JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to the AK market and I'm looking for some of the famous, inexpensive surplus mags. I've found some sites online, but shipping usually takes the gloss off the price.

Are there any shops you kind folks can recommend in the Portland area that sell and regularly stock these metal mags? I've not looked around for them in the past, so I'm just hoping some folks here can help point me in the right direction.

Thanks folks.

Not sure about local or surplus, but some AK mags can be had online for as low as $6 each

http://ammoseek.com/magazines/7.62x39mm

Also remember your C&R will give you dealer prices for the ones on Brownells. Plastic ones are $7 and up there

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/index.htm?avad=avant&aid=56335&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-Avantlink-_-Custom+Link&avs|Cartridge_1=CVV_7xzzx62+x+39+mm+Russian

Thanks for the info. I keep forgetting I can do that with my C&R, I appreciate the reminder. :)

For those of you that do not use the sportsmen's guide give it a look. If you have good credit they have a 4 pay plan that you can sign up for when you buy things there....even AMMO.
In my opinion, the membership fee is WELL worth the price. The website is excellent as well. They routinely have a ton of other discount codes. Whenever there is free shipping I buy a case of ammo from them and throw it on the 4pay plan. I don't even notice the 50 bucks per month for a 200 dollar purchase. It really is an awesome company. Plus, when the 7n6 panic was going, they honored the original prices I was quoted at 13 cents per round. Now it is up over 25 cents.

Please be careful you don't buy any of the Korean magazines - they are not mil surp. The welds are crap.
I have used 2 of them now for a year. They have been great.
I think the initial ones were no good but these seem to be fine. I hear a lot of internet talk abou this but I can not find anyone who actually has experienced a failure with them.

For surplus mags:

Classic firearms
J&G sales
The country shed
Centerfire
Sometimes Aim surplus.

Magpul without reinforcements is no more resilient than Tapco. Ive broke both.

As long as the surplus bodies are sound, dont worry about the finish. I refinish all of mine that show rust by rust removal and rebluing turn out like new.

If you have the means, I would pick up a few circle 10 mags. They literally are the top of the line AK mags.. Until Toth Tool gets it together.. (When ever that may be, I think they got sued.. Because its been a damn year and a half)

Korean mags are junk. Soft steel, crappy finish that WILL rust so bad it makes the follower stick. The rivet type spot welds are crap. For nearly the same price just get surplus mags. Now if the Korean mags were $6-5 or less ..then of course, they beat polymer mags.. But I WOULD NOT stock up on them. Pure junk. Ive never had any "break" the Ive worn the metal down so bad that shaving would come off and into the chamber, Ive also had 3 mags rust inside so bad the follower sticks.

I have used 2 of them now for a year. They have been great.
I think the initial ones were no good but these seem to be fine. I hear a lot of internet talk abou this but I can not find anyone who actually has experienced a failure with them.

Funny you should say that. Did you see the post directly after yours?

http://www.sgammo.com/product/762x3...n-varies-good-excellent-eastern-european-mili
Shipping was $12. For a total of $91.50 for ten functional mags to my door. The mags are used, and have some character, but seem like they will function fine.

Another vote for the SGAmmo mags. They have "character" all right, but they all work. A few were too tight and needed to be filed a bit or they wouldn't release, but that's a whole lot better than bein' too loose, if you catch my drift.

I also like SGAmmo because it's a family business. I bought a case of "LEO only" ammo through them; they say "if it's good enough for LEOs it's good enough for anybody." If they want to make a law to ban it, that's a different story, but no manufacturer is going to impose such an arbitrary rule on them and make it stick.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top