JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They are Yugoslavian mags which essentially have bolt hold open followers in them, after the last round the bolt holds back because it is hitting the follower, as you can imagine, once you remove the magazine the bolt will obviously slam forward.

What are the physical differences to look for?
Are the magazines any harder to remove from the rifle because of this feature?
I think this could be a good feature.
Any pictures?
Thanks
Jim

avoid them... the M1 carbine mags had a similar feature for a while, while it may be nice that the bolt holds open it keeps the magazine from dropping out properly. (because the bolt is pressing against the follower of the magazine, it locks the bolt open, and holds the magazine in place) If a regular AK mag was $15, I might give someone $5 for one... I had some of these years and years ago, and I hated them. It sounds like a neat feature until you actually go to use it.

Thanks for the 'insite'. Thats why I have found them for as low as $9.95 apiece?
I have a Romanian WASR 10.
Tapco's won't even fit inside the rifles mag well.
I'm looking for a source for good quality spare mags.
Suggestions?

You might be able to find the followers on a parts site and swap them into your mags - no guarantees on how well another follower will work in your mags though...

<broken link removed>

I will admit to having limited experience in this field (seeing as how I sold my last AK over 10 years ago), I can't tell you what mags will work, but I can tell you which mags you don't want. Back when I bought a crapton of mags I was buying yugoslav surplus mags and they worked really well in my MAK90, and I think I was getting them for about $5 each at the gun shows. I also had a bunch of chinese mags that also worked flawlessly *BOGGLE*

avoid them... the M1 carbine mags had a similar feature for a while, while it may be nice that the bolt holds open it keeps the magazine from dropping out properly. (because the bolt is pressing against the follower of the magazine, it locks the bolt open, and holds the magazine in place) If a regular AK mag was $15, I might give someone $5 for one... I had some of these years and years ago, and I hated them. It sounds like a neat feature until you actually go to use it.

This.

BHO is a waste of time on an AK.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews