JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have recently rediscovered my SKS . It has sat in the back of my safe untouched for years. Decided to put some rounds through it last weekend along with my Aresonal sam7. I have to say with the exception of looking really cool the AK lacks the quality and accuracy of my SKS. I am in no way bashing the Ak its my 3rd favorite platform but the SKS is just built with better materials (forged milled receiver and cover) and yes my sam7 has a milled receiver with a stamped cover ( most aks have stamped receivers) i also hate the safety on the Ak its bulky and on the wrong side of the rifle. Both are extremely reliable but i can get better groups from my SKS. The AK is definitely sexier and i love them but I think the sks is under appreciated

The SKS is a forgotten classic, I love mine. I'm fairly accurate with it. Sure it needs stripper clips, but detachable mags are available.

They don't get much love these days and I'm unsure why.

I have an "AK" project, but it's a 9mm Frankenstein that I'm creating.

Last Edited:
I like the SKS, only have an AK because it is completely reliable. Loaned my son an SKS "d" for a wedding present last month. His bubblegum ex-wife turned him in with the RED FLAG law couple days ago. Trying to see what can be done to get it back. I have the receipt and BGC to show it was mine.

I miss mine. That was a long time ago. I think I miss the $1.99 packs of 20 rounds more though.

I miss mine. That was a long time ago. I think I miss the $1.99 packs of 20 rounds more though.
I miss the $99 retail prices on the NIB Chinese SKSs. And the $0.10 a round 7.62x39mm Wolf ammo.

LOL....I guess that is part of the reason why I don't see myself buying another SKS (at today's price). I need to get over the sticker shock. LOL.

Aloha, Mark

I had a '69 Camaro 396 automatic. LOL.....I can't even remember what I paid and how much I sold it for. At any rate......it's not like I could afford the gas (back then or now). LOL.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Everyone compares the SKS to the AK, but they are actually very different guns. I appreciate each for what they are. Back in the late '80s and early '90s when I was playing with SKSs, I thought of them as a wannabe AK, and I had those junky "duck-bill" magazines for mine.

I got rid of those magazines some years back. It's a better rifle with the 10 round mag it was designed for, in my opinion. I see the SKS as a handy little carbine, not an "assault rifle". In my mind it's a little along the lines of the old Winchester 30-30.

It's a little like a rock-climbing Jeep vs. an old farm pickup. You can compare them and say one is "better", but better for what? They're different vehicles for different purposes.

I like 'em both...
Having shot both of them....and been shot at , by folks using them...they make an impression....:D
Of the two ....I prefer the SKS...the Russian version over any other...that said I'd love a East German SKS.
Andy

Everyone compares the SKS to the AK, but they are actually very different guns. I appreciate each for what they are. Back in the late '80s and early '90s when I was playing with SKSs, I thought of them as a wannabe AK, and I had those junky "duck-bill" magazines for mine.

I got rid of those magazines some years back. It's a better rifle with the 10 round mag it was designed for, in my opinion. I see the SKS as a handy little carbine, not an "assault rifle". In my mind it's a little along the lines of the old Winchester 30-30.

It's a little like a rock-climbing Jeep vs. an old farm pickup. You can compare them and say one is "better", but better for what? They're different vehicles for different purposes.
I wasn't saying one is better for a given purpose or they are not unique. I was only comparing the quality of materials. Although I disagree that they serve different purposes. They shoot the same round and are or have been used by infantry units for the same purpose.

I like 'em both...
Having shot both of them....and been shot at , by folks using them...they make an impression....:D
Of the two ....I prefer the SKS...the Russian version over any other...that said I'd love a East German SKS.
Andy

You don't realize that "SKS" in "East German SKS" means "Slap Kiss Slap"….. them Teutonic gals like to dole out the ruff stuff!

…. er, so I've heard. :s0131:

I agree with you about the SKS. For informal shooting at the range, I prefer it over the AK.

There's no doubt that they were designed for the same purpose, and that the AK was the better tool for that purpose, but though they shoot the same round, I see them generally in different roles. If I had to choose one gun to be lost in the woods with for a year, I think I'd actually prefer an SKS.

I've had a lot of SKSs over the years: Chinese, Sino-Soviet, Russian, Yugoslavian, even an NVA made SKS for a while.

Edit: my different purposes comment was meant simply that the SKS does have some qualities that make it better for some purposes. I've gotten tired of hearing over the years that the SKS was obsolete junk, and why would anyone want one what they can get an AK?
It's a handy little carbine in it's own right.

I really tried back in the day to make as SKS into an AK. I came to the point where I realized that it made a pretty poor AK. I then came to appreciate it for what it was, rather than what it wasn't.

Last Edited:
Amen. Its like my 1970 ss454 chevelle i sold for 3k. Todays price? 50k lol. God i miss that car

I had a '69 Camaro 396 automatic. LOL.....I can't even remember what I paid and how much I sold it for. At any rate......it's not like I could afford the gas (back then or now). LOL.

Aloha, Mark
I had a 1969 Nova SS 396/375 hp. I too played around with the SKS and AKs back in the day. Only one Russian left.
K1xFXL9YE7E45PYoJ8nPTn7MJY=w834-h625-no?authuser=0.jpg

Have had both, down to just 3 SKS's packed away for SHFT, not my first choice, but they do quite will, last forever and are reasonably accurate if fed properly!
I too have the Big block muscle car, ( Still have it all these years later) my first love, 70 Challenger 440 4 barrel, 4 speed, and you guys ain't kidding heavy on the metal and hard on the gas, and insurance was insane back then, and it would pass anything but a gas station, but DAMN is it fast, sounds like no other, and turns heads quicker then the blonde with the big...........

smile!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads