JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been doing a little research online about AK47s. This gun is totally new to me, but I have been debating picking one up just to have one on hand and occasionally play with. Now reading online I see you buy them or build them, some going as far as buying a parts kit and building their own receiver, I dont know if that is even legal but lets not get to much into that. There is just so much info on different countries of origin and such, it is hard to know where to start.

So I am not looking for high end, I am just looking for something reliable and cheap, again its not going to be a heavily used weapon.

Any recommendations on what country I should look for and build vs buy? I am on my second AR15 build so I am getting more confident at building but if smithing is required count me out haha!

I would buy your first and play around with it. There are a lot of specialty tools needed for building an AK (Rivet press/bending dies/spot welder/barrel press/heat treat capabilities). There's a lot of fun to be had with modifying the AK, but I would learn a lot about them before you try to build one.

My personal favorite is the chinese MAK90: thick receiver, heavier barrel, chrome lined, and a complete factory gun (not built from a surplus parts kit). The thicker barrel does make in incompatible with a few accessories (bolton gasblock for example), but overall it's a very nice gun.

Romanian guns are nice too (I have a romanian DRACO/SBR that I'm very happy with).

The best thing to do when you go to buy one is:

Remove the dust cover and look inside, make sure the receiver isn't scabbed together with multiple welded plates (I've seen the rear half of an underfolder welded to the front end of a non underfolder)

Check the side to side slop of the bolt carrier in the receiver. I had to true up some receivers since they were bowed enough to cause the bolt carrier to lock up.

check for front sight canting. It's a fixable problem, but one I'd rather avoid (WASR's are notorious for that)

Check the rear of the receiver to see if it's a slant cut or straight cut (usually on MAK90's). Slant cuts are nearly impossible to find aftermarket components for.

Thanks, that is almost more info than I even know what to do with! haha!

I guess I assumed this gun was a simple build, similar to the AR, but it sounds like its much more than that! I guess I will stick to buying one.

Thanks again!

You can learn a lot from YouTube as well. Personally I like a chrome lined barrel AK that is made from New parts, not mix parts. I think the M10 (romanian AK) would be a good choice. I have one and it has been reliable and problem free. I've had probably 1200+ rounds through it and I only had one light primer strike..... I blame the primer in the tula round.

I built my first one at a build party in SoCal when I lived there and I wish I would have bought one instead. The ONLY reason is because now that I know a bit more about which AK's I like, I wish I could sell this one and get a different one, but I can't.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top