JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Downside to buying stripped AK lower? What tools are needed for building your own?
I am about to find out, I have two flats but no practical way to bend them and then I don't have a welder of any kind for the internal rails, So I bought an AKM blank, already bent and rails welded, and it is hardened as it is 1 MM, not 1.5 MM.

I am waiting on the barrel that has been shipped, and then I should have all the parts

I will use a Guide and clamp it to the Blank, mark the hole locations, put one side in the vice, use a hand drill. I may have to drill the barrel for the gas port.

I am about to find out, I have two flats but no practical way to bend them and then I don't have a welder of any kind for the internal rails, So I bought an AKM blank, already bent and rails welded, and it is hardened as it is 1 MM, not 1.5 MM.

I am waiting on the barrel that has been shipped, and then I should have all the parts

I will use a Guide and clamp it to the Blank, mark the hole locations, put one side in the vice, use a hand drill. I may have to drill the barrel for the gas port.
Nice and you are going to need a 40ton press… let me see if I can post a link

Picked up one of the James River AK's they build with shortened to 16" M72 RPK Green Mountain barrels. Better than I thought it would be is a massive understatement. All numbers matching and the parts kit they built it from looks unissued to my eyes.

yugo2.jpg

Picked up one of the James River AK's they build with shortened to 16" M72 RPK Green Mountain barrels. Better than I thought it would be is a massive understatement. All numbers matching and the parts kit they built it from looks unissued to my eyes.

View attachment 975223
I see that it barrel has grooves in which probably aids in the cooling off of the barrel when it was built for full auto mode in the past?

I see that it barrel has grooves in which probably aids in the cooling off of the barrel when it was built for full auto mode in the past?
The barrel is patterned after a Yugoslavian M72B1 RPK which had a fat 21" long finned barrel with a bipod. Green Mountain made a run of 16" barrels with the same profile and the same cooling fins for use with Yugo RPK parts kits to make a heavy carbine.

I like the concept. It's not a factory design but its still pretty cool.

Got a 6X care package from Russia today . FWIW Russian made scopes are better than the supposedly identical Byelorussian ( Kalinka ) scopes.

View attachment 975878

View attachment 975879
Tbh between Belarusian and Russian optics, I've only ever had one optic annoy me by being a good overall optic. The PO 4x17 I have that was made in Belarus annoys me.

Good glass, decent reticle, really wide POV, and built on a tough design. If it wasn't for the short eye relief it'd almost be the perfect optic for a 5.45! And it annoys me that I can't bring myself to actually get rid of it.

Tbh between Belarusian and Russian optics, I've only ever had one optic annoy me by being a good overall optic. The PO 4x17 I have that was made in Belarus annoys me.

Good glass, decent reticle, really wide POV, and built on a tough design. If it wasn't for the short eye relief it'd almost be the perfect optic for a 5.45! And it annoys me that I can't bring myself to actually get rid of it.
I've had a couple of the belorussian optics that the light failed on them

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads