Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ak47 receiver Q

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by caden08, Jun 15, 2010.

1. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

So I have been looking into buying an ak47 kit for some time now. My question is wether or not buying a full auto receiver requires alooooooong ATF background check or if I can order it threw my ffl like anyother long rifle. If it is a 6+ month wait I would just buy a semi auto receiver.
    Any input on this subject is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

2. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

1. I don't believe anyone made and registered blank, full auto AK receivers in the U.S. prior to May 19th, 1986 and;

2. If they had you couldn't purchase and transfer it to you as an individual living in the state of WA.

3. Your only option is a Semi-auto receiver. You might consider a No-Dak Spud.

SF-

3. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Or bend you own.....:thumbup:

4. Silver Fox

The little smiley face with the thumb means he was joking....:thumbup: please do not bend your own full auto receiver, it will cause the local news networks to blab about AK-15's and AR-47's. :rollingeyes:

SF

5. rdb241

SF...I wasn't implying he make his own FA receiver. To clarify....I meant bend your own semi receiver because we all know that Washington does not allow a private citizen to have any fun at all. Unless your fun is one squeeze for every round.

PSA.....for your own safety do not bend a FA receiver....................

6. Silver Fox

:laugh::bluelaugh::laugh::bluelaugh: I know I was giving you a bad time!

SF-

7. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

First off thanks for all the post! So my goal would be to find a pre 1986 receiver?:D I want a god hicapacity rifle for the zombies. So basicaly there is no leagal way for me to own an auto ak and my best bet is to buy an already milled and bent receiver? Now would I be better buying a parts kit or buying a new or referbished ak. I have heard that true romainian aks are best because they havt been chopped
    up and American parts back in? My ultimate goal would be keeping the rifle original. Is this possible? My buddy who's a cop said to find a full romanian is
    hard since they chop them up in customs and you would pay high for 1 off the grid. I'm not trying to break any laws just want to keep it's history intact.:)

8. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Firstly, to ease your mind a bit, all semi-auto AK style rifles in the United States are clones and are commercial fabrications only, albeit many with military parts and built on the same production lines as the actual military rifles. As far as I know the only AK type rifle currently in the country that is 100% military configuration is a Romanian PSL, which shoots 7.62x54r.

So, that said, your only choices for you to purchase a WA-legal, semi-auto foreign-built AK rifle with 100% original parts:

1.) Buy a 'pre-ban', ie pre 1989, rifle in any configuration. Preban Norinco or Polytech AKs, HK91s (for example) are fairly common preban rifles to be found, although pricey.

2.) Buy a rifle that has a maximum capacity of 10 rounds, ie something like a new Romanian PSL, any SKS with the original magazine still attached, or a WASR-10 that hasn't been converted to hi-capacity magazines.

(Edit: Anything newer than 1989, and you are bound by 922r restrictions, ie the rifle can have no more than 10 foreign-made parts. With a regular AK that has a removable muzzle brake, six US parts are required. The easiest parts to replace are the three trigger group parts, the forestock, buttstock and pistol grip, although other parts can be mix and matched as well. Sometimes only three firing group parts are replaced, as long as the shooter limits himself to US manufactured magazines, which count for the other three parts.)

If you are fairly new to these rifles, may I recommend purchasing a complete rifle as described above rather than build a kit?

Whatever your decision, learn to shoot your rifle well. Merely having high ammunition capacity or full auto mag dump capability will not make you an effective rifleman.

Best of luck to you.

Keith

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  9. trainsktg

Oh yeah, NHM-91s and MAK-90s are legal, post 1989, high-capacity semi-auto rifles that are of 100% foreign manufacture. They are unaffected by 922r restrictions as long as they are left in their original configurations...which means you are stuck with things like the butthole stocks.

Keith

10. candyman

candyman Scappoose, OR Active Member

alot of what was said is wrong so much so im not even going to try and correct it

this is all you need to know
    go buy a ak from your dealer now days its cheaper to buy one then to build it

most any ak will be a good one
    just stay away form ewbanks and wasr receivers

11. rdb241

Very well stated. You have explained things as accurate as you can get for this States stupid gun laws. And yes...spray and pray will not make you an accurate shot. If you know your weapon and have had several rounds down the tube....a semi auto double tap can be just as effective as a military tri burst. Practice makes perfect. If you don't practice, you will never know. Several years ago, at Albany Oregon, I was shooting a semi auto Steyr AUG using a double tap and had a person ask me if it was a full auto gun....NOT....if you are serious, you do not need full auto.

12. trainsktg

Thank you. Apparently the poster previous to you didn't think I was so well stated though :confused: .

Keith

13. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

thanks guys! I mainly wanted to build 1 because i feel more atached to the rifle. I have various semi-autos and would like to think im at least a half decent shot:D but i do hear what your saying. I will keep my eye out for a above stated pre-ban rifle. I just belive it brings you closer to the soul of the gun having to build it :). I have 2 sks's chines that I love 1 just bought and another I built. needless to say I enjoy the one i built more just cuz i spent alot of time buying parts and building it from the barrel up!

Again thank you for you voices its great to have NWFA here to help us!

14. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

caden08, you understand that you will not own a full auto AK............ right?

15. trainsktg

Oops, a brief update to my previous post. I did a bit more research last night and found a correction I need to mention. Apparently the Romanian PSLs as imported into this country aren't of 100% military configuration either. Although not produced as full auto rifles, the military issued versions apparently stiil have the infamous '3rd hole' receivers and are thus illegal for import into the US as is. So...in sum, unlike many SKSs, SVTs, Garands, Mosins, etc which were actually used in military combat by military forces and imported later into the US without changes, all semiauto AK type variants in the US are 'sporter' versions of true AKs (except for those legal Class 3 AKs and AKMs that were already in private hands prior to the 1986 law).

Keith

16. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

Sadly yes. Being a man with great expertice would you suggest I start from scratch or just buy 1? if buying is a good choice what would
    you suggest as a first ak? Have any instock:D

17. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

As stated previously you must buy a receiver that was on a form 4 previous to 1986.

Here is the big thing to consider, that form 4 transferable AK receiver will cost you $12,000 to $14,000 dollars. There is no way around this, there is no loophole, there is only cash.

Do you still want a Full Auto AK receiver at that price?

18. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Sorry trainsktg but I have to agree with Candyman.

19. trainsktg

Well if I've got two people saying so, please correct the mistakes. My ego can certainly handle it, and the last thing I need to do is spread wrong information.

I did correct the PSL mistake, but other than that I believe the 922r parts count information is 100% correct, as is my interpretation of all semi-auto AKs as being sporterized clones.

Keith

20. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Building one will be more expensive than buying one, and if you aren't experienced in riveting, it will look buggered up.

I have built several and my rivet skills still suck.

It seems with AKs that the more expensive it is, the better it is.

WASRs are the chaepest.
    Bulgarian are much more expensive, but they are waaaaay nicer.

I don't really care much for the Milled AKs, but I am weird like that. I like the folded ones.

If you could find a semi-auto Russian AK you would be the coolest AK kid on the block. It would be spendy though.
    Candyman could let you know what the coolest AKs are better than anyone.