JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would agree.

But . So many variables intersecting right now. 2k is a tough pill to swallow for a rifle anyone could have bought for $800 5 years ago.
But it ain't 5 years ago.
Things might settle down, or plateau, but when? 2026?
Several decent AK's still in the $1000-1100 range or less. Spending more isnt going to get you a better gun. AR's are still cheap.

Several decent AK's still in the $1000-1100 range or less. Spending more isnt going to get you a better gun. AR's are still cheap.
AR being cheaper only for someone to upgrade it and have it the cost of average AK.

It's like when people talk about the price of Glock mags vs H&K or Sig… we're accustomed to the cheaper mags

AR being cheaper only for someone to upgrade it and have it the cost of average AK.

It's like when people talk about the price of Glock mags vs H&K or Sig… we're accustomed to the cheaper mags
Upgrading is a Barbie gun mentality. No need to do it unless you just have more expendable income to get rid of. A entry level AR does everything a Gucci level AR does but it doesnt impress your friends on Arfcom. Same holds true with AK's. Except Romanian of course because their sights are canted.

Upgrading is a Barbie gun mentality. No need to do it unless you just have more expendable income to get rid of. A entry level AR does everything a Gucci level AR does but it doesnt impress your friends on Arfcom. Same holds true with AK's. Except Romanian of course because their sights are canted.
I refer to upgrades as in getting optics and for me it's about comfort and convenience… give 2 fkz about the new fad that everyone else is doing… and yes I am the type that uses my irons but still like the option of a decent optic…

I havent seen MOST guns go up in price that much. Years of market saturation seem to be keeping prices and availability somewhat reasonable. Ammo on the other hand.
how much is THAT much???Where the heck do you live? At least 25 or more increase, some 50% , in most semi-auto long guns here with some much higher than that.Thats the private market Handguns not as much with some manufacturers, like Glocks, not much at all now that they have been able to restock. Shops are gouging still too.
I was at a shop the other day and there were NO AK's under $1K. Thats for Rileys and Century guns.Those were $500-$600 here last year.They had 1 Arsenal 107 they wanted $2K for. I could get those all day for a grand last year. . When Chinese SKS are going for $800& could buy them all day long for $300-$400 a year ago.I call B.S.

I refer to upgrades as in getting optics and for me it's about comfort and convenience… give 2 fkz about the new fad that everyone else is doing… and yes I am the type that uses my irons but still like the option of a decent optic…
3 point slings. Lol

Laser on a scope, with a pigtail, on a riser, with a rear view mirror.

Not as much as they were a year or so ago. I built a M4 PSA last year for $250 because it was so dirt cheap. The same kit/lower is close to double that now.

I'm referring more to the post Sandy Hook situation where there was Nothing on the shelves and you couldn't find a buttstock screw for sale. This is a cakewalk.oh no, 25-50% more boohoo. It could be 500% more. Wait till more inport bans start .then you'll wish you had bought those $1000 AKs.

I'm referring more to the post Sandy Hook situation where there was Nothing on the shelves and you couldn't find a buttstock screw for sale. This is a cakewalk.oh no, 25-50% more boohoo. It could be 500% more. Wait till more inport bans start .then you'll wish you had bought those $1000 AKs.
There is already a ban on Russian and Chinese ak's but the rest of the import Ak's come from nato allies there is no import ban happening with our nato allies.

Last Edited:
Russian AK's are the best in terms of being the most mass produced and consistent. From a "quality" standpoint, in the manufacturing world that is a objective term, they probably have the fewest defects get out the door. That doesnt mean much to the end user who's looking for something more than milquetoast.
I think this applies to a lot of Russian hardware, honestly. The Soviets cranked out a ridiculous number of tanks, aircraft, etc. that performed consistently in hard conditions and with indifferent maintenance. History demonstrates this time and time again. So I would agree that Russian-made AK-47s (or 74s) were the best option for equipping, say, a motorized rifle division about to deploy to Afghanistan in 1983.

I would add that a low-end, unmodified AK will probably run better than a comparably-priced low-end, unmodified AR. I know some people get all caught up in the stamped/milled argument, but the AK was designed that way and the stamped versions are reliable and durable. Pricier AKs (e.g. Krebs, Rifle Dynamics) are obviously better than the cheap ones and easier to upgrade, but the same goes for fancy ARs.

I started out trying to argue the point, but if I understand your post correctly I think we pretty much agree: pound for pound, the Soviets made the most reliable AKs but others have improved upon that design in significant ways. I have a newer C39V2 myself (hasn't blown up yet), and spend half the time wishing I had bought a Polish AK and the other half wishing I had gone with a $2,500 super-AK. Live and learn!

No i wont. I got MORE than enough.More than 95% of anybody on this site.Hell ive got stuff i didnt even remember I had. All bought way back in the day. Got 7.62 I paid 5 cents a round for STILL.Lots of it!I See I saw the writing on the wall 30+ years ago and planned accordingly. So no boohoo here and don't worry your pretty little head missy!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top