JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just picked up this AK and wanna do something other then the typical wood setup I have on all of mine. Its a Norinco NHM 90. I put some wood on it for the pic to show contrast of the two styles. It came with a factory top mount for scope and cheap scope on it. I'd like to hear some and see some ideas on which way to go with it. Keep the scope? I've never had anything but side mounted Russian PK-A red dots on my AK's. What style furniture and such should I go with, wood or plastic? Ideas, comments, pics, everything is welcome at this point! :) Thus far the most I've grabbed for it was a Hogue grip off ebay to see how they felt. Just wanna hear input then show how it ends up with the input given. So who's gonna go first...?

:p Had to add this before the AK plastic haters came out...:s0114::s0112:
No flame here please!! :s0155:

I am one of these. I save the rails and lights for my ar's. My ak's are plain and unmolested. A ak just doesn't look right to me with a rail or a red dot on it. While I do prefer my ak's over any other of my rifles it just seems like your adding a new saddle to a old work horse.

However, I can totally understand a hogue grip. The factory grips suck!

In case you aren't aware, be careful you maintain 922r compliance when you start changing out parts on post ban rifles.

Personally, either classic wood or classic plastic is my preference for AK furniture. On most AKs the modern quad rail setup with an AR stock just doesn't do it for me.
Keith

Sure, now if we're talking about a Chinese M22/Type 56 Export, Polytech Legend, Steyr Maadi or something along those lines than I'd want to keep the "real" furniture as is, but with a Saiga, Arsenal, WASR, etc., etc., etc. or a build with demilled parts kit on a Nodak Spud receiver I'll go with the modern features every time. There is nothing wrong with bringing an AK into the 21st century.

Personally I think an Ultimak with a T-1 and G-2 is a fine balance between clean lines and update technology, providing
better shootability. A folding stock, VCAS and Big Dot sights is more gravy.

You make a good point. I guess if I had a WASR then I could justify throwing a rail on it and maybe some other things. As long as I didn't ad $500 of accessories to a $400 gun
then it wouldn't be half bad.

I have an old Mak 90 I converted back to REAL AK status. It has an ACE folder that I would recommend to someone that wanted a folder. I threaded the muzzle for a birdcage FH. Its also been Cerakoted in Sniper Grey. I want to put an Ultimak on it eventually with a T-1 red dot and white light. I think a magnifying optic on a 7.62X39 gun would be a little silly.

nov10 023.jpg

Wood furniture with a scope looks good on dragunovs, but I'd go craptastic plastic if you're going to use a scope on an AK. They just look stupid when scoped with the shorter barrel.

I still like wood furniture on unscoped AKs though, especially "russian red", or whatever they call it.

The VEPRs that atlantic firearms sells are probably the nicest non-custom wood AKs I've seen, and if I had $1k sittin' around, I'd have one just to fondle. Not sure if they sell those stocks seperately, and if they did, it still wouldn't count towards 922 compliance.

Whatever you decide to do with your AK though, here's a mod I'd suggest NOT doing:

That's what happens when you botch a trigger installation and end up using a filed down nail and bailing wire to make your gun work because the holes in the receiver or messed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's some pretty cheesy chit right there! If that is a home bent receiver and he tried to get the holes correct, ah, maybe. But if it was a factory built gun, then why did ANYBODY screw with the trigger hole? Could have done a better job with an oversize pin then a nail.

I bought a vanilla WASR-10/63 and transformed it from this...

(CrapTasco side-folder, blond wood, no cleaning rod)
100_2024.jpg

To this...

(Refinished the wood, installed an ACE side-folder)
100_2214.jpg

and ultimately to this...

(Black poly hand guards w/heat shields from K-Var)
100_2253.jpg
100_2255.jpg

It friken rocks the 10-ring if your do you part!

I have another WASR-10/63 that I'm slowly restoring from this FUGLY thing with a PSL stock on it...

(Slapped the refinished hand guards from the other WASR on this one, the originals were FFFFFUGLY)
100_2257.jpg

For a change of flavor I decided to put a Romy "dong" wood stock set on it that I scored for $15... just got to get around to refinishing the wood in Russian Red. That front "donkey dong" grip looks "redonkulous", but I'm amazed at how flippin' comfortable it is to wield.

100_2270.jpg

I haven't shot this one yet, but I have the irons laser boresighted @25yds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top