JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Better for what is the operative question. Though not a fan of either the Kalashnikov or the Simonov, but I'd, generally, go with the former. Same cartridge, but faster/easier reloads (SKS stripper clips vs AK box magazines is an easy choice), lighter rifle, probably more options for parts, etc.

If I understand, the SKS can be pretty bomb proof for the money, but I've never so much as held one. Of a dozen AKs I've shot, only one wasn't at least a little picky about mags. But that one also only uses circle 10/circle 21 as that's all I have for it. And those are $50 mags. In my mind, the number 1 thing for any firearm is reliability. I don't really hear much about SKS jam-o-matics or I.O. made face grenades

Not sure if you can get parts for the SKS and depending on what country model you buy from can you easily find replacement parts. Also what do you plan to use the SKS or AK for? HD then get an AK. For just plinking it is you choice in the end. AK parts or more plentiful as well and you can still get 30 round magazines right now as well which you may not be the buy in the future.

I believe that was because of the F/A capabilities of the AK and the cost of manufacture I believe was higher for the SKS. In semiauto arms, the AK has less of an advantage. My SKS is my first gun and occupies a special place in my heart.

The Polish dropped the p64 for the p83, bur the p64 is way nicer. What succeeded what is often a matter of price.
Cost, ease of training, followed by function and capacity. AK is also more simple and has oess parts.
Better for what is the operative question. Though not a fan of either the Kalashnikov or the Simonov, but I'd, generally, go with the former. Same cartridge, but faster/easier reloads (SKS stripper clips vs AK box magazines is an easy choice), lighter rifle, probably more options for parts, etc.
More options for aftermarket support for the AK. Aftermarket that is both civilian driven and an aftermarket that is military driven, zenitco comes to mind for the latter.

Many people have brought up the fact that an AK will obviously grant higher magazine capacity and the ability to reload quicker. However, one downside is that you obviously have to spend more money to acquire said magazines. Then, you need to ensure that the magazines are actually functional/trustworthy.

An SKS is a completely self-contained package and simpler from that perspective; the tradeoff being lower capacity and slower reloads (unless you get very good with stripper clips!) Another thing to consider is the fact that an AK series rifle does not lock open when you fire the last round, while the SKS does. To some people this does not matter, but I definitely think it is a big knock on the AK.

All pros and cons being weighed, for me, I like the SKS a lot better. Now if I was able to choose an AK that was select-fire as they are intended, then I might change my mind!:D

Last Edited:
If I understand, the SKS can be pretty bomb proof for the money, but I've never so much as held one. Of a dozen AKs I've shot, only one wasn't at least a little picky about mags. But that one also only uses circle 10/circle 21 as that's all I have for it. And those are $50 mags. In my mind, the number 1 thing for any firearm is reliability. I don't really hear much about SKS jam-o-matics or I.O. made face grenades

That AKs have you used? A decent AK with a decent mag should never have issues. Occasionally you might need to file a tab but that is the extent of what you would have to do. IO and CAI make scrap metal, not AKs.

I've never paid more than $40 for ((10)) or ((21)) or any AK mag I own except my RPK mag.

That AKs have you used? A decent AK with a decent mag should never have issues. Occasionally you might need to file a tab but that is the extent of what you would have to do. IO and CAI make scrap metal, not AKs.

I've never paid more than $40 for ((10)) or ((21)) or any AK mag I own except my RPK mag.
Right. I'm saying mags seem to be the problem if there's a problem.

Look at current pricing. What you paid is not what you'll pay. The mags I'm referencing cost me about $35/ea several years ago but now they're about $50.

Look at current pricing. What you paid is not what you'll pay. The mags I'm referencing cost me about $35/ea several years ago but now they're about $50.
I havnt stopped buying mags, I just don't buy the over priced ones. Even my 223 ((10)) were $40 or less. Even got one from a gun shop in Bend for $10 last summer. In September I missed out on $40 russian bakes because I took too long cleaning the range. I have an AK mag addiction.

If mags are causing you problems either your mags are garbage or the gun is garbage. If it's an IO/CAI build just melt it down before it kills you.

Generally mag issues in AKs are crappy mags. I've even held tapco junk in a 223 AK magwell where the tapco mags don't even lock in and are too narrow and it still fed and ran!

