JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok so why? RPK receiver and parts means what to a new shooter& or owner of an AK.
A more robust rifle. Beefed up everything (receiver, rivets, barrel, etc) means less recoil and heat. Think of a rifle somewhere between a stamped receiver and milled receiver.

The downside is the weight, slanted receiver, non threaded barrel, and limited furniture options IMO.

This only applies to the Vepr K in 7.62, I haven't had my hands on any other Vepr variants than that particular model/caliber.

Nothing against Chicom AKs. Personally, I lean toward the Polytech line and GSAD spikers when it comes to Chicom rifles.

Last Edited:
More stable scope mounting , less flex and less vertical stringing as the barrel heats up. Looks cooler too.
On some stamped receivers, like RPK, the sheet metal is thicker which gives it the stability. There are also milled RPK receivers too.

One AK variant or caliber that has not been mentioned is the Dragunov Tiger (SVD) in 7.62 X 54r which will not only ring the 8" plate at 300m but much farther.
Many different makers and most are very costly.

On some stamped receivers, like RPK, the sheet metal is thicker which gives it the stability. There are also milled RPK receivers too.

One AK variant or caliber that has not been mentioned is the Dragunov Tiger (SVD) in 7.62 X 54r which will not only ring the 8" plate at 300m but much farther.
There is nothing even remotely AK ish about an SVD

Nothing against Chicom AKs. Personally, I lean toward the Polytech line and GSAD spikers when it comes to Chicom rifles.
Poly tech (technologies) and Golden State are great Ak's not much difference from Norincos. Valmet M62 are still top of the line, Galil and Old Yugo are next. Polytech/Norinco are right up there with them too.
I am not interested in any USA made AK or cheap Mexican made which is absolutely at the bottom!

Why? They're made on the same operating principles and design, just larger. It's like saying an AR-10 is not the same as an AR
Not even close. Completely different action. The SVD is a rotating short stroke system. Other designated marksman guns like the Yugo M76 and the Romanian PSL are just big AKs. The actual Dragunoffs are completely different design guns that only superficially resemble Kalashnikovs. Internally the SVD and the AK couldn't be more different.

Last Edited:
Poly tech (technologies) and Golden State are great Ak's not much difference from Norincos. Valmet M62 are still top of the line, Galil and Old Yugo are next. Polytech/Norinco are right up there with them too.
I am not interested in any USA made AK or cheap Mexican made which is absolutely at the bottom!
All Chicoms are pretty much the same. GSAD spikers look cool and having a rifle with a California import mark is interesting in this day and age.

For me (interest only/attraction): Russian/Bulgarian, East German, Polish, Yugo, Egyptian, Chinese, Romanian.
Fit/Finish/Metallurgy: East German, Polish, Yugo, Chinese, Old Russian/Romanian.

I'd go with a MAK mostly because I no experience with Veprs and know the MAk is a solid weapon and is the Chinese product I don't feel bad buying.

All the stamped Chinese recievers are 1.5's!

More stable scope mounting , less flex and less vertical stringing as the barrel heats up. Looks cooler too.
I personally don't like side mount optics… don't like anything in the way of removing dust cover. But I understand why people like that

The downside is the weight, slanted receiver, non threaded barrel, and limited furniture options IMO.
Exact reason why I don't like the Vepr… want the option to upgrade if I choose. If I chose the Vepr or RPK I would have to get the barrel cut, crowned, threaded and pin and weld a break.

Exact reason why I don't like the Vepr… want the option to upgrade if I choose. If I chose the Vepr or RPK I would have to get the barrel cut, crowned, threaded and pin and weld a break.
The Vepr I had came with a 16" barrel. Not a big fan of the new Vepr models to be honest. I had a Yugo M72 but sold it because a 7.62x39 RPK isn't as practical as a standard AKM, IMO. If I am going heavy, it will be a milled AK of some type.

The Vepr I had came with a 16" barrel. Not a big fan of the new Vepr models to be honest. I had a Yugo M72 but sold it because a 7.62x39 RPK isn't as practical as a standard AKM, IMO. If I am going heavy, it will be a milled AK of some type.
I have a WASR 3 that I have to get it threaded so I figured go pin and weld it along with cutting the barrel… then I figured might as well go ahead with standard RH thread

I have a WASR 3 that I have to get it threaded so I figured go pin and weld it along with cutting the barrel… then I figured might as well go ahead with standard RH thread
I am a leave it original kind of guy because of resale potential. Nothing wrong with personal modifications what-so-ever though.

Resale value is definitely one thing to think about… but certain things are not ever going to be for sale lol… if I had an RPK, FB Beryl or Vepr those would be in that category
I have been eyeballing a Beryl but have not had my hands on any of the new Polish rifles. I paid to play already and built an Oynk out of a Tantal kit so that itch is somewhat scratched.

I will say as a AR builder, I thought a AK would be a cheap piece of cake to build and shoot. I do not find it 'fun' 'cheap' or pleasurable. Now you are telling me the recoil too! What is the number of the suicide prevention hotline again?

I will try to persevere. I will bravely continue. You guys a scaring me though.

I last shot an AK in '69 and did not recall any significant recoil.

I will say as a AR builder, I thought a AK would be a cheap piece of cake to build and shoot. I do not find it 'fun' 'cheap' or pleasurable. Now you are telling me the recoil too! What is the number of the suicide prevention hotline again?

I will try to persevere. I will bravely continue. You guys a scaring me though.

I last shot an AK in '69 and did not recall any significant recoil.
LOL, took out 2 ARs shooting this week and it was the first time I did not take an AK. Came back and disassembled the whole thing to clean and swore I would never buy another AR. My buddy came over and helped me finish off a couple of things but at least I know how to build an AR now. bubblegum those springs and detent pins.

AK building is a whole other ball game. Not easy but not impossible. I have never populated any barrels so I have zero experience with that.

There were quite a few milled AKs in VN, not all but some. Maybe you shot one of those.

IMO, 5.45x39 is the sweet spot with AKs, very little recoil but a little more loving than 5.56.

Last Edited:
Reason why I have noticed when people complain about AK recoil is based on the fact that they stand wrong when shooting it… it's not an AR… so stop with the bladed stance… Also we're not turtles so don't keep scrunching your neck and shoulders…

Last Edited:
I've built more than a few. Hardest part is getting the sights straight .
I was fortunate to build off barreled kits and when I did not have a barreled kit (Egyptian and Polish fixed stock kits) I had a great source for barrel population before he passed away.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top