JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A girl!!!!

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – A woman opened fire during a biology faculty meeting at the University of Alabama's Huntsville campus Friday, killing three faculty members and injuring two other faculty members and a staff member.

The shooter was in custody, but university spokesman Ray Garner said he could not identify her or the victims. Local television stations reported she is a faculty member.

No students were involved in the shooting.

Huntsville Hospital spokesman Burr Ingram said two of the injured were in critical condition and the third was in stable condition.

Sophomore Erin Johnson told The Huntsville Times a biology faculty meeting was under way when she heard screams coming from the room.

The shooting happened in the university's Shelby Center, a science building. University police secured the building and students were cleared from it.

The Huntsville campus has about 7,500 students in northern Alabama, not far from the Tennessee line.

The university posted a message on its Web site Friday afternoon telling students the campus was closed Friday night and all students were encouraged to go home. Counselors were available to speak with students.

Garner said the campus was closed while police gathered evidence. He said at a news conference that the shooting was not unlike one the area experienced a week ago, when a 14-year-old student was shot to death in a middle school hallway, allegedly by a fellow student.

"This town is unaccustomed to shootings and multiple deaths," he said.

What a joke, "Garner" the university representative says it's like when a student shot another student? What a piece of work. The only thing that is similar is that there was a gun involved.

Unaccustomed to shootings??? I lived in Huntsville for several years. There were shootings almost daily. You did not want to be walking after dark in several areas of town. I guess those did not count since the were on the wrong end of Memorial Parkway. :cool:

Other reports are that the suspect was a teacher that was denied tenure. She then went postal on the other faculty members present at the tenure meeting.

Anybody know what gun she used?

One that fired bullets....seriously though we probably will never know. She could have had a .38SPC S&W Revolver for all we know....but the media will report it as a TEC-9 or an AK-47.

Original reports of the Virgina Tec shooter were that of a "high-powered assault rifle" when he just had a Glock 17 and a Walther P-22.

On a side note, I was talking to an (unarmed) campus public safety officer tonight, and he told me he has no problem at all with licensed students and teachers carrying on campus - he'd enforce the university policy against it if he had to, I think, but definitely thinks it should be changed.

It's always nice to talk to someone sensible...

Yep MD, PHd...either way, taken along with her sex, it really breaks the stereotype attached to these shootings.

My bad - it appears that she was a neurobiologist, PHD teacher. Still, what a waste.

Education :
Ph.D. in Genetics awarded by Harvard University, Department of Genetics, Division of Medical Sciences.

Previous Position :
Instructor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.

Link

Like I said I can see why she was denied tenure!! She is psycho!! CRAZY FREAKIN CRAZY! Out of control! Check this link!
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/police_chief_says_uah_shooting.html

Perhaps a sociopath, like most cold-blooded killers... Not enough evidence out there yet to call her mentally ill/crazy.

I believe that the mentally ill, even when they do bad things, deserve our sympathy. Sociopaths are a different story entirely... for them, nothing more than due process of law and a cell to rot in.

I still believe in evil as opposed to mentally ill. I believe this woman is evil.

The legal test for "guilty but insane" is so rigid that few killers ever successfully plea that. Some would say that all killers are insane but even our law doesn't believe that.

lol lawyer talk. That is cool... I know the definitions too... Crazy will fall under this all day long! Just depends on what you want to define crazy as. Somebody makes up what we have to follow for the meaning for everything but still there is diverse meaning thankfully ;) I say this chick is FREAKIN' CRAZY!! lol!! When you don't know what to expect... When you have out of the ordinary... When you have unusual... Oddball... Senseless... Unbalanced... yeah I think she falls under that! As already said "nutjob" I will go with that too!

"Criminally insane" means the person was completely unable to know the difference between right and wrong.

You, for instance, are "criminally insane." :D

"Crazy, "nuts," "unbalanced," "freakin' crazy," all fall under a different category.

There is NO diversity of meaning in court for "criminally insane."

Criminally insane: "A defense asserted by an accused in a criminal prosecution to avoid liability for the commission of a crime because, at the time of the crime, the person did not appreciate the nature or quality or wrongfulness of the acts.

The insanity defense is used by criminal defendants. The most common variation is cognitive insanity. Under the test for cognitive insanity, a defendant must have been so impaired by a mental disease or defect at the time of the act that he or she did not know the nature or quality of the act, or, if the defendant did know the nature or quality of the act, he or she did not know that the act was wrong. The vast majority of states allow criminal defendants to invoke the cognitive insanity defense." Link

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top