JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
NW Firearms AK aficionados! I'm sure that this path has been trodden before and, despite my diving in to multiple threads on this and other firearm forums, I still can't seem to come up with a clear solution. So here's my sitch:

I've just purchased my first AK, an Arsenal SAM7R, and am still getting familiar and comfortable with the platform (reeeeeeallly looking forward to good weather coming back to Portland...). Among the upgrades I'd like to make is to install an M4/AR style buffer and stock assembly. For as popular as the milled Bulgarian AK is supposed to be, there seem to be remarkably few options to install an adapter without removing one or both tangs off the receiver (which I'm not particularly excited about doing).

The Desert Fox adapter seems to be a good choice, but still requires the removal of the lower tang. In looking at the inside of receiver, the lower tang appears to be riveted in place and seems like it could be drilled out and reinstalled as needed. However, looking at the underside of the receiver, the rivets also seem to be holding the grip nut assembly in place. Which would seem to make removing the rivets a pretty bad idea.

So here is the ask, NW Firearms brain trust: Is there an easier way to accomplish the AR-style butt stock install? Or can I safely remove the rivets and re-secure the grip nut assembly with a nut/bolt combo? Or am I an airman-out-of-luck for a stock switch-out? I've attached some pics for your perusal.

Thanks for your consideration! Standing by for pearls of wisdom... SAM7R rear view.jpg Lower Tang Rivets.jpg Receiver underside.jpg

CAA used to make something. Not sure if they are even still in business. I couldn't find it online minus old pictures.

1580357635687.jpeg

CAA used to make something. Not sure if they are even still in business. I couldn't find it online minus old pictures.

View attachment 655094
They still are. As for that item, idk.
I have always preferred folding stock on AKs, I think it is one of their strengths.

These guys usually have a lot of options...
Wide Variety of AK-47 Receiver Adapters amnd Receiver Blocks for Sale
including that CAA @Reno mentions, product looks to be discontinued.

The AK files seams to wield the same results...
Arsenal SAM7R - Stock options? - The AK Files Forums
Now with that brownells ar180 upper thing ARs can have em too, and still shoot and all that fun stuff. Cause who doesn't like to essentially shoot a pistol with a 16" barrel?

I prefer the original folding stocks tbh, even if they are a little short. But other than CAA it looks like no lower tang?

IMO.. I would not cut the tangs off. Id leave it.. especially something with resell value..
YMMV
Sometimes holding off on a permanent modification gives the market or suppliers time enough to come out with something creative.

I cut the rear tang off my Saiga .308, two years later they came out with amazing flush adapters that required zero permanent modification.

IMO.. I would not cut the tangs off. Id leave it.. especially something with resell value..
YMMV
Sometimes holding off on a permanent modification gives the market or suppliers time enough to come out with something creative.

I cut the rear tang off my Saiga .308, two years later they came out with amazing flush adapters that required zero permanent modification.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I feel the same way. Messing with rivets is one thing, but I'm a little queasy about permanently screwing up the rear of the receiver I just dropped a thousand bucks on. At least I assured my wife it was a thousand...o_O

The Bonesteel Arms folding stock has an options for 2-tang milled, so my hope is it's a straightforward bolt-on solution. I hope to have on on before summer, so I'll let you know how it works.

They still are. As for that item, idk.

Now with that brownells ar180 upper thing ARs can have em too, and still shoot and all that fun stuff. Cause who doesn't like to essentially shoot a pistol with a 16" barrel?

I prefer the original folding stocks tbh, even if they are a little short. But other than CAA it looks like no lower tang?

I think there is a 2-tang option with the Bonesteel Arms folder. I intend to find out before the weather gets too much better!

Yeah, that's the tubular folder. The M4 style looks a little more "normal". Like it's level and you could get a decent cheek-weld... Ping them about that one if you've got some access!:D
1581046812598.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top