JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hey guys, just picked up my first ak, a poly tech preban legend, got it cheap as it is not in perfect shape, barrel is in great shape but not so much the piston and somewhat the bolt, looks like pretty good pitting on the piston amd marks all over the bolt but not pitting, just wondering what my options are as far as fixing this, I have no idea about ak47's, I've always been an ar guy. I did shoot it and it shoots fine with no problems

Since it is just a cosmetic issue some options are

1. Leave it alone and call it AK patina.
2. Buy a new piston, they are less than $20. The tapco ones are like $5
3. try and refinish it. I'd leave the head of the piston alone, the shaft you could sand with progressively finer sandpapers and then polish with a polishing/buffing wheel

I would NOT change a thing. That rifle in that condition is very appealing to me regardless of who the previous abuser was. Please don't add any Tapco bubblegum on it.

There truly is nothing like an original condition WELL USED AKM.

That's pretty. I'm not an AK guy, but if i got one, i'd want it to look like that.

Though i'd probably clean it up some, i don't care if it looks cool all worn like that, it looks neglected and holds an interest on that basis, nothing more.

I'm an AK guy as much as I'm an AR guy. Can never make up my mind. If the zombie apocalypse happens I would have one of each on my back. But as others have mentioned, I would just keep it the way it is and maybe just clean it up a bit.

Ugly!

You don't want to be seen with that gun in public do you?

You should sell it. Cheep!
To me. :rolleyes:

OK. Had to try.
That is gona look just fine after you clean it. You should be proud. :s0155:

And when you do sell it. I bet the buyer would be happier with the original parts.
Rather than shiny new non original ones.

Yeah, probably gonna keep this one, it was my cousins and she sold it to me to keep in the family, not sure on the value of this thing anyways, at least in the condition it's in now, not gonna change anything on it as it works perfect now and want all the matching serial numbers on it

Something came up so might not have a choice but to sell it soon, i will ask my cousin if she wants it back first but anyone have an idea of the value?

Last Edited:
Milled polytechs fetch one heck of a premium. I'd bet you could sell that rifle pretty quick for somewhere between 1000-1500$ depending on what comes with it and no way I'd change parts. Lots of info about polyteks online, try akfiles or gunbroker

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top