JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
These two are very lucky they weren't seriously injured. I think it is pretty irresponsible to shoot at a big brown bear like this at such a long range. I know you need a guide to hunt Brown Bears as a non resident but I think the girl was his sister who was an Ak resident which probably allowed him to hunt without a guide. I doubt any guide would have allowed him to shoot that far and for good reason.

I get a kick out how they always wisper at the camera when they say the bear is 3 miles out...

(havent got to the long shot yet)

So it looks like their first shot was 475yds with a 338 Ultra Mag. The claim a total of 3 hits in it all in the vitals when the rifle jammed permanently, it just kept coming at them and attacked, they finished it with 4 pistol shots.

My thoughts are those three shots would have been fatal at a reasonable range. I would hate to have to put my life in the hands of a taurus.

My thoughts are they didnt hit the vitals like they claim.
a 338 Ultra Mag would have enough velocity out to 500yds to take a large griz?
Yep, too much room for error at that range. The rifle was certainly capable but the shooter was not. I will give him props for holding his mud and getting it done at short range with the pistol though.

Yep, too much room for error at that range. The rifle was certainly capable but the shooter was not. I will give him props for holding his mud and getting it done at short range with the pistol though.
Long range hunting is an increasing trend these days. My guess is the conditions which they zeroed at were not the same as the hunt location... temp, humidity, altitude.

I wasnt there, but if they truly hit vitals I dont see how a bear could travel over 400 yds with a double lung shot.

I was just wondering the same thing.
338 Ultra Mag sounds really big and powerful...
but when I looked up a Federal load example I see at 500yds the velocity is only 1968fps... thats close to the edge of terminal velocity for most bullets.

If the bullet didnt expand proper, would it still penetrage thru? Those bears are pretty big and solid....

210g Nosler Partition at 500yds: Vel: 1968fps, Energy 1805flbs and 40" drop.

Video does answer many of your questions posted above. The bullets used were 225 grain Accubonds in the 338 UltraMag. 360 grain Buffalo Bore self defense rounds in the 454 Casull (took 4 shots to finally kill this bear). Skinned bear showed 2 shots in vitals and 3rd shot high neck just missing the spine. If you fast forward to 45:30 they call out a lot of their errors with lesson listed which make great points.

Skinned bear showed 2 shots in vitals and 3rd shot high neck just missing the spine. If you fast forward to 45:30 they call out a lot of their errors with lesson listed which make great points.
with 2 shots in the vitals then this is just one tough bear. They listed their errors including long range shooting but the real reason they got in trouble was stated by the other guy that explained their over pressure handload blew a primer that fell into the action jamming the cycling of the next round. If that didnt happen they would have landed more rifle shots on the bear before it reached them. It sounds like long range shooting wasnt the factor.

They listed their errors including long range shooting but the real reason they got in trouble was stated by the other guy that explained their over pressure handload blew a primer that fell into the action jamming the cycling of the next round
Yeah, not too sure about this one. He said the powder charge was less than max load based on powder choice but the velocity of the round indicated it to be over pressure. Not sure if they tested a different round afterwards or knew what it was ahead of time. I'd imagine they would know the velocities before hand to know trajectory path for holdover/scope adjustments. I've never correlated velocity measured against something to determine over pressure potential. I'd assume the round was safe if following the recommendations of the powder manufacturer or reliable reloading information books (unless of course there was bullet setback due to recoil causing an increase in pressure or maybe temperature effects on powder detonation). There's always the possibility of a badly charged round, either due to handloading error or factory ammo charge error (I know this can happen as I was next to a buddy who had a factory round, granted it was TulAmmo, blow the back of the cartridge off the case from the rim back in 308 - fortunately nobody or rifle wasn't damaged).
Definitely reinforces the idea of having more than just 1 boom stick available for dangerous hunts!

Yeah, not too sure about this one. He said the powder charge was less than max load based on powder choice but the velocity of the round indicated it to be over pressure.
I can only guess to the cause but we do know they blew a primer.... whatever they did it was overpressure.

These two are very lucky they weren't seriously injured.
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 12.34.14 AM.png

So if you hit a bear at 400 ish yards, and it starts running toward you. Has it located you by the sound, the smell, sight, etc?

I'm just wondering how it knows which direction to run in to go kill those hunters?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top