Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AK47 sling? What is this?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by teflon97239, Dec 3, 2012.

1. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Yugo AK47 came with a bayonet, grease can, rustic looking cleaning parts, etc. It also included this well-used leather strap, 51" long and 1 1/8" wide. Doesn't seem relevant to the weapon, but I don't want to toss it if it is. Just junk thrown in the box?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

what is it.jpg

2. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

looks like a fat guys belt, LOL

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. davemata

davemata Spokane, WA Well-Known Member

If you're not using a sling, how do you expect to be consistently accurate? you should google for russian slings and see what comes up after some research.

4. teflon97239

Never said I wasn't using a sling. Maybe the other sling that came with it (green canvas with soft, quiet leather ends) is Chinese or Yugoslavian. Doesn't look like the leather one I found just now when I looked it up with the word Russian added in. That's what it is, so I guess I have a choice. Thanks.

5. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

even arsenal sgl's (russian) does not come with slings, but arsenal bulgarian does.

6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I've had one of those too, from a past purchase. The buckled end is obviously for adjusting the length somehow, with the leather going through the loop on the butt-stock, and the clip end hooks onto the gas-block loop... but for the life of me I couldn't work out how to thread it through the rifle loops since the ends are permanently riveted. Like you, I prefer the "modern" black or green slings with the quiet leather ends.

7. teflon97239

Stomper, after I saw this really is a (Russian) sling, was able to thread the clip by wiggling it through both buckle slots, sort of one side at a time. It works. Actually, I prefer primitive gadgetry, especially old beat up things made of leather and riveted metal. My daily rider motorcyle will be 40 soon, and my favorite weapons are older than that. But this Russian sling isn't going on my weapon because that metal clip would booger up the finish promptly! The olive drab canvas looks nice and rustic, too, kind of "budget old school," which seems to fit the rifle. So it stays.