JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My AR is the single most versatile weapon I have.

It's perfect for shooting quarters at 50 yards to make key chains, or putting my eotech on there and blowing away water jugs with my betamag, or plinking balloons at ~400 yards, or throw in my 22 kit and plink away all day for pennies. I use it for coyote hunting, then I throw in my 22lr kit and use it for sage rats....

I have an AK. It's not particularly good at anything.... let alone everything that my AR is. My ak stays in the safe so I can say I have an AK.

My choice is always going to be the AR

Ak-74 would be a good way to go. You can get get one and a couple thousand rounds of ammo, for the cost of most el cheapo AR clone by itself. Plus, with the 74, you get the simplicity and reliability of an AK, with the improved longer-range effectiveness and accuracy of the 5.45 round compared to the 7.62x39.

If accuracy beyond 300 yards doesn't matter, then I'd go AK-47 in the 7.62x39 for reasons others have already mentioned, but you may also wanna consider a VZ-58. The Century-made versions are actually quite affordable $429 (before shipping and FFL transfer), they're decent guns, probably one of the best rifles that they make, and are lighter than a typical AK and probably most AR's too.

I've seen alot of Ar"s that were plrnty dependable after a little tweaking, but my CA AK looked clean when I bought it but when I heated it up that peanut butter cosmoline stuff came out hot and the gun seemed to love it. these guns are almost idiot proof. Great first Black gun.:s0155::s0155: Wow I learned how to do the smiles!!:):)

For an AK47 or 74, hit up J&G Sales, or www.classicarms.us online. Both have several varieties in that family of rifle, and both have good prices. There are "shooter packages" available on Classic that might be more appealing for you with some extra accessories, bag, and ammo. J&G has rifle/ammo combos as well. :thumb:

Ak-74 would be a good way to go. You can get get one and a couple thousand rounds of ammo, for the cost of most el cheapo AR clone by itself. Plus, with the 74, you get the simplicity and reliability of an AK, with the improved longer-range effectiveness and accuracy of the 5.45 round compared to the 7.62x39.

If accuracy beyond 300 yards doesn't matter, then I'd go AK-47 in the 7.62x39 for reasons others have already mentioned, but you may also wanna consider a VZ-58. The Century-made versions are actually quite affordable $429 (before shipping and FFL transfer), they're decent guns, probably one of the best rifles that they make, and are lighter than a typical AK and probably most AR's too.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...ifle%2C-7-62x39-caliber-/products_id/1055

$389 before shipping and dealer fees.

Does anyone know where to shop for an AK-74? And what brand might fall into my budget?
I've seen some Saigas on Arms of America but they seem to be out of stock.

Thanks again,
Will

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...liber,-by-cai-/cPath/209_214/products_id/4274

Centry Arms AK-74 - $339.99

I've delt with J&G Sales personally....not only are they among the cheapest, but they have great customer service.

For an AK47 or 74, hit up J&G Sales, or www.classicarms.us online. Both have several varieties in that family of rifle, and both have good prices. There are "shooter packages" available on Classic that might be more appealing for you with some extra accessories, bag, and ammo. J&G has rifle/ammo combos as well. :thumb:

lol, you and I both not only posted at the same time but with the same company in mind. Sounds like he should get an Ak from J&G Sales...lol

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...ifle%2C-7-62x39-caliber-/products_id/1055

$389 before shipping and dealer fees.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...liber,-by-cai-/cPath/209_214/products_id/4274

Centry Arms AK-74 - $339.99

I've delt with J&G Sales personally....not only are they among the cheapest, but they have great customer service.

J&G is where I got my VZ for the $429 I mentioned. It's a neato rifle

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...eceiver,-by-cai-backordered-/products_id/3281

Go with the AK47. Here in wa they are legal to hunt with.

classicarms.us has the best deal

The best bang out there is buy a 7.62X39 saiga and convert it, or buy one already done.

AK 74 > AK 47 > AR.

I'll take an AK over an AR any day.

Now THAT statement I can't agree with. Each rifle has a purpose and their pros and cons. Although the AK is a very durable weapon, it is not nearly as accurate at the AR. Vise versa when it comes to reliability.

If I was going to be all guillied up hunting someone that I needed to pick off at 200 Meters and up, I'd pick my AR over my AK. Now if I was going room by room I'd pick the AK.

I have both guns and to this day I cannot say which gun is better than the other. As a battle rifle...the AK wins hands down. You can drag it, bury it, drop it, throw it under water, shoot the crap out of it and neglect cleaning it- and it will still fire as if it came from the manufacturer.

The AR is a very versitile platform that can take virtually any type of optic and fit virtually any type of mission.

But when it comes to price, reliability, durability, and combat effectiveness- the AK wins hands down.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top