JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The question was asked : What range is too far..?

Depends on :
The game hunted..
Area hunted in / terrain features...
Backstop....
Loading used...
Projectile design....
Sights / firearm....
Skill of the shooter...
Weather...
Light conditions...
Time of day....

Something to consider here ( And yes I have said this many times )
Shooting of a bench at a rifle range is not the same as a hunting shot , under hunting conditions.
One can be great off the bench...but a horrible field shot.

In any event....
Hunting should not be about look at how far I shot this animal...or at this animal.
Andy

Last Edited:
If the answer is "it depends" then we cant judge others for taking too long of a shot. Ive heard too many stories from old timers of elk "needing" 5 or 6 shots with a 30-06... at 100yds or less.

IMO a "long shot" is anything farther than MPBR zero but that doesnt mean one isnt experienced enough to make the shot. In the two videos Osprey cited all the shots were on target and within the terminal velocity of the caliber.

If the answer is "it depends" then we cant judge others for taking too long of a shot. Ive heard too many stories from old timers of elk "needing" 5 or 6 shots with a 30-06... at 100yds or less.

IMO a "long shot" is anything farther than MPBR zero but that doesnt mean one isnt experienced enough to make the shot. In the two videos Osprey cited all the shots were on target and within the terminal velocity of the caliber.
That was my answer...
And I will judge or even damn 'em...
If they knowingly took a shot that was beyond their skill at taking a hunting shot.

Yes I feel strongly about this matter....:D
Andy

Skimmed the video in places so maybe I missed it but I didn't hear where they harvested anything other than the hide and skull. Is that standard practice for a brown bear?
Yes, it is standard practice. If you have ever taken a bite from a bear that has gorged for weeks on dead salmon, dead whale, or winter killed carrion, you will understand why.

Alaska State Police are fanatical about making sure meat does not get wasted in the field. I have seen them literally land Super Cubs in the bush and then hike miles to check out moose and caribou kills they spot from the air. If they find so much as rib meat left at the kill site, they will make every effort to track you down and cite you. With brown bears....that is not the case and it is legal to leave the carcass.

-E-

with 2 shots in the vitals then this is just one tough bear. They listed their errors including long range shooting but the real reason they got in trouble was stated by the other guy that explained their over pressure handload blew a primer that fell into the action jamming the cycling of the next round. If that didnt happen they would have landed more rifle shots on the bear before it reached them. It sounds like long range shooting wasnt the factor.
Yeah they had a load made for different conditions probably made during the summer at max pressure witch under the conditions they where in, it blew the primer out on there reloads thus getting stuck in the action. One is none two is one, if it can happen it will happen.
The bullet they used has a great track record and has been proven to work.

So if you hit a bear at 400 ish yards, and it starts running toward you. Has it located you by the sound, the smell, sight, etc?

I'm just wondering how it knows which direction to run in to go kill those hunters?
They yelled at the bear before they shot it to get it to stand up. I would use a suppressor so the bear has a harder time pin pointing you from sound.

Since this occurred, there is a new trend in brown bear hunting. No, not tree stands.
Jetpacks.

Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 1.08.57 AM.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR