JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How's the eye cup with glasses/goggles?...Remove it I assume?
Squeeze into it and hope for the best. Usually I lift the one side of the glasses.
I've had a couple of the belorussian optics that the light failed on them
Usually an issue with the POSPs from Belarus, but the PO 4x17 has no such issue. It also costs more than the POSPs.

The main issue is the PO 4x17 isn't night vision compatibly, even on lowest setting the light is too bright.

Squeeze into it and hope for the best. Usually I lift the one side of the glasses.

Usually an issue with the POSPs from Belarus, but the PO 4x17 has no such issue. It also costs more than the POSPs.

The main issue is the PO 4x17 isn't night vision compatibly, even on lowest setting the light is too bright.
Isn't there a country in South America that uses NVG and scope similar to the PO?

So with this Zastava ZPAP (Yugo pattern), would a Polish bakelite type pistol grip bolt on ?
z-p-a-p-m-7-0-view6.jpg

So with this Zastava ZPAP (Yugo pattern), would a Polish bakelite type pistol grip bolt on ?
View attachment 976886
Pretty much. You might have to use a different screw and torque it down good to cinch it up. The Yugos use a slightly different grip angle base plate. and typically use a slightly longer screw. I agree that the ZPAP dong grips are pretty ugly. If you are interested I just placed an order for some Yugo M76 grips from the Czech republic. Theres only one company in the world that sells them and they are rare as hens teeth. The company that sells them is a royal PITA to order from as well. I ordered a pile of them and I am going to sell off 8 of them once they arrive ( in a couple of months ) .

FWIW there may be a slight shortage in the next 6 months to year in the AK world that has nothing to do with panic buying so if you are thinking about buying one don't hesitate. Matt Schuster of ironwood designs died last week and ironwood made most of the US made wood for 922r compliant AK's sold in the US. Yes, other folks make wood but he had a high volume CNC shop and until the dust settles there may be a US made wood shortage short term.

Last Edited:
What @wired said about grip and screw… as far as the dong is concerned… cut it off to a shark fin if you want to keep something… I don't like the thin profile of the Bakelite grip but it's a personal thing… fab defense has a better angle of a grip and if I did Magpul I would wrap it up with tennis racket tape

Rule of thumb: Yugo, Chinese, and Czech are unique and not interchangeable. Combloc AKM, for the most part, are compatible. Hungarian lower handguards/handguard retainers are a little funky but can be made to work with alteration.

I did not type this out but Rob is an awesome guy and he pointed me to the AK and correct information years ago. "So called "milled" type is basically AK receiver made during machining process out of solid block of metal by use of different milling machines. On the other hand, so called "stamped" Ak receiver is made by use of stamping press, where receivers, literally are stamp out in sheet metal. This is as basic description of manufacturing processes as it gets. Supporters of "milled" version very often appeal to "purists" crowd by falsely stating that first AK was manufactured based on machined receiver. According to them, this is the only "acceptable" way how AK rifles should be built. This argument can't be farther from the truth. In reality, AK 46 (yes, "46"), was produced as two prototypes: one with a milled receiver (AK-1) and one with a stamped receiver (AK-2). AK-2 was to be an end product while AK-1 was to be used during field testing by the Red Army. Because of these field trials and based on feedback from the testing units, other AK versions were produced. Finally, in 1949 (yes it was 1949), the prototype AK-47 number 2 and number 4 were accepted by the Red Army and their official designations became AK (with fixed stock) and AKS (with under-folding stock). As my friend Bart "Sergei" Norman wrote in one of his articles on this subject "Both the AK-47 number 2 and number 4 had a specific receiver that was deep stamped.

View attachment 896431
AK Type 1. Picture from Bart "Sergei" Norman
These were called AK type I". So there you have it, AK type 1 was made on stamped receiver and not machined one, like "milled" supporters and "purists" would like you to believe. Originally AK was designed to be made on stamped receiver; however, at that time the Izhevsk factory that was awarded production of the AK rifles did not have the capacity for a mass production using deep stamping (deep drawing) method. So out of necessity, the AK type II was created based on machined receivers. Now, let's have a look at some other arguments used in these "Stamped vs Milled" discussions. One of the points used to support "milled" way of thinking is claim that only machined receivers can give durability to survive decades of battlefield abuse. This is another "stretched" argument."

This is what he said to help explain a little bit about milled vs stamped.
Definitive history of the Kalashnikov:

National Firearms Collection curator at the National Museum of American History, administered by the Smithsonian Institution. He was also founding Director of the Institute for Research on Small Arms in International Security.

Definitive history of the Kalashnikov:

National Firearms Collection curator at the National Museum of American History, administered by the Smithsonian Institution. He was also founding Director of the Institute for Research on Small Arms in International Security.
I didnt read the book but did he let the cat out of the bag about Hugo Schmeisser actually being the developer? Otherwise the book is tripe.

Dang this thread has grown! I own 3 AKs, bought my first (Zpap92) for a great deal and have way more fun shooting AK than I do my ARs.

I have a Zpap92, Sam7sf and a Romainian battle pick-up w/trench art. Ive been collecting mags lately and picked up some pretty cool stuff. Following for intel.

Dang this thread has grown! I own 3 AKs, bought my first (Zpap92) for a great deal and have way more fun shooting AK than I do my ARs.
I have only one, but you're right, shooting it is more fun than the AR. Hella easier to clean, that's for sure!

So what about the Yugo Bolt Hold Open feature.
Is that a thing ?
Seems like there should be a way for the bolt to stay open after empty mag removal ?
Yes and no. The Yugo BHO only works on yugo mags and it doesnt lock the bolt open . It just keeps it open after the last round until you pull the empty mag

Whet do you think of the Yugo grip angle vs. the conventional grip angle ?
If I could change my middle name to Yugo AK I would. Everything about them is better.

That grip is only on there until my care package from the Czech republic comes in full of Yugo M76 grips. Those are even more betterrer because theyre made out of wood!.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top