JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know much about the myriad AK pattern rifles. I bought one some years ago from Atlantic because I figured I needed an AK 47!. Purported to be a Polish parts kit (I have Hungarian blood running in my veins from my fathers side) that was the closest I could get. It has a "circle 11" on the receiver. A terrible thick plastic covering on the red, laminated stock that peels. (I'd like to get that off and rough it up a bit, and oil it.) I've shot several hundred rounds with it and not an issue. The supposed nickel plated bolt has peeled some. Doesn't seem to hamper firing though.
That one they took a Yugoslav M72 RPK parts kit and mated up with a barrel Green mountain made that is essentially a 7" shorter version of their M72 pattern RPK Yugo barrel. Theyre good barrels. Better than the original Yugo stuff. Then they made a short barrel RPK out of the mess. Basically a short version of an RPK using RPK wood and a heavy barrel. There never was a M72B1 but its still a cool thing. I understand they need a bit of clean up work as they used Yugo demilled parts kits which tended to be cosmoline heavy . A few years ago they were blowing those kits out at under $50 on the wholesale side but finding one under $500 is tough these days and thats without a barrel. That RPK clone I had in this picture was from a complete virgin never assembled parts kit and that set was under $300 15 years ago. You'd give $1500 for that parts set these days if you could even find one.

Forget about finding those fat M76 grips. I love them dearly. I have one source in the Czech republic. Theyre such a pain to order from though. No one else in the world has them.

In any case that 16" RPK setup is pretty cool. Heavy as all getup but the price is OK on todays market .

rpk.jpg

Last Edited:
Also if we can post different places that we find good deals on please do so. Share your pictures of what things look like. If you have any gun smith's that do outstanding work on AK, RPK, SVD, SKS and even cerakoting whatever share with us!

Thanks everyone for helping us new and more experienced AK owners

I don't know much about the myriad AK pattern rifles. I bought one some years ago from Atlantic because I figured I needed an AK 47!. Purported to be a Polish parts kit (I have Hungarian blood running in my veins from my fathers side) that was the closest I could get. It has a "circle 11" on the receiver. A terrible thick plastic covering on the red, laminated stock that peels. (I'd like to get that off and rough it up a bit, and oil it.) I've shot several hundred rounds with it and not an issue. The supposed nickel plated bolt has peeled some. Doesn't seem to hamper firing though.
You would love those Hunky AKs if you have the blood. My hapa Hunky/Pinoy friend loves his.

FA AMD 65 is a hoot to blast with.

Last Edited:
AOA has some Romanian RPK and Polish parts kits, not cheap but good parts for a build.

The Kolarms kits look interesting. I see they off a headspacing service for $300 additional which I assume includes barrel assembly. I'm not sure how you'd rivet the gun together with the barrel pinned in place though. I suppose for screw builds it would work.

The more I dig into this question, the more certain I become that the best AKs are not made in Russia ... and some aren't even (technically) AKs!
Russian AK's are the best in terms of being the most mass produced and consistent. From a "quality" standpoint, in the manufacturing world that is a objective term, they probably have the fewest defects get out the door. That doesnt mean much to the end user who's looking for something more than milquetoast.

Russian AK's are the best in terms of being the most mass produced and consistent. From a "quality" standpoint, in the manufacturing world that is a objective term, they probably have the fewest defects get out the door. That doesnt mean much to the end user who's looking for something more than milquetoast.
I agree with you about the quality control aspect of Russian made AK

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top