If you run a surplus mag you should never have a problem. I run all Tula, Izzy, ((10)) or ((21)) mags for my 74s. For my 47s I generally run whatever steel surplus that looks like it got run over by a tank, KCI (never had them give me problems and their 20s are way cheaper than true tankers) and magpuls when I don't feel like throwing steel mags in a puddle. I also only run Russian or Bulgarian rifles though my mags have worked fine in PSA, Romanian and even a POS RAS (that I wasn't about to stick my head near). Only ((10)) for the 223 though.

Only mags I've spent over $35 on were my 5.56 AK mags and AK74 mags. AKM mags can still be found at a decent price if you keep your ears on the ground, and look on forums.

And the only reason I spent a lot on 5.56 mags were because they were black beryl mags.

Last Edited:
I havnt stopped buying mags, I just don't buy the over priced ones. Even my 223 ((10)) were $40 or less. Even got one from a gun shop in Bend for $10 last summer. In September I missed out on $40 russian bakes because I took too long cleaning the range. I have an AK mag addiction.

If mags are causing you problems either your mags are garbage or the gun is garbage. If it's an IO/CAI build just melt it down before it kills you.

Generally mag issues in AKs are crappy mags. I've even held tapco junk in a 223 AK magwell where the tapco mags don't even lock in and are too narrow and it still fed and ran!

If you run a surplus mag you should never have a problem. I run all Tula, Izzy, ((10)) or ((21)) mags for my 74s. For my 47s I generally run whatever steel surplus that looks like it got run over by a tank, KCI (never had them give me problems and their 20s are way cheaper than true tankers) and magpuls when I don't feel like throwing steel mags in a puddle. I also only run Russian or Bulgarian rifles though my mags have worked fine in PSA, Romanian and even a POS RAS (that I wasn't about to stick my head near). Only ((10)) for the 223 though.
TLDR. You win.

Having owned all of the above I'd say the AK looks cooler and comes in a lot more variants and can be optioned out better. The SKS shoots better. The D model , if you can find one, that takes AK mags is the best of both worlds.

I paid $10.95 for some Croatian AK magazines. I had to use a Dremel sanding disc to grind a bit above the locking tab but they work reliably in my AK now. I have taken them multiple times to the gun range without any issues.

Some SKS have really gritty bad triggers. The SKS has a last round hold open, but I think the AK is much safer to operate. Fewer light strikes. It's also much easier to load. The sights are about the same. Maintenance is really easy on both. If you have longer arms you might find an SKS more comfortable.

Those combloc rifles are a lot of fun. They have a nice thump that is much more satisfying than the 5.56x45 but it's still really tame compared to a deer rifle. I have however noticed 7.62x39 is really affected by the wind. A really nice third option is the AK74. I'm surprised those didn't catch on more.

Some SKS have really gritty bad triggers. The SKS has a last round hold open, but I think the AK is much safer to operate. Fewer light strikes. It's also much easier to load. The sights are about the same. Maintenance is really easy on both. If you have longer arms you might find an SKS more comfortable.

Those combloc rifles are a lot of fun. They have a nice thump that is much more satisfying than the 5.56x45 but it's still really tame compared to a deer rifle. I have however noticed 7.62x39 is really affected by the wind. A really nice third option is the AK74. I'm surprised those didn't catch on more.
They didn't because the ATF banned 7N6 imports.

The SKS is safer to operate by far. It has a rarely seen tipping bolt safety sear reminiscent of a Winchester 100. Hardly ever seen in imported rifles as they are readily convertable to timed full auto fire. The AK 3rd hole is where the safety sear would normally reside. We just call it the auto sear in the case of an AK.

I'll just recommend if you buy an AK, start with Palmetto. US made, fair price and good quality. Some are made with FN barrels

I have several and not 1 issue.
My recent addition to the collection

EEF76B14-6726-4B20-AC64-1D649399B4DF.jpeg

I prefer the AK. But there is no reason not to own 3 or 4 of each. Two different tools.You can pick up a stock Mak-90 and it will shoot every bit as good as a Chinese SKS,if not better.And have 3 times the Beans. Only my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top