JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For all practical purposes, just buy an AK. The SKS is an outdated design and isn't worth its cost nowdays compared to an AK, unless you're a collector or just want to add one to your safe

Better for what..?
That may make a difference.

Of the two....
I prefer the SKS Carbine over the AK series of rifles.
I just like how the SKS carries and how it handles for me.

Notice the for me....
The opinion is mine , based on my experiences with owning and shooting various SKS Carbines and AK type rifles....not to forget mentioning , being shot at with the same types of firearms....:eek: :D

Everyone has a different opinion of what is best or better....
Andy

The SKS chose me when I got out of the ARMY the first time they were $49 ea in crates ! I mean how could you not buy one and a can of ammo 1250 rounds for $75 ? I still have two left a Yugo sks and a Norinco sks-m with the Planet Of The Apes stock .

The sks is heavier. I have both and say... AK. The sks is a lot of fun too. I feel like the sks is better/more accurate for a little longer range

AK. I am also biased and hate the SKS. I have a DB marked chinese and hate it. Regret buying it but it's here to stay. I don't sell.

The AK is smaller, has more magazine availability and capacity selection. Parts seem to be easier to find these days for the AK.

The AK is much more accurate than people give it credit for. MK is much handier than the SKS and seems to appreciate much much more than the SKS.

Better is subjective. Some would say, get both! I prefer the SKS. It points better and has a better trigger, so I get more practical accuracy. I don't like the way the AK handles. I think of the AK as a bad bubblegum spray-and-pray range toy.

I have two AKMs and one Norinko SKS Type 25. Between the three models I would choose my SBR Romanian Draco with a wire folding stock due to its compactness and transportability.

The notion of the AKM as being inaccurate and a "spray-and-pray" rifle is, in IMHO, a fallacy. The rifle is more than capable than most shooters and shooters with issues typically don't understand the ballistics of the 7.62x39 cartridge or their rifle isn't zeroed in properly. Also keep in mind the designation of the tool: it's a medium range assault rifle capable of 3 - 4" groups at 100 yards and is plenty accurate for the job it was designed to do. If you're looking at punching the same hole through paper with a benchrest bag maybe the AKM isn't the best choice.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail this thread into an accuracy discussion, but there are a lot of misconceptions out there regarding the AKM.

In summary: I love my SKS but personally I'd choose the AKM due to it's portability, reliability, and capacity.

Depends, like them both. Wouldn't pass on either, if I was looking AND the price was rite.

Not currently looking, so kinda moot for me.

Currently own a bunch of AK's (47&74), and one SKS-M (takes AK magazines). Not selling any firearms ATM either, unless the market gets truly STUPID WONKY.

Not saying I could do it today, but when my eyes were better I shot 1" 5 shot groups at 112 yards with my SKS and corrosive Steel case ammo. Handy deer hunting rifle too...

Yes that AK is plenty accurate. I find it a bit more "barbaric" in design compared to the sks. I have a AK 10" pistol which is my favorite, plenty accurate and lightweight with minimal recoil.

Just to add my 2c worth in with the rest: I agree with Andy: it depends on what you want.

If you want a practical, effective, military weapon for combat, then the AK is the clear winner. It's a whole different style of rifle. The SKS, while similar in some ways, is more of a throw-back to earlier generations of design.

If you just want a fun rifle to shoot (but one that is also practical and durable), then check out the SKS. A lot of people really like them. I don't know how many SKSs I've owned over the decades. I bought my first one at a garage sale in the late '80s when I was a teenager. I miss the days when you could find them for $75 or less. A lot of people looked down their noses at them back then, "Cheap Commie junk!" I think it was mostly because they were so cheap, and you saw them everywhere. I don't know that I'd pay what they sell for now, but I do like the SKS.

If your criteria is pure practicality, I'd recommend the AK. If not, then I'd suggest finding a way to try them both out to see which you like the best.

Better for what..?
That may make a difference.

Of the two....
I prefer the SKS Carbine over the AK series of rifles.
I just like how the SKS carries and how it handles for me.

Notice the for me....
The opinion is mine , based on my experiences with owning and shooting various SKS Carbines and AK type rifles....not to forget mentioning , being shot at with the same types of firearms....:eek: :D

Everyone has a different opinion of what is best or better....
Andy
I actually agree with one caveat. I have owned a few, and some of the sks triggers are definitely worlds better than others. The original trigger groups work IME better than the ones the Russians put in later as an arsenal refurb. There are stamped metal parts in some of those which leads to a heavier, grittier trigger. A nice SKS shoots IMO as a much more refined gun.

Note, again, all this is my opinion and I have owned multiples of both. Very nice ones of both and I enjoy both.

I had that decision to make before the move from Hawaii to WA. Besides the regular Chinese SKS, I even had a SKS Model D. But oh well.....

I chose to keep the AK.
WolverinesTWO.jpg

Aloha, Mark

The Soviets dropped one for the other...that should answer your question.
I believe that was because of the F/A capabilities of the AK and the cost of manufacture I believe was higher for the SKS. In semiauto arms, the AK has less of an advantage. My SKS is my first gun and occupies a special place in my heart.

The Polish dropped the p64 for the p83, bur the p64 is way nicer. What succeeded what is often a matter of price.

If quick reloading is important, I would go with an AK. A detachable magazine is a big advantage.

If you don't mind taking abuse from purists, you can retrofit an SKS to use detachable mags, but this seems to be heresy these days. And not all SKSs function well with aftermarket magazines.

If you decide on the SKS, I would recommend a SKS of European manufacture. Most people who seem to be unhappy with the SKS have tried Chinese models, in my experience, although I am aware that some people like their Norincos.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top