Tales and More Alaska Bear Tales. My recollection is that there were many stories of bears being shot multiple times with very high caliber number rifles that hardly slowed them down. Post autopsy showed all indications that the bear should have been dead and apparently just wasn't informed of that fact. Others killed by single small caliber bullet like the .243 mentioned earlier. Proper amount of guns to bring? All you think you need plus 2 more…

So if you hit a bear at 400 ish yards, and it starts running toward you. Has it located you by the sound, the smell, sight, etc?

I'm just wondering how it knows which direction to run in to go kill those hunters?
"I'm just wondering how it knows which direction to run in to go kill those hunters?"
Meat seeking missile.....

A bit too much judgement in this discussion. I don't care what anyone wears, old school hunting clothes don't make anyone a better hunter than someone decked out in guccie gear but I have had old school partners have to quit early being soaked out. My Kuiu pants simply last and take a beating, I don't care what exact thread they are made from I bought them cause I wanted a hardcore pant that dries fast and they do.

We discovered the long range shot wasn't the issue with the bear story, it was a handloading mistake and a tricky one to discover before hand at that. Id be curious to hear an honest answer from all those in here that are critical to long range hunting what their longest shots are on big game. Be honest.
Mines about 300yds on 2 pronghorn. I'm guessing some of the regulars here have taken game much farther out than I have. I don't have a problem with any distance the hunter has practiced at successfully, as long as theyve practices sucessfully. I will be very judgemental on anyone taking pot shots at game but thats another subject.

stirrin the pot and running for cover... :p

6.5, 650yds, huge bull.

Last Edited:
I don't like to talk about my longest shot on big game because I'm deeply ashamed of it (even though it was ...by dumb luck... a one-shot kill).

I was 19 years old and there is nothing on the planet more stupid than a juvenile human male.

I take a jaundiced eye toward anyone proudly reciting the long range(s) of their shots on big game. Plenty of steel plate and paper to do that stuff with, and there are plenty more aspects to a hunt (as opposed to a shooting stunt) to be proud of.

Again: The animal deserves better from us.

A bit too much judgement in this discussion. I don't care what anyone wears, old school hunting clothes don't make anyone a better hunter than someone decked out in guccie gear but I have had old school partners have to quit early being soaked out. My Kuiu pants simply last and take a beating, I don't care what exact thread they are made from I bought them cause I wanted a hardcore pant that dries fast and they do.

We discovered the long range shot wasn't the issue with the bear story, it was a handloading mistake and a tricky one to discover before hand at that.
Just a point of clarification, you have decided the range was not the issue. I still contend if the distance had been cut in half, the 3 shots would have had a much better chance to be placed lethally and would have had more effect in killing that bear with the increased energy and associated trauma. My whole gripe with this outfit is their propensity to take marginal shots and put it on public display like it is somehow normal. If this had been a one off situation I might cut them some slack, but there is plenty of other instances on video, of them making marginal shot decisions. As Spitpatch says, the animals deserve better, and furthermore, future generations of hunters deserve better role models than the "Stuck in the rut" crew.

Last Edited:
I don't think there's a hard, set distance where a shot becomes unethical. A shot for someone at 50yds can have a lower probability of a clean kill than someone else at 500.

It's up to each of us to shoot within our abilities, no matter the distance. And nobody else can make that determination for anyone else.

Except for coyotes. I'll wing one at them as far as I can see them.

We discovered the long range shot wasn't the issue with the bear story, it was a handloading mistake and a tricky one to discover before hand at that.
What we know is that one of the rounds blew a primer (that caused a mechanical malfunction when it came out). Yes, there was an issue with THAT cartridge. Likely an issue with all the cartridges, but we don't know that. (And if all loaded identically...possibly a safe load at home, but not in that hunting environment.)

Also likely those bullets were (with such a high-pressure load) traveling plenty fast. I don't see where we rule out long range as a significant contributing factor to the debacle.

But the single most important error I watched in this obscene and sickening video was the decision to take the first shot before the Bear presented himself fully.

The first shot has to be nothing less than the very best effort. This shooter obviously lacks the experience to know that hard fact.

I don't think there's a hard, set distance where a shot becomes unethical. A shot for someone at 50yds can have a lower probability of a clean kill than someone else at 500.

It's up to each of us to shoot within our abilities, no matter the distance. And nobody else can make that determination for anyone else.

Except for coyotes. I'll wing one at them as far as I can see them.
Agree with this, except for the wing shot part. I have no issues culling coyotes but not a fan of wounding game intentiinally. Make it a confident kill shot or pass.

----

As far as whats too far, weve already pointed out here "it depends". Thats the thing here, its subjective based on many factors. Ive heard too many stories of lost game with shots inside 100yds.

The bear hunters had "enough rifle" and the skill to place the bullet at that range. Could it have been more terminal at closer range, the same exact shot path? Im not seeing much difference but its possible.
I do agree that whenever possible hunters should strive to make the most efficient shot, stalk closer etc. Or pass. Those points i agree with too.

I am not sure how many AK Guides do coastal Brown bear hunts, but if you asked 100 of them if they would have taken that shot in the first vid, I bet 99 of them would say no way. Even though it turned out better and the shot was much closer, I find the shot in the second vid I posted even sketchier.

I don't like to talk about my longest shot on big game because I'm deeply ashamed of it (even though it was ...by dumb luck... a one-shot kill).

I was 19 years old and there is nothing on the planet more stupid than a juvenile human male.
Don't be too hard on yourself. I was only 12 when I did something similar (it took more than one shot, but dead nonetheless), but it was my Dad's call and he was well over 19. It wasn't so much stupidity as wanting VERY BADLY for his son to get a buck.

One thing is for sure though. I wasn't wearing Kuiu or Sitka when I shot him. :s0084: :s0084: :s0084: :s0140::s0140::s0140:

Oh, c'mon guys. It was a JOKE. :p I was probably wearing a red plaid Pendleton coat. I was always wet in that thing. If it wasn't raining, I was sweating. It was the one expensive piece of clothing I owned at the time. It's not like we were trailer park trash - we couldn't afford to live in the trailer park, so we parked our trailer on my grandparents' property. :D

Nowadays, with FacePlant, Youtube, Twitter, etc, it seems like there are more of these "I Am Great Hunter" tales coming out.
Maybe they are just more visible now ?
People are simply using these services to document their memories. Its also a great way to share your memories with family.

I've never been a big fan of this family but they are definitely not the worst I've seen when it comes to this stuff. I saw a video where I think one of the brothers killed 2 wolves with his bow while elk hunting in idaho and a whole pack came in and another where the sister shot a grizz with her bow DIY, was a clean kill IIRC

The muley freak and fierce guys are pretty bad

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads