JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Our Dear Leader is discussing his comments on the "decimation" of Al Qaeda. At no point does anyone ever bring up what decimate means. Decimate means to lessen their numbers by 10%. That is all fine and well, but if the general public knew that we were talking about a 10% reduction in Al Qaeda, they wouldn't be so comfortable with our situation. Instead, "decimated" is being thrown around to mean "destroyed" or "in ruins".

If there were 100,000 of them and now only 90,000, that is not a very relaxing reduction, is it? The way "decimate" was used, you would think that about 25% of the former Al Qaeda remains. I view this as intentionally misleading, though it says a lot that most Americans don't know the definition of decimate.

Considering the source one has to wonder if he or the speech writer know the actual meaning of decimate. I know that most of the news articles tend to use decimate in place of destroyed, probably as a "kinder, gentler" and more PC way to say it so as not to scare people :s0112:

From common use you would think that decimate means reduced to 10% of its original status instead of reduced by 10% to 90%.

Since hardly one in 100 people grasps the difference between "decimate" and "devastate," I don't think it really matters.

What does, I think matter, is that in the couple of weeks after gun control has died an inglorious death in most of the country and been DESTROYED by the excellent pro-gun press and private advocates, and just on the heels of Zimmerman going away as an issue anyone gives a rip about, bust most importantly the recent (to those who weren't already paying attention) NSA domestic spying scandal (which sorry guys, makes Benghazi and Fast and Furious PALE in comparison), that now they're announcing a new reason for us all to be terrified of the Muzzies and GLAD the NSA spying program is there to pick up on "chatter."

It's bait and switch, big time. This isn't an administration, it's a presidential-level propaganda ministry. I take back everything I ever said nice about Obama. I was wrong. At best he's a naive incompetent. At worst, he's a freakin evil genius. Probably somewhere in between.

Our Dear Leader is discussing his comments on the "decimation" of Al Qaeda. At no point does anyone ever bring up what decimate means. Decimate means to lessen their numbers by 10%. That is all fine and well, but if the general public knew that we were talking about a 10% reduction in Al Qaeda, they wouldn't be so comfortable with our situation. Instead, "decimated" is being thrown around to mean "destroyed" or "in ruins".

If there were 100,000 of them and now only 90,000, that is not a very relaxing reduction, is it? The way "decimate" was used, you would think that about 25% of the former Al Qaeda remains. I view this as intentionally misleading, though it says a lot that most Americans don't know the definition of decimate.

I actually think if called on this Obama or Carney would say he meant it in the strict Romanic usage, but most people, even a military historian/ vet like myself think of the common usage, in other words far more than 1 in 10.
From an online dictionary:
This is the common usage, very few people know the origin of the term:
dec·i·mate (ds-mt)
tr.v. dec·i·mat·ed, dec·i·mat·ing, dec·i·mates
1. To destroy or kill a large part of (a group).
2. Usage Problem
a. To inflict great destruction or damage on: The fawns decimated my rose bushes.
b. To reduce markedly in amount: a profligate heir who decimated his trust fund.
3. To select by lot and kill one in every ten of.

Brutus Out

Since hardly one in 100 people grasps the difference between "decimate" and "devastate," I don't think it really matters.

What does, I think matter, is that in the couple of weeks after gun control has died an inglorious death in most of the country and been DESTROYED by the excellent pro-gun press and private advocates, and just on the heels of Zimmerman going away as an issue anyone gives a rip about, bust most importantly the recent (to those who weren't already paying attention) NSA domestic spying scandal (which sorry guys, makes Benghazi and Fast and Furious PALE in comparison), that now they're announcing a new reason for us all to be terrified of the Muzzies and GLAD the NSA spying program is there to pick up on "chatter."

It's bait and switch, big time. This isn't an administration, it's a presidential-level propaganda ministry. I take back everything I ever said nice about Obama. I was wrong. At best he's a naive incompetent. At worst, he's a freakin evil genius. Probably somewhere in between.

I agree with every single word. I was guilty of defending Bush to a fault. It was hard to come out and call him a piece of bubblegum, but what do you know? A spade is in fact a spade. I'm glad that I never fell into Obama's crap.

I don't mind seeing individual idiots with their heads stuck in the sand. They dig their own holes.

But then there's this career politician, Barrack Obama. The fact that he will always live in safe, secure luxury while our bent over *sses stick up in the air due to his calculating, layers-deep duplicity bothers me a LOT. He is a dangerous agenda-driven opportunist who doesn't care if Al Qaeda kills your entire family as long as the libs buy his jive this year (and books next year).

So embassies are evacuated globally because Al Qaeda is in a frail shambles as he would have us believe? Buffalo dust!

Just like a dysfunctional "health plan" that will shackle private care and rob us all, the IRS, Fast and Furious, porous borders mutiplying the liberal vote exponentially, payoffs for pet industries that he knows will fail, etc., etc., etc. Where were his autonomous presidential drones when Americans were slaughtered during an 8+ hour attack in Ben Ghazi? Or while our next president Hilary was lying to the world on TV?

Mere co-incidence that Al-Queda is decimated and international US Gov installations are on red alert.
Co-incidentally, my birthday is arriving, dock 60, thunderstorms scheduled over most of Oregon this weekend.
Hope all you homies and Bros and Ese get some moisture on the hills.
And since the topic is the ever changing dictionary, anyone recall the old definition of "meek"?

No, "Bush Jr." is the only president who did anything for RKBA.

1) Signed law to protect gun manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits.
2) Made John Bolton as ambassador to the United Nations, who repeatedly slapped down the UN twerps who tried to make gun control an UN issue.
3) Appointed Roberts and Alito, who made the deciding votes on both Heller McDonald (I'm guessing you don't know what they are).

Can your president do this ?

Anyone should have got the memo long ago that America's enemies and the ones capable of bringing this country to its knees are right here doing the bidding of the Oligarch global banking elite (inc puppet presidents).

The real terrorists wear $3k suits, they don't hid in caves and wear turbans, clutching an AK for a photo shoot.

Some glorified bad guys 7450 miles away just trying to fight off an invading army (like you would be doing, say if the Chinese were invading your town), are no threat to you or your inflated, debt bubble lifestyle. They could care a less about your fake 'freedoms.'

Their purpose is only as fabricated boogie men to enable tyranny here and abroad. The myth makes it possible for your wife and kid to be fondled at the airport.

We love our manufactured bad guys. We are very simple minded and easy to deceive and manipulate. Goat herders and cab drivers, oh my! Scared to death I tell you. Better get them over there before they come over here and try and take my 70" LED TV away or key my car. Government, please save us! Since the same, BS scare/staged tactics are now being used to destroy the 2A, you'd think someone would wake up?! Maybe not.

heres-why-the-war-wont-end-SH.gif

productimage-picture-oh-boo-hoo-im-sooo-scared-648.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
As time has gone on, I have come to believe Muslims are being used as boogeymen. If some other nation's soldiers occupied our country, wouldn't you gather your comrades and take some pot shots at them wherever they're currently traveling to, or have set up camp? I know I would regardless of whether or not they have drones in our skies! We have no legitimate business being in the Middle East. Osama is dead. So is Saddam. Why are we still in Iraq and Afghanistan? If those people want to be free, leave them be and let them fight for it. If they choose something else, fine. This whole load of BS has nothing to do with fighting for anybody's freedom, especially fellow Americans' freedom(s).

Uh.....we aren't in Iraq anymore. We are all but gone from AFG too. But we aren't completely leaving there anytime soon and it has NOTHING to do with the Taliban or al Qaeda. Hint: take a look at a map.

I do agree with obummer in that al Qaeda has been decimated. But it's also irrelevant. The problem is al Qaeda isn't a military organization and we will always be "fighting" them. It does next to no good killing their individual leaders and/or members, but how else do we "fight" them?

How much of a threat do they actually pose to the average American or ally is anyone's guess. As Burt pointed out most people are to involved in their big screen TV's, the Kardashians and facebook to get their heads out of the sand to take a look around. If they did then obummer wouldn't have been elected in the first place, let alone reelected.

Oh and obummer is not inept. Carter was inept. Obummer knows exactly what he's doing. He has no love for this country as it was founded and has set out to change it. Even more scary and what makes him so dangerous is he is the most effective president since FDR.

Uh.....we aren't in Iraq anymore. We are all but gone from AFG too. But we aren't completely leaving there anytime soon and it has NOTHING to do with the Taliban or al Qaeda. Hint: take a look at a map.

I do agree with obummer in that al Qaeda has been decimated. But it's also irrelevant. The problem is al Qaeda isn't a military organization and we will always be "fighting" them. It does next to no good killing their individual leaders and/or members, but how else do we "fight" them?

How much of a threat do they actually pose to the average American or ally is anyone's guess. As Burt pointed out most people are to involved in their big screen TV's, the Kardashians and facebook to get their heads out of the sand to take a look around. If they did then obummer wouldn't have been elected in the first place, let alone reelected.

Oh and obummer is not inept. Carter was inept. Obummer knows exactly what he's doing. He has no love for this country as it was founded and has set out to change it. Even more scary and what makes him so dangerous is he is the most effective president since FDR.

You do agree that Al Qaeda has been decimated? So, to be clear, you do agree that 10% of Al Qaeda is gone? Startling numbers. What about the other 90%? I have an idea on "how to fight them". Go home. Go home and defend America. The lies about "defending us abroad" have gone too far. As Cuthbert pointed out, Osama, Saddam, Qadafi and so many others are dead. But now we are going to guide them to democracy. Free elections in the Middle East don't produce the leaders we want, so we can't get out.

By the way, a lot of people should pick up a book or two. Carter lost a second term because he actually wanted to be fiscally conservative. It wasn't a popular move(though it would seem the right one) and cost him the job. Instead, all we hear about are murderous lake rabbits and Billy Beer.

My point of this thread was to point out the use of terms like "decimate" that are used to convey total destruction, but actually mean a 10% reduction. It fits right in with all the other deflection(For example: "Let me make sure I am answering your question directly" is what O said about one of the phony scandals a month or two ago. He then went on to not at all answer the question, definitely not directly.) and bullbubblegum tactics.

I actually think if called on this Obama or Carney would say he meant it in the strict Romanic usage, but most people, even a military historian/ vet like myself think of the common usage, in other words far more than 1 in 10.
From an online dictionary:
This is the common usage, very few people know the origin of the term:
dec·i·mate (ds-mt)
tr.v. dec·i·mat·ed, dec·i·mat·ing, dec·i·mates
1. To destroy or kill a large part of (a group).
2. Usage Problem
a. To inflict great destruction or damage on: The fawns decimated my rose bushes.
b. To reduce markedly in amount: a profligate heir who decimated his trust fund.
3. To select by lot and kill one in every ten of.

Brutus Out

Wow. Rather than correct people and have them speak correctly, we just change the dictionary! I wonder when they will change the meaning of "racist" to mean "white person"?

You do agree that Al Qaeda has been decimated? So, to be clear, you do agree that 10% of Al Qaeda is gone? Startling numbers. What about the other 90%?

Semantics. Call it whatever you want. No thanks to this president the fact is al Qaeda has been put in the hurt locker or whatever YOU want to call it. They have been killed to the point that they aren't what they once were such as when the CIA was arming them to fight the Soviets.

I have an idea on "how to fight them". Go home. Go home and defend America. The lies about "defending us abroad" have gone too far. As Cuthbert pointed out, Osama, Saddam, Qadafi and so many others are dead. But now we are going to guide them to democracy. Free elections in the Middle East don't produce the leaders we want, so we can't get out.

Wish I could agree on just throwing up our hands, declaring victory and coming home. But it's not that simple. There are no easy answers.

I do agree that democracy will never work in the middle east. Their religion won't permit it. The closest thing to a democracy in the middle east (besides Israel) is Turkey, and they haven't been to stable lately and are headed more to sharia law.

There is nothing worth fighting over in AFG, and there is nothing more to be gained there. But it would not be in our best interests to become isolationist either. A power vacuum would be created that would soon be filled by Russia and/or China. A lot of people should pick up a book on this. Isolatioinism gave rise to Nazi Germany. And we all know how that ended.

By the way, a lot of people should pick up a book or two. Carter lost a second term because he actually wanted to be fiscally conservative. It wasn't a popular move(though it would seem the right one) and cost him the job. Instead, all we hear about are murderous lake rabbits and Billy Beer.

I remember Billy Beer, but not the "murderous lake rabbits". That's a new one on me. I do remember the "misery index", the double digit inflation and the Iranian Hostage Crisis. Regarding fiscal policy, Carter serves as nothing more than an example of the futility of a democrat at being fiscally conservative.

Oh and I remember the Soviet invasion and occupation of Afghanistan too. Prior to that Afghanistan was relatively stable, but what did Carter do? He strenuously objected and boycotted the Olympics. He sure had the Soviets quaking in their boots! This gave rise to the Mujahedeen which gave rise to al Qaeda.

My point of this thread was to point out the use of terms like "decimate" that are used to convey total destruction, but actually mean a 10% reduction. It fits right in with all the other deflection(For example: "Let me make sure I am answering your question directly" is what O said about one of the phony scandals a month or two ago. He then went on to not at all answer the question, definitely not directly.) and bullbubblegum tactics.

Hopefully, enough people pull their heads out they will realize this president has no love for this country but I fear it may be to late by then.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top