Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Alaska

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by speeddemon94, Feb 20, 2013.

1. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

So over the course of the last few days, the appeal of Alaska is growing. I had intended to go back to Medford, once done with school here in Portland, but I think north is better. Since I am retired Army, I have a steady income, which I could supplement with income from doing anything....Plus the wife can work.

So, Opinions? What do folks know about relocating up there?

2. Don H

Don H Oregon Well-Known Member

It's a lot colder up there and has much more bugs in the summer than Medford but if you can handle that, it sure sounds great. You should really go up there in the summer and winter for a few months before making up your mind.

Great show about homesteading in Alaska: Alaska: The Last Frontier.

3. speeddemon94

I am always cautious about reality TV...That one seems young enough to not have a script yet. I'm okay with bugs...I retired out of FT Polk, LA! Cold is okay too, at least it just decides to snow. Fairbanks seems to be about my speed and I found a place with acreage that we can afford. I may actually do some gunsmithing up there, or open up my brew pub.

Dunno, I like the no sales or income tax, not to mention the lack of people.

Angie and (deleted member) like this.
  4. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

I love Alaska!
    I am kicking my self in the but for leaving... Thinking I might return again soon.
    My family left Medford area when I was 13 and off to Alaska I went. Lived there for about 25 or so years. I have seen that state from one end to the other. Spent time on the north slope, been up and down the western coast. down though parts of the aleutian chain. I have lived across south central and down through the Panhandle. Folks used to live up in Tok so spent quite a bit of time up there. Our hunting grounds were up near Chicken Alaska as well as over in the Tangle lakes area.
    Do not go to Los-Anchorage!!
    What would you like to know about Alaska?
    Fairbanks is Alright.. Dang Cold! I prefer the southern areas myself.

5. speeddemon94

Well, I want to be in a large enough city/town, that there is opportunity. My wife is quite young, so school or other gainful employment for her is important. I get paid every month regardless, but I would like enough people around to supplement my own income. Fairbanks is 32,000 or so, which was about the population of Medford when I was a kid, and it was a nice place to live. I don't like humidity so Juneau loses out there. One of the houses we found was in Tok.

I guess the main thing is how tough will it be...Cold is no problem, and the wife got excited and jumped right on board. So Passports to drive through Canada with a truck and the cars, Have my mom ship my guns when I get there...I know I'm missing stuff. The move will likely happen this August/September so weather should still be okay.

Will we be welcomed or have to work to gain acceptance? How friendly are the people?

6. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Cousins who have lived up there say that if you can make it through the first winter, the Alaskan spring will make you want to stay....

They mostly lived in towns, not out in the bush, so were able to get what they needed from the stores...(well, one ran a store)...

Great place to go, and was tempted when I first retired...but life got in the way. Good luck.

7. dolooper

dolooper Coast Range, or thereabouts Well-Known Member

You'll be ribbed for a while for being a newbie, but in a gentle way.

If there's specific employment you're looking for, that might be an issue. But most anyone who is a hard worker and willing to get their hands dirty can find something to do to keep the fridge stocked and the lights on. If you're looking to live somewhere with educational opportunities your options are pretty limited to the larger cities.

If you're looking Fairbanks/Tok, anything in the interior, cold winters and warm summers will be an issue. Anything coastal and especially southcentral will be a lot more moderate in both winter and summer.

For me, it wasn't the cold, it was the darkness. It can get to you after a decade or two. :) If that's the case, I'd definetely stay away from north of the arctic circle for permanent residence. My brother lived in Barrow for 4 years. He's batbubblegum crazy and I'm making no claims as to cause and effect. :)

8. dolooper

One other thing. Think of living in Alaska as the equivalent of owning a pickup truck when it comes to vacations. You know how when you own a pickup truck everyone wants your help moving? It'll be the same when you live in Alaska and your friends' and family's vacations. Your summers will be filled with requests to play host. Just beware of that.

9. speeddemon94

That's okay... I like my family and hers, and my friends wouldn't be my friends if I didn't want them around!

10. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Well, if you can afford it, avoid all the cities. Anchorage and Fairbanks both make the most drugged out parts of Oregon look safe and sane. There are certainly nice parts of each, but after several seasons of working midway between Anchorage and Fairbanks, I have determined that if I ever lived up there, it would probably be somewhere from Healy south to Trapper Creek/Talkeetna. Close enough to shop in cities, far enough away to avoid the crap.

11. gehrheart

The darkness is what got me.
    Tok is SMALL! Folks live about 15 miles out, used to use the sleds to go into town and get food, check the mail and so on. Most of the winter was spent on the sleds far more then riding in the cars.
    Alaska is pretty friendly for the most part. Anchorage not so much, but that isn't really Alaska.
    You'll get ribbed a little at first for sure, but not in a bad way. Be called a Cheechako :)
    There are lots of gun stores!! Lots!

Keep in mind there really isnt such things as ground freight to Alaska.. Shipping anything there is pricey! Your long guns can go through Canada. Make sure you have Ser# and be sure to declare it all at the Border (read up on this as I haven't done that in a couple years). DO NOT take any handguns!!

Squarebanks (AKA Fairbanks) or Tok or anything in that area will have large populations of the Alaska "state bird" also know as the mosquito. They are large. I have seen huge black clouds of them flying across the tundra.. no joke on that!

12. gehrheart

Oh if I go back..

Homer or Seward. Possible somewhere around Kenei.

unless I have a lot more money and a job was not really required... then I would be in Seldovia!!!!! What a cool place!!

Seldovia.com

13. dolooper

Yeah, I was thinking across the bay from Homer. Family friends have a place in Seldovia.

Out East End road from Homer has potential too. Friend has a quarter section out there.

14. speeddemon94

My big concern is my guns...Can My mom ship them all to me, hand guns and all?

15. Black Dog

Black Dog Eagle Creek Or Active Member

They can be shipped but they will have to go through FFL's. Good luck on the 4 hours of very DIM DAY LIGHT in winter!

16. gehrheart

Drive up with the rifles...
    Or.. catch the ferry out of bellingham and go straight to seward and take all your guns with you.!!

I belive you can ship your guns to yourself.. dont have to go through a FFL.. can be wrong on that so check into it.

17. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Sitka is nice, winter temps don't go below 40 because of location. I love it there. Awesome fishing and hunting and great to relax. That's where I would go if I could.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

18. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Do not send guns to yourself.
    Have to go through FFL. Work out a deal with FFL.

The best advice I can give though is don't listen to people on the internet about laws and that includes me as well.

The ATF has an excellent site that will answer all your questions from the people that enforce them. That is your best bet to not getting in trouble.......

Please go to them for all of your concerns.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

19. gehrheart

Sitka is an awesome place!!

Truely a great place!

20. VancouverKid

VancouverKid Vancouver Member

I smell thinly veiled brags itt.. :laugh: :cool:

gehrheart and (deleted member) like this.