JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are you AK guys using for scope mounts? I see prices from $18.00 way up to $100.00+, and the mounts look very similar. I have a scope from my Dads, I guess you'd call it sporterized, Enfield 30-06. It's a Lyman Gun Sight Corporation "Alaskan" 2.5X scope. I'm guessing it's out of the early-mid 50s, or earlier? That scope will look pretty good on an AK47 I think.

P1040105.JPG P1040104.JPG

Of course I realize I'll need to get rings to get it ON the scope mount once I find the appropriate mount.

Mike

I have an RS regulate mount on one. Its solid, repeatable, and really well made. Uses the side rail mount. Spendy but worth it. This is a google search pic for an idea of what it looks like.

Vepr_010.jpg

Thanks, that's cool with all the adjustment there....But "Spendy" is what I'm trying to avoid. That's a good looking mount. My AK is Polish with wood stocks. Looking for something a.. a.. A little less futuristic? Maybe? Dunno, I'm new to all this. I'ts a shame you can't go into a store and look at an assortment of mounts.

If you have a mounting point for a side mount then the one above is one of the best. I have a MAK 90 so it does not have that option so I went with a Parabellum Armament dustcover www.parabellumarmament.com/AKARS-GEN3.html

Doing a little research and that RS system looks pretty good. As I said, I'm newbie to this. I measured my scope tube diameter at 7/8". Every thing I see on rings, and the ring for this system are 1", I think. Color me confused!
Looking for something along the lines of this...http://www.primaryarms.com/mi-ak30sm/p/mi-ak30sm/ .... But it is 30mm? Looks to me like there aren't rings for this scope, other than the ones on it.

Is there any chance there is a mount that will use what I've got for rings as it is?

P1040107.JPG P1040106.JPG
This old school scope would look pretty go on the old school AK.

I got a used gen 2 TWS rail for sale. ;)

But you'll have to buy high rings, it sits very low and the bell of the optic usually rests right above the rear sight (main) mount.

Id personally go with a side mount over a dedicated dust cover rail.

Weaver may still make rings for those scopes

Still make? Dunno about that, but I did score on a set of Weavers on Ebay this morning for $39.95/$4.00 shipping! Including vintage box and instructions. Oh there were some "VINTAGE" rings $100.00-$200.00! The issue seems to be that 7/8" scope tubes were pretty much before 7/8" weaver rails. So in all the choices of rings, there were 1' and 30mm/ w weaver mount, or 7/8" tube for some old dove tail .22 mounts or for drilled receivers.

How do you like that Polish AK

It's pretty.:D Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet though.

I got a used gen 2 TWS rail for sale. ;)

But you'll have to buy high rings, it sits very low and the bell of the optic usually rests right above the rear sight (main) mount.

Id personally go with a side mount over a dedicated dust cover rail.

Don't know what that is....Enlightenment please? it might be just what I'm looking for.

Yeah, no dust cover mount for me! If you look at the pics, no bell at the front, bell at the eye piece. Eye relief looks to be about 2.5", that puts the bell just short of the back of the dust cover.

I'm sure the MI mount from primary arms would be fine, but it doesn't offer the flexibility of the RS mounts and is only a little more than the MI mount after you buy your upper rail piece. If you decide to go with a red dot over a scope at a later time, you are stuck getting a new mount. That is truly the biggest benefit of the RS system. One mount, adjustable for any optics system, and is repeatable time after time.

Still make? Dunno about that, but I did score on a set of Weavers on Ebay this morning for $39.95/$4.00 shipping! Including vintage box and instructions. Oh there were some "VINTAGE" rings $100.00-$200.00! The issue seems to be that 7/8" scope tubes were pretty much before 7/8" weaver rails. So in all the choices of rings, there were 1' and 30mm/ w weaver mount, or 7/8" tube for some old dove tail .22 mounts or for drilled receivers.

It's pretty.:D Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet though.

Don't know what that is....Enlightenment please? it might be just what I'm looking for.

Yeah, no dust cover mount for me! If you look at the pics, no bell at the front, bell at the eye piece. Eye relief looks to be about 2.5", that puts the bell just short of the back of the dust cover.
Unfortunately what I'm selling is something that I have since shifted away from in terms of an optic mounts. While it is a sturdy mount I find that side rail mounts have came a long way in terms of center bore axis.

The Texas Weapon Systems Dust cover rail works well for its intended purpose. I personally like keeping my irons and retaining the ability to mount and dismount my optic(s)

I think a side rail mount will fit the bill for your optic.
Dont cheap out in a side rail mount though the cheapest decent mount would be like a Kvar side rail QD mount (around $30-$50) the rest go up from there.

Remember, NO no name china junk. ;)

I assume you are going to scavange the scope for an AK..
First off those Lyman scopes are great B&L made the glass for them and other high end scope makers..the mount you have apears to be an echo made in Boise Idaho...if you thro that on eBay you might be surprised what it might bring..that is one of the few removable mounts of that era that was made good enough to be repeatable...7/8 mounts can be found at the gun shows pretty easy but I doubt for an AK...so you might sell the whole works and start fresh with a 1 inch tube..

I really would like to have one of those fancy mounts but I just cant bring myself to spend $180 to mount a $60 TRS25 on a $500 rifle.

I ordered one of the UTG mounts off Amazon for $45. I'll see how it goes. IF its no good then its not a value at any price.

I assume you are going to scavange the scope for an AK..
First off those Lyman scopes are great B&L made the glass for them and other high end scope makers..the mount you have apears to be an echo made in Boise Idaho...if you thro that on eBay you might be surprised what it might bring..that is one of the few removable mounts of that era that was made good enough to be repeatable...7/8 mounts can be found at the gun shows pretty easy but I doubt for an AK...so you might sell the whole works and start fresh with a 1 inch tube..

The Lyman scope came of dads sporterized Enfield. He did the Enfield himself after he got out of the Navy in 1947 when he went into business with his brother with a gun shop. I'll always have the Enfield/scope/mount combo, though the scope may or may not rest on the Enfield in the future. I'll probably look at E-bay for "Echo" just for fun though.

That's the one I got to shoot today right? I really liked that scope on the AK

Yes sir it is. It's the only AK I have! I thought it was pretty lucky to have a late '40s scope to mount on a fire arm originating in the late '40s too.

I really would like to have one of those fancy mounts but I just cant bring myself to spend $180 to mount a $60 TRS25 on a $500 rifle.

I ordered one of the UTG mounts off Amazon for $45. I'll see how it goes. IF its no good then its not a value at any price.

Yeah, that's how I felt. But it only hurt for a while, and it seems to work as promised. I hastily sighted that scope in at 50 yards and it's been on and off the gun several times. I thought it did pretty well, at somewhere close to 75 yards I could hit the 1' gong three out of five times with no rest. That's pretty good for me considering I'm not that good with trigger management.

I looked up the UTG and the only possible issue I see is centering it to the bore of the rifle. RS has close to a 1/4 " of side to side adjustment. And it sits higher above the dust cover. Not sure if that would make a difference, but having my cheek tight to the stock with the RS feels comfortable to me. I hope it works out for you though.

I'm thinking you could use something like this, and make a set of inserts for 7/8" tube dia. (inserts are easy to make, if you end up needing a set:)) I've seen a few mounts that are different heights also.

Or, an older Weaver side mount system (in 7/8") could be made to fit one of the many AK mounts.

ak1.jpg ak2.jpg

(inserts are easy to make, if you end up needing a set:))

Easy for you to say "Mr. Master Gunsmith!":) I appreciate knowing that that's something available to me if needed, thanks.

I have this set up pretty good I think. It was fun too. P1040171.JPG P1040173.JPG P1040174.JPG P1040175.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top