JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gentlemen, is the AK really superior to the AR? You hear all this talk from contractors who have been there and done that and everyone of of them say they will take an AK over an AR any day of the week. They site less maintenance and higher reliability of the AK and no jams. So what gives, why are we supplying our troop with an inferior weapon? And which one would you choose in a real world situation?

Gentlemen, is the AK really superior to the AR? You hear all this talk from contractors who have been there and done that and everyone of of them say they will take an AK over an AR any day of the week. They site less maintenance and higher reliability of the AK and no jams. So what gives, why are we supplying our troop with an inferior weapon? And which one would you choose in a real world situation?

Contractor can go over seas, head into town, and buy a Russian AK for a hundred bucks. Not bothered by sand, and doesn't matter if you lose/break the damn thing.

You hear all this talk from contractors who have been there and done that and everyone of of them say they will take an AK over an AR any day of the week. They site less maintenance and higher reliability of the AK and no jams. So what gives, why are we supplying our troop with an inferior weapon? And which one would you choose in a real world situation?

:huh:
What talk from contractors? Do you guys know any contractors? I know a couple but they use ar15s here stateside. I've heard of several infantry grunts mentioning picking up an AK b/c sand gets into their guns and stop working (they do not ditch their primary). This is ANY gun with the exception of the AK. the M4s, M16s, M249. All of them are not designed for the sand box. The M4 has the best support. AK47 Training, extra parts, armorers, ammo. These are all things that logistically we do not have an unlimited supply of like with the 40 years of history we have with the m16.

Contrary to belief, any gun including the mighty ak47 can break. Sure its easier to maintain and fix, but there's a lot to be said about the US' role in the sandbox, how much ammo our guys can carry, what rules we have to obey as a geneva conference country vs. terrorist regimes, and the weapon we are using (precision 5.56mm round) vs. the not so urban wall penetration friendly "39".

Its like asking why cops here in Seattle use a .40 cal glock with 4 extra mags in their duty carry, when a glock 21 or 1911 would be a "better" option

Can we please not start this silly debate.

I think that saying the AK is superior to the AR is a pointless statement. The reverse is also as pointless.

Like many things in life, each has it's own strengths and weakness.

AK of course will operate in just about any environment. But hey, most of the time it will miss if the target is further than 100 meters.

AR is a good gun, very comfortable, accurate, has almost no recoil. It's rounds are less powerful, but it's much easier, more accurate, and quicker to shoot than the AK.

If you had both of these rifles at your disposal, you are prepared for just about any situation.

If the AR is so inferior then why do we win? When has our enemies won with the AK?

jj

Vietnam???

Like a lot of people here i own both. they each have there good points and bad points.

AR= accurate, fast rate of fire, quick follow up shots. not as reliable due to the tight tolerances.

AK = not as accurate, more penetration, not as fast follow up. very reliable, but not as accurate as a result.

each has its points and each does well in certain roles. There is no one gun solution. if there was that would be the only gun made and all dealers would be out of business. Use which ever gun suits your role.

The only contractor I know is I friend who was a Challenger troop commander/BBC Spokesman for the British forces during the invasion in 2003.
He worked as a contractor in Iraq after he left the army, delivering cash for the banks. He is now a security consultant for a Dubai based company that provides contractors for multinational companies that operate in hostile environments. He has supplied contractors for ships that sail the Somali coast, and is currently in Afghanistan.

They don't seem to have a preference for any one weapons platform. Whatever seems best for the task in hand - one day it may be an M4 with M203, the next a pump action sawn off shotgun. They used the M243 and many do use AKs.

I like both of them. The m4 is a precision firearm. A lot of people who use it have firearms at home and know to clean it as often as possible. The AK is designed for people whose only contact with firearms is when they are in the service of which ever country they reside in. The AK is good for people who use it when necessary and then hang it on a nail in the wall without cleaning it. Sometimes you need a nice car and sometimes a clunky old truck.

I think it depends on your objective. If you are a well trained good guy, that wants to keep collateral damage to a minimum with well placed shots, the AR wins. If you have the discipline and support to clean and maintain your weapon, the AR wins. If you need a weapon that will always function because you drag it through hog mud, precise shots don't matter to you because you don't have the training for that anyway, and you don't care about collateral damage because you're a bad guy, then the AK wins.

Having said this, every gun owner should own (at least) one of each.:s0155:

Some might be bored by this discussion, and it has been debated for decades.... I enjoy it because it give me a chance to see other peoples preferences.

If I had to choose one, it would be a very difficult choice......... both have so many good qualities! I'm glad I don't have to choose right now!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top