Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AK suggestions, comments, pics for inspiration

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by NWGunner, Sep 8, 2011.

1. NWGunner

NWGunner Salem Active Member

So I just picked up this AK and wanna do something other then the typical wood setup I have on all of mine. Its a Norinco NHM 90. I put some wood on it for the pic to show contrast of the two styles. It came with a factory top mount for scope and cheap scope on it. I'd like to hear some and see some ideas on which way to go with it. Keep the scope? I've never had anything but side mounted Russian PK-A red dots on my AK's. What style furniture and such should I go with, wood or plastic? Ideas, comments, pics, everything is welcome at this point! :) Thus far the most I've grabbed for it was a Hogue grip off ebay to see how they felt. Just wanna hear input then show how it ends up with the input given. So who's gonna go first...?

2. NWGunner

3. NWGunner

Hey Tits, Im on the 45th too! I mean right on it! Where u located? We should get together and you can school me on how to build this thing!

4. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

I am one of these. I save the rails and lights for my ar's. My ak's are plain and unmolested. A ak just doesn't look right to me with a rail or a red dot on it. While I do prefer my ak's over any other of my rifles it just seems like your adding a new saddle to a old work horse.

However, I can totally understand a hogue grip. The factory grips suck!

5. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

In case you aren't aware, be careful you maintain 922r compliance when you start changing out parts on post ban rifles.

Personally, either classic wood or classic plastic is my preference for AK furniture. On most AKs the modern quad rail setup with an AR stock just doesn't do it for me.
    Keith

6. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

But both the rider and the old work horse are much more comfortable with a new saddle!

7. NWGunner

Don't worry I plan on keeping in compliance... Mostly just meant scope no scope, type of furniture, etc.

8. NWGunner

Nice statement!

9. NWGunner

10. NWGunner

I'm still wondering why nobody has commented on the whole scope issue! Yes its an issue to me! :)

11. NWGunner

Tits...WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GO AND MOVE!! :) You would have been great help on my Spud build Im about to do.

12. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

I have US Palm AK Battle grips for sale (Black and FDE). Also I have US Palm 30 round mags (Black only).

Good luck!

T_H

13. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

You make a good point. I guess if I had a WASR then I could justify throwing a rail on it and maybe some other things. As long as I didn't ad $500 of accessories to a $400 gun
    then it wouldn't be half bad.

14. CleverName

CleverName Southern Oregon Active Member

I have an old Mak 90 I converted back to REAL AK status. It has an ACE folder that I would recommend to someone that wanted a folder. I threaded the muzzle for a birdcage FH. Its also been Cerakoted in Sniper Grey. I want to put an Ultimak on it eventually with a T-1 red dot and white light. I think a magnifying optic on a 7.62X39 gun would be a little silly.

nov10 023.jpg

15. NWGunner

You are PLUM right about that! :thumbup:

16. mattg72

mattg72 Southeastern, PA New Member

DSC00040.jpg
    DSC00043.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

17. coosbaycreep

coosbaycreep 9 miles South of Roseburg Active Member

Wood furniture with a scope looks good on dragunovs, but I'd go craptastic plastic if you're going to use a scope on an AK. They just look stupid when scoped with the shorter barrel.

I still like wood furniture on unscoped AKs though, especially "russian red", or whatever they call it.

The VEPRs that atlantic firearms sells are probably the nicest non-custom wood AKs I've seen, and if I had $1k sittin' around, I'd have one just to fondle. Not sure if they sell those stocks seperately, and if they did, it still wouldn't count towards 922 compliance.

Whatever you decide to do with your AK though, here's a mod I'd suggest NOT doing:
    th_DSC04233.jpg
    th_DSC04234.jpg
    th_DSC04235.jpg

That's what happens when you botch a trigger installation and end up using a filed down nail and bailing wire to make your gun work because the holes in the receiver or messed up.

18. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

That's some pretty cheesy chit right there! If that is a home bent receiver and he tried to get the holes correct, ah, maybe. But if it was a factory built gun, then why did ANYBODY screw with the trigger hole? Could have done a better job with an oversize pin then a nail.

19. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Looks like a good Khyber Pass clone to me. They use nails and all sorts of stuff like this.

Keith

20. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I bought a vanilla WASR-10/63 and transformed it from this...

(CrapTasco side-folder, blond wood, no cleaning rod)
    100_2024.jpg

To this...

(Refinished the wood, installed an ACE side-folder)
    100_2214.jpg

and ultimately to this...

(Black poly hand guards w/heat shields from K-Var)
    100_2253.jpg
    100_2255.jpg

It friken rocks the 10-ring if your do you part!

I have another WASR-10/63 that I'm slowly restoring from this FUGLY thing with a PSL stock on it...

(Slapped the refinished hand guards from the other WASR on this one, the originals were FFFFFUGLY)
    100_2257.jpg

For a change of flavor I decided to put a Romy "dong" wood stock set on it that I scored for $15... just got to get around to refinishing the wood in Russian Red. That front "donkey dong" grip looks "redonkulous", but I'm amazed at how flippin' comfortable it is to wield.

100_2270.jpg

I haven't shot this one yet, but I have the irons laser boresighted @25yds